The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 28, 2015, 09:48 PM   #51
44 AMP
Staff

At 25.5lbs the MG42 was "light" in comparison to other MGs of the day, but the Germans considered it (and the MG 34) to be GPMGs, not LMGs.

A LMG on the bipod and a Medium MG on the tripod. Since it did both, it was (perhaps the first) a General Purpose MG.

The 42 is a fast gun. Like 20rnds per second fast. Lots of fun, but takes some practice to learn to use well, without running out of ammo too soon!
Old June 29, 2015, 08:59 AM   #52
Scout

For me it was the M2.
Old July 1, 2015, 06:10 PM   #53
SC4006

I don't have experience with a terribly big variety of MGs, but I'd say my favorite would be the M2. I like it because well... I like big loud guns. Next would be the M240, that machinegun is darned near unstoppable as well. I've shot a saw once but have never been a saw gunner, I'm not really a fan of it anyways.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old July 1, 2015, 07:33 PM   #54
Ruger480

I carried the SAW in the when I was in the Army. I carried it on 20 and 30 mile road marches. I got a 2 points warning on here for evading the language filters a few weeks ago so I'll just say that I don't care for that particular weapon and leave it at that.

Now, the 240 Bravo. That's a weapon. I specifically remember the taste of copper in my mouth after days at the range with it. Not sure why that was.

The M2 was pretty cool but I didn't get to shoot it much.

But my favorite was probably the MK19. I like the sound of it firing, it's rate of fire and the noise it makes down range.
Old July 1, 2015, 11:09 PM   #55
9x19

From a fellow vet. Given the time of year, just wanted to say thanks to all of the other vets on here.

My family and I truly enjoy our freedoms and we know who keeps those secure.

Happy 4th to all... shoot a few rounds for me... my semi's will do the same.
Old July 4, 2015, 11:51 AM   #56
SC4006

Quote:
I carried the SAW in the when I was in the Army. I carried it on 20 and 30 mile road marches. I got a 2 points warning on here for evading the language filters a few weeks ago so I'll just say that I don't care for that particular weapon and leave it at that.
I feel your pain with the road marches. I am also not fond of the M249 at all. I have never been assigned a saw, but I still see what happens to them. Some of the worst malfunctions I've ever seen to any weapon ever were from the saw.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old July 6, 2015, 11:33 AM   #57
rickyrick

I remember the m60 jamming alot...

I don't remember why, they were cleared easily.
I won a brigade M60 competition and was awarded an arcom for it.
But, as the years pass I don't even remember how to field strip it. Funny thing the mind is.
Same thing with the M2... Except was awarded AAM for proficiency with it. Small awards, yes, but those were the most fun getting.
Old July 8, 2015, 07:05 AM   #58
Brit

One thing I remember about the Bren .303 LMG, no recoil, it wanted to walk forward!

Never had a stoppage, all you had to do, watch how you loaded the magazine (my time! rimmed cartridges) The 7.62X51 no trouble.

One of my Uncles was in WW11, he loved his big heavy Bren. He said pill boxes in France, short bursts through the weapon slots! Caused them to go silent. He came back minus his right arm. The artificial one carried some steam, according to my Cousins.
Old July 8, 2015, 07:28 AM   #59
DanTSX

I like the Uzi for an SMG. It's just an iconic and solid gun despite it's dated ergos, etc. Not the smoothest shooter, but not exactly rowdy either. Reliable too!

Not enough experience with belt Feds to judge a "favorite" LMG or heavy, but I really like the craftsmanship and steampunk looks of a lot of the WWI and interwar era LMG's that came out of Japan, France , Italy and the likes.

Last edited by DanTSX; July 8, 2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old July 8, 2015, 11:11 AM   #60
44 AMP
Staff

If you think the ergos on an Uzi are dated, go handle a Tommygun!

My favorite for sheer "wonkiness" is the Japanese version of the Hotchkiss.

