The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 15, 2005, 03:32 PM   #1
LiveWire

Best IPSC holster, pouch and belt rig

I your opinion (humble or not) : which is the best competition system for IPSC Open and Limited division? Safariland? CR-Speed? Bianchi? Arredondo? Other?
Old February 18, 2005, 12:33 AM   #2
eerw

Many folks like the CR Speed stuff..holster pouches and belt..

I got kind of collection of different pieces that I found work best for me..

for my open and limited rig..it is a CR Speed belt, Safariland 771 pouches and a Ultimate Ghost holster..I find the holster is secure and very fast..comfortable to wear. The pouches hold my mags secure, they don't move on my belt and adjust a lot of different ways..the belt..is very stiff and holds the gear very well..

my production rig is a CR speed belt, Cr Speed pouches and a comptac holster..
Old February 18, 2005, 12:34 AM   #3
Lycanthrope

Limcat.
Old February 18, 2005, 04:47 AM   #4
xmastree

I use a Hogue powerspeed holster, and CRspeed mag pouches for my open division super .38
I looked ar CRspeed for the holster, but since my gun has a much longer barrel, the hogue fitted better.

This holster also allowe the gun to be drawn forwards, rather than having to first pull it upwards. You need to be careful not to let the gun point at the ground behing your feet though...

The other thing is, the lock is pulled up to engage it, and you need to practice not catching it when you draw, and inadvertantly locking it.
Old February 18, 2005, 08:15 PM   #5
ryucasta

I am currently using the Ultimate Ghost Holster for Glock and STI CR Speed Belt and CR Speed Magazine Pouches for Limited and Open competition. I have used Limcat, Safariland just to name a few and I have found my current equipment choice to be the best in the market today.

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old June 5, 2005, 09:36 AM   #6
jonhluk

Problems with CR-Speed Holster

I was wondering if any other contributers out there had problems with the CR-Speed holster when using a USP ? I was unlucky enough to have my first accidental discharge in 25 years of shooting, a couple of weeks ago. We were doing drills under the supervision of a IPSC coach at my local range, which consisted of gun in holster, condition 1, drawing and firing two rounds before reholstering.
I kinda went out of phase and didn't set the safety and as I holstered the pistol it went off. Trust me, it puts life into perspective when a gun goes off like that. I burned my leg with the muzzle flash and missed my foot by scant inches. I went for a cup of tea and had a check of all my possessions to make sure the tally was correct.. before continuing the course.
Anyhow, the problem exists that the USP has an exposed trigger bar which is wider than the trigger guard.. and the CR-Speed holster has two fingers that lock around the guard to cover the trigger... By trying it at home later on it was possible to trip and fire the action on about 70% of reholsterings.. which is kinda scary because if you don't positively remember to set the safety, or it fails then you are likely to have a little accident. This problem seems unique to the USP as most all other semi auto's have their actuating hardware inside the frame rather than externally.
Typically the instructor told me later he had seen another incident similar to mine... wish he had mentioned before we started the day...

Any thoughts ??

Jon Hill
Small Rock in Irish sea
Old June 5, 2005, 08:41 PM   #7
bulm5

I have been using the CR speed for the last 6 years in my 1911 with no problems at all. As you said, you did not set the safety priro to puttign the pistol back into the holster. Don't think it is the holster's fault in my opinion.