The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 25, 2019, 09:54 PM   #26
littlebikerider

I'm kind of a 1 but I dabble in 2 and occasionally drift into 3.
Old November 28, 2019, 08:04 AM   #27
mikejonestkd

I am a firm type 1 owner. 30 years ago I sold a firearm, and still regret it to this day. Never again.
Old December 27, 2019, 01:06 PM   #28
Prof Young

Type two and three!

I am a combination of 2 and 3. I've been through a host of semi-auto 22LR and semi-auto 9mm trying to find the one I like to shoot. Settled on Buckmark Contour 7.25, a Ruger 22/45 wih bull barrel and a Sig P365 with safety.

I also have been selling off cheaper guns to get better, but the single six Heritage stays in the safe and gets shot on occasion. At $129 some years ago it may be the best gun by I ever made.

I go through a lot of range toys. Have an NAA black widow in the safe now but am hankering for an American Arms 45/410.

My keeper guns are my CC guns (Kel Tec p3AT, Sig p238 and the sig mentioned above.) my HD gun (Taurus public defender) my history guns (1934 Russian made mosin nagant) and the work horses (Winchester 13 12 ga with two barrels, Savage 42 for squirrel hunting.)

I also have a handful of guns to use to teach the kids to shoot. With about two dozen guns in the safe, IF I'd kept every gun I'd ever bought there'd be about five dozen.

When Carol Ann starts to think I have too many guns I just remind her that most guns retain a strong re-sale value.

Life is good.
Prof You g
Old December 27, 2019, 10:48 PM   #29
NobodyJones

I'm a 1. Never traded or sold a gun I bought for myself.
Old December 28, 2019, 05:54 AM   #30
Hal

Combination of 1,2 & 3.

I do hang onto the guns I buy - unless I just flat out don't like one - for one reason or another.

I did sell of a pair of S&W M19's - 4" barrel a few years ago - while I did like them, I had no use for them & a couple of people I knew needed them more - so - they got sold.
Old January 1, 2020, 02:11 PM   #31
jackstrawIII

Quote:
I'm in three. I keep looking for thay mythical "perfect" gun!'
Same. It’s SUPER rare for me to keep a gun longer than 2-3 years. In fact, I think I have less than 5 guns that I’ve owned at least 3 years. If I don’t absolutely love a gun, it’s gone. I’d rather have a chance of finding my next true love than having a safe fun of guns that don’t excite me.
Old January 1, 2020, 03:44 PM   #32
pwc

There ste really only the 3 groups; group 4 is caused ny crcumstances and can affect groups 1 thru 3.
Old January 1, 2020, 08:11 PM   #33
Sevens

I believe it is a constant evolution for anyone that is really deep in to this hobby/lifestyle. There was a day (decades back) where I too would declare such extreme stances as “I shall NEVER own a safe queen!” or “I’ll never sell a gun” but as time goes by and you refine what you truly love, experience changes your formerly firm views.

It also occurred to me quite some time ago that I would brain storm a hopeful purchase and then I’d spend a long time pondering and learning about that gun and the actual process of shopping for it was an extended adventure.

Which leads quite naturally to:

...learning a lot about the market and spending a lot of time watching that market. Eventually you find yourself coming across some fantastic deals on guns that you KNOW are great deals and that you know you could sell or swap... so you end up snagging them.

Planned or not, that’s how you end up having some really fantastic guns that you don’t “need” or perhaps never intended to own. So maybe you hold them. Or sell them. Or whatever.

I would have to argue that no way can you so easily create four groups and each gun guy can cleanly be slotted in to one of these groups.