The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 13, 2020, 11:56 AM   #26
Hal

I personally don't care for using a .22 to train - or even practice with.
IMHO - it teaches bad habits.

The low cost of the .22 ammunition - leads to the habit of thinking, "Oh well, I flubbed a shot. It's only a .22 so - no big deal".

On the other hand, anyone shooting real expensive premium self-defense ammunition is going to take the time to cross all the "Ts" and dot all the "Is' - in order to teach discipline.
( it doesn't have to be the expensive premium SD stuff - but - I don't feel there's any harm in not telling them that - for the time being)

Plus - over the years I've found that new shooters get real tired of the .22 real fast & try to rush things along just to get to the next step.

I fell the best compromise is - to use a limited amount of 9mm or .38 spl., so the newer shooter knows that when it's gone, the fun is over.

Once they've developed decent habits, then drag out the .22 and the brick of "shoot'em-up" and have a ball. By that time, the new shooter shoulld be up to trying some real challenging shots.
Old July 13, 2020, 03:12 PM   #27
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
Train with a .22 LR. To put a shot in the X-ring, regardless of the caliber, the basic fundamentals of pistol shooting are still required. Stance, grip, sight picture, trigger press, and follow through are the same when shooting a .22 LR, a 9mm or a .45acp. Don't totally ignore the larger calibers, but train mostly with the .22 LR.
I agree. 22 LR definitely. Inexpensive so he can shoot a lot, accurate as anything and more so than most. Next I would say TRIGGER PULL. If it doesn't have a nice trigger he will never shoot accurately regardless how much practice, and if he intends to master a DA trigger that's another whole bucket of snakes. Personally I have no use for any DA gun other than a DA/SA gun for that first quick shot. I do not even try to shoot DA accurately ... after untold hours and thousands of rounds trying I have simply hung an "Impossible" label on it and don't even waste my time trying any more.

But whatever type of 22 he picks, it should closely resemble characteristics of guns of whatever larger calibers he is likely to migrate to. Training with the most accurate gun I have ever shot (my Ruger MKIII Competition) is useless for anything else because it doesn't resemlbe anything else. I love my 45ACP 1911 but I train with a Walther full-size 22 1911. I often carry a Bersa Thunder 380 but train with a Bersa Thunder 22. You get the idea.

Old July 14, 2020, 04:33 PM   #28
SIGSHR

I did not learn to shoot a handgun until I practiced Bullseye with my High Standard Victor and lately I have found the Ciener units make for low cost practice. I recommend the CZ with their Kadet unit in a factory package.