The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 10, 2020, 11:53 PM   #26
Dan-O

Especially if it’s in .327

I have the 3” in .357, but can’t if it were in .327 id carry it more
Old July 11, 2020, 06:43 AM   #27
jetinteriorguy

I’d love a 3”LCRx in .327 mag, probably the only gun I’d even be interested in buying anymore. Although a 6shot .327 mag version SP101 with a 3” barrel would Trump that.
Old July 11, 2020, 01:45 PM   #28
TruthTellers

I was originally interested in the 3" .327 LCRx, but after a while I can't see what it's going to do better as a carry gun than the snub LCR .327 or what it's going to do better than the heavier, recoil reducing, longer barrel 4 inch SP101.

Thus, I don't see the point to it.

This is where I can see the advantage of taking the Aluminum frame LCR and chambering it for .32 H&R Mag. Then you'd have the 3 inch barrel for the LCR, but it would weigh 16oz.
Old July 12, 2020, 01:58 PM   #29
Mannlicher

My 3 inch Model 60 .357 gets a lot of holster time. It has proved a great kayak revolver on the rivers and lakes in North Fl, and especially welcome when paddling salt creeks and marshes.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 14, 2020, 11:22 AM   #30
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
I was originally interested in the 3" .327 LCRx, but after a while I can't see what it's going to do better as a carry gun than the snub LCR .327 or what it's going to do better than the heavier, recoil reducing, longer barrel 4 inch SP101.

Thus, I don't see the point to it.

This is where I can see the advantage of taking the Aluminum frame LCR and chambering it for .32 H&R Mag. Then you'd have the 3 inch barrel for the LCR, but it would weigh 16oz.
Going back to when the LCR first came out, before they even had magnum frames, I wished for a six-shot in .32 H&R Magnum. That would have been a sweet little carry gun.

The LCR 327 is still my most-carried gun, only losing out to higher-capacity semi-autos when cold weather bulks up my wardrobe. It's a dandy little gun and I've gotten fairly proficient with it. I keep it loaded with the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in .327 Federal.

I'm still hoping that Ruger does a 3" LCRX in .327 Federal. They've had the 3" magnum frame available for a while now. There are definitely times when I'd carry that. The 4" SP101 is nice but honestly, I never carry it. It's svelte for its size but still heavy. Like any 4" steel revolver, the EDC footprint has it competing with polymer-framed semi-autos with twice the capacity. That relegates my 4" SP101 to the range and "BBQ Gun" categories.
Old July 17, 2020, 01:53 AM   #31
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
Going back to when the LCR first came out, before they even had magnum frames, I wished for a six-shot in .32 H&R Magnum. That would have been a sweet little carry gun.

The LCR 327 is still my most-carried gun, only losing out to higher-capacity semi-autos when cold weather bulks up my wardrobe. It's a dandy little gun and I've gotten fairly proficient with it. I keep it loaded with the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in .327 Federal.

I'm still hoping that Ruger does a 3" LCRX in .327 Federal. They've had the 3" magnum frame available for a while now. There are definitely times when I'd carry that. The 4" SP101 is nice but honestly, I never carry it. It's svelte for its size but still heavy. Like any 4" steel revolver, the EDC footprint has it competing with polymer-framed semi-autos with twice the capacity. That relegates my 4" SP101 to the range and "BBQ Gun" categories.
I'd never choose to carry the 4" SP as an EDC over a semi auto, but I'd open carry it. The 2" .327 LCR I would EDC over the 3", especially on a hot day.
Old July 17, 2020, 09:21 AM   #32
tallball

I wouldn't want to readjust to carrying something like an SP101 after carrying an LCR regularly for several years now.

A 3" S&W aluminum j-frame is another good CC choice. I think there are models with adjustable sights.
Old July 17, 2020, 11:51 AM   #33
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallball View Post
I wouldn't want to readjust to carrying something like an SP101 after carrying an LCR regularly for several years now.

A 3" S&W aluminum j-frame is another good CC choice. I think there are models with adjustable sights.
Me either. The SP101 is a pretty gun but the weight and relatively bad stock trigger are a hard step backwards.

I don't know how many people still care about this but the ILS hole on most S&W revolvers still makes me wary for EDC. I know it's extremely rare but it can fail. It is also a visual reminder of government pressure to infringe upon our rights.

That, the excellent stock trigger, the overall ergonomics, and the ability to carry six shots of .327 Federal have all cemented the LCR as my favorite carry revolver. A 3" model would fill one of the few gaps I have left in my carry rotation.