The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 21, 2020, 03:47 PM   #1
tdoyka

husky 9.3x57 finally scoped!!!!!!!

it was back in august '19 when i got my gunsmith to do a couple rifles and a pistol. the pistol had a alot of head scratching but he finally got it done. i could have picked up my rifles back in august(when they were done) but they were 1 1/2 hours(gunsmith) away from me and i decided that the guns would would stay until finished. since i am handicapable, i no longer "fix" guns. oh i'll some "fixin" up, but i reserve that for the professionals.

but anyway here it was........

now is

i shoot a 280gr fn gc with 4895(i have to develop THE load) in my husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57. i have a leupold freedom in 2-7x. if it goes 3" at 100 yards(bench/5 shots), i'll be happy with that. in the area that i hunt, a 100 yards loooooooooong shot, but 30-40 yards is more likely. deer/black bear is what i hunt.

i would like to load the 280gr using 4895 at 1700-1800fps but i'll see.
Old January 21, 2020, 04:55 PM   #2
Blindstitch

Looks good. What rings are those?
Old January 21, 2020, 08:38 PM   #3
Scorch

I had a 9X57 years ago, a rebuilt German WW2 bring-back hunting rifle that had been abused and neglected. I loaded it with IMR4320 and Hornady 250 gr RN. It kicked like hell's horses because it was a lightweight carbine with a horn buttplate, but I thought it was the coolest thing.
Old January 22, 2020, 01:42 AM   #4
tdoyka

blindstitch, they are weaver 1 extended scope rings.

scorch, although the husky has a 24" barrel , it has a scandinavian birch stock that is light as feather. i had some prvi 285gr rn and 4895 and when it got to around 44.0 - 45.0gr of 4895, then you noticed the "kick". i stopped at 45.0gr of 4895 because it has all of the horsepower that i need.
Old January 31, 2020, 05:18 PM   #5
J.G. Terry

I traded into two Huskies with scopes and side mounts. Decent guns but the scopes appear to be less than functional. The side mounts are complete for 26mm scopes. I'm kicking around of leaving the bases on the rifles with new holes drilled and tapped on the top of the receiver. I started with the 8mm since I could get cartridges quickly. It was horrible. Next comes slugging the bore and using iron sights. Incidentally, no grinding on the receiver allowed!