Without looking them up, I can't keep the "type /model #" straight, but if there was ever a poster child for "why??????" that's got to be it.

Metal (brass I think) feed strips, 30rnds in a row, and IIRC, the gun put the empties back into the feed strip after firing.

Japanese LMG development was...chaotic is one of the nicer terms. Dunderheaded comes to mind, though...

Guns (and cartridges) were developed by the Army, the Navy, and for aircraft use, with little or no commonality or interservice sharing of ideas or tech.

Semi rimmed and rimless cases, oiled ammo, hopper feed using the 5rnd stripper clips from the Arisaka rifle, and other ideas that looked good to the designers but didn't do so well in the field.

And something I've only seen on a Japanese LMG, a bayonet! A cultural thing, I believe...
Old July 9, 2015, 02:18 AM   #61
Richard SIA

I've probably shot more models of MG and SMG than most here, helps to be an SOT.

SMG = STEN 9mm Mk. II
MG = AK-47 with drum
Light belt fed - RPD
Belt fed = Vickers

Not a big fan of crazy fast cyclic rates so will never own an M11-380 or micro UZI.
Gun I have seen blow up most often, M-16!
Old July 10, 2015, 03:39 PM   #62
DanTSX

Richard what is the cause of the M-16 catastrophic failures?

Rounds cooking off? Premature detonation from timing or bolt hitting primer? Bad ammo?
Old July 10, 2015, 05:36 PM   #63
Arizona Fusilier

In my day, I have seen two catastrophic failures in the M16 platform, both attributed to squib rounds.

If you shoot enough rounds.....the odds will catch up with you eventually.
Old August 5, 2015, 11:12 PM   #64
PA32Mark

For an MG: M16..... Fun and easy to shoot, and the ammo won't break the bank. (If someone else was paying for the ammo, then, like others, probably the M2 .50) For an SMG, probably a Thompson .45, for nostalgia and fun. For serious work, if limited to a pistol caliber weapon (SMG) I'd pick a suppressed 9mm MP5SD.
Old August 6, 2015, 09:13 AM   #65
SPEMack618

I got to shoot a legit full auto FN-FAL at the Benning School for Boys.

That was neat.

As far as belt feds go, sticking with the FN theme, the -240B has to be my favorite.
Old August 6, 2015, 11:29 AM   #66
PA32Mark

Here's an MG that I forgot to mention earlier, don't think anyone else has mentioned it in this thread. A few years ago, at a police range, I had the chance to shoot an original Armalite AR18. Very nice shooting gun, and for those lucky enough to live in an NFA ok state - and with the bucks to buy one - I think it'd be a great gun to have. I believe it is a C&R gun now also; only down side might be parts getting a bit hard to find(?)
Old August 6, 2015, 12:01 PM   #67
stephen426

Only full autos I have had the opportunity to shoot were the HK MP5 and a Tommy Gun. The MP5 is an amazing piece of machinery while the Tommy Gun has a lot of history. I have 2 AR-15s, but have not had the opportunity to shoot an M-16 full auto. Full auto is fun as long as someone else is footing the ammo bill!

If I could have any machine gun, it would be the Dillon Mini Gun! That would really help with the crazy Miami traffic! LOL
Old August 8, 2015, 02:12 AM   #68
johnwilliamson062

For true machine guns:
Assuming I don't have to buy the ammo:
If I'm not going to need to move it the M2.
If I am going to need to move it the 249.

I guess they don't make a true MG in 22lr so I don't like any of them if I buy the ammo.

For any full auto:
M16. Able to shoot 22lr, 9mm, 223 easily and many other cartridges with just a little more work/expense.

The Mexican police/security have a SMG called the Mendoza HM-3. Extremely simple, appearing almost like an updated sten. They even have one that fires from a closed bolt. Looked quite light and handy. I was impesssed with those I saw. Never handled one and they can't be exported/imported. Convert the closed bolt to semi, glock magwell and I think you'd have a winner.