The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 25, 2020, 12:30 AM   #1
Geezerbiker

Choke tube removal

As I talked about in the shotgun forum here, I have a new Savage 320 barrel. I'd like to remove the choke tube and lube with anti-seize compound and reinstall it before I shoot any rounds though it...

Anyway what I know is that the Savage 320 shotgun is a Chinese copy of the Winchester 1300. What I'd like to know and I haven't been able to find out searching on the net, is will it use the same choke tubes and removal tool as Winchester chokes.

Anybody here have any experience with this?

Tony
Old June 25, 2020, 12:41 AM   #2
Geezerbiker

Never mind. I got it out and you're going to think I'm nuts with how I did it. I picked up a quarter off my office floor and it kinda looked like the right size. I held it in my Leatherman tool and the choke tube turned right out.

I should have thought of that sooner...

Tony
Old June 25, 2020, 08:58 AM   #3
FITASC

Quarters are decent, but they typically do not seat in the notches completely. Anti-seize works, as does grease (like RIG or Shooter's Choice, as does even a light coating of oil. Just remember when you clean your gun to remove and clean the threads of the choke tube AND the threads in the barrel.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 26, 2020, 09:27 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Years ago I was at the front desk in a Bearings Inc. location and noticed the full line of Bostik Never-Seez products in a display rack at the time. I read the labels and wound up picking up a can of their nickel-based product rated for nuclear reactor stainless steam fittings. I got it because it guarantees to prevent galling between plain to stainless or stainless to stainless fittings, and stainless barrels on carbon steel receivers are common to put together. It cost more than the standard copper-based product, but man does that stuff work a treat. Spec sheet here.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 26, 2020, 10:06 AM   #5
Doyle

That stuff sounds good Nick. The basic anti-seize stuff I've always liked is spark-plug anti-seize from the auto parts store. Cheap and made for a dirty, high-temperature environment.
Old June 26, 2020, 10:26 AM   #6
Pahoo

Copper based, lets you know it's there

On M/L application, I use the copper based anti-size and have tried the nickel base and found that even though it did prevent the threads from sticking, it dried to a point where the parts were hard to un-thread. Yes, the nickle based, has a higher temp. rating. I always carry the spark-plug crayon in the field and it works very well one advantage to the copper based is the color. No guessing whether or not, it has been applied. For most choke tubes, I use BC anti-size that come in a squeeze tube. I've seen where some folks don't feel they need any and later, regret it. ……

Be Safe !!!
Old June 26, 2020, 11:23 AM   #7
Don Fischer

Well got aa new CZ Bobwhite few weeks ago and it's the first gun I ever even shot that has tubes of any kind in the barrel. In those short few weeks I've found the easiest way to deal with choke tubes is don't get them! Took mine out just to say I did but probably put it something like IC/Mod and never take them out again! Real turn off for me looking at those barrels with a lump in them where the choke goes. Not any bigger on those extended chokes either. Imagine a brand new Purdy SxS with extended chokes! WOW!
Old June 27, 2020, 01:22 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I read the labels and wound up picking up a can of their nickel-based product rated for nuclear reactor stainless steam fittings.
I worked chemical management at a DOE nuclear facility for several years. All kinds of chemical products in daily use. Nickle anti-seize products were part of every fitter's shop stock.

One of the things to be aware of is that choke tubes aren't only subject to fouling holding them in, they can also get "hammer welded" in place by the pressure of firing.

I don't think you need to remove and clean the threads every single time, but removing the choke tube once in a while is a good idea.
Old June 27, 2020, 03:07 PM   #9
FITASC

I will disagree about not cleaning them except for once in a while. Powder residue, moisture and other gunk can get in there and make them very difficult to remove. Barrels should be cleaned, and thus the choke tubes. Same for cleaning and greasing hing pins on O/Us and SxS, cleaning other wear parts and lubing, etc.

As to the swaged barrel bulge to accommodate chokes, a fixed choke barrel can have thin-wall chokes installed by Briley - no bulge.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa