The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 13, 2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

CZ455 Bedding Worth it or Not?

Shooting 22LR is one of my all time favorite things to do. Over the years I have a number of 22’s that end up joining me on just about every range visit. My family enjoy’s the 22LR just as much as I do, every year during the summer we will have a family friendly competition on who is the best 22LR marksman/woman in the family.

A few years back I acquired a CZ455 Varmint and it quickly climbed the ladder and is in the top 3 of my 22LR favorites.

Wanting to squeeze the most accuracy out of the rifle as I could after 400 rounds I started looking into bedding the rifle. It's not that the rifle wasn't accurate I was just looking for more, pushing the envelope. One of the things that kept it from becoming my favorite is that it was not threaded. This is an easy fix there are a few barrel manufacturers out there that produced threaded barrels and more than likely these after market barrels would improve upon the accuracy, not to mention a barrel swap on a CZ455 is very easy to do. The ability to kill two birds with one stone push the envelope of accuracy and a threaded barrel was very attractive but this is not the most cost effective. One of the barrel manufactures charge more just for the threaded barrel than I paid for the rifle. A more cost effective alternative is to just order a threaded barrel directly from CZ. But I did not chose this route either, when I started to tally up the cost of acraglas, having a local smith thread, recrown the barrel and trigger spring swap that totaled only $35 dollars more than a factory threaded barrel by itself I decided to go that route. The driving factor for me was the recrowning of the factory barrel. When discussing this alternative method with a friend of mine he essentially said look get a quality barrel that's what makes it shoot, I believe his words were if you want accuracy you can't be cheap. There was a lot of debate about bedding a 22 as well his thought was no bedding is needed with a quality barrel with a 22LR, he thought it was a waist of time. Being stubborn I decided to do the exact opposite and started this journey of bedding the CZ455 and having the barrel work and trigger done.

Here is the CZ455 in it's original state and 50 yard group with RWS Subsonic HP Ammo. I do understand that higher quality ammo would most likely turn in better results. I also know that receiver torque settings can make a difference, this rifle is setup with 20in pounds in the front and 24in pounds in the rear. CZ's recommendation for wood stocks is 25in pounds. I used these exact settings after the bedding as well. The trigger went from 4pounds down to 1.5.

1.673MOA

I would like to caution every newbie out there to bedding much like myself to not start out bedding a CZ455. The stock is missing wood in the front and rear of the pillars which makes it a bit more challenging to deal with, also use plenty of agent release.

Group with suppressor.
1.093MOA

Group without the suppressor.
0.707MOA

With so many additional things done at one time other than just the bedding it makes it difficult to answer the question is bedding a 22LR worth it, but it is definitely easier on my wallet getting it all done at once and makes this rifle my own. I am completely happy with the results of how this came out and the rifle have just went from #3 to #2 on my favorite 22LR list dethrowning my CZ 452 from the #2 slot. Though I am now thinking about doing the same work to the CZ452 after a save up some cash.

What do you think worth it or not?
Old May 13, 2018, 07:09 PM   #2
10-96

Thank you for posting that. Bedding a CZ RF has been a curiosity of mine for a long time.

Thanks again!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Picher

Bedding my 455 was one of the more difficult rimfire bedding jobs,especially with the pillars I made for it. Front pillar had to be gouged out to avoid the magazine bracket.

Once completed, the .22 WMR's groups went from 1 3/4" to under 1" at 100 yards. Not bad for varmint ammo.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:55 AM   #4
Don Fischer

That's a nice looking rifle! I don't know that bedding will make much difference on a 22 RF. But then I don't shoot a lot of 22 RF either. I shoot a RF it's a 22 mag. My 22 mag is a tube feed and I've though about it but it's a tube feed and I can see myself gluing the stock to the rifle. One of these day's I'm going to find an inexpensive one to fool with. I do have a 22 RF, doesn't everyone? But it's just mostly for putting down sick or injured chickens around here! It's a mod 62A pump.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:35 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...higher quality ammo would most likely..." Maybe. Maybe not. You need to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your CZ shoots best. The price of said ammo means nothing.
Bedding it may help, but not as much as torqueing the stock screws. A 100% trial and error thing. There is no magical formula to determine how much.
A 1.5 pound trigger is ok for a target range only rifle, but is far too light for any hunting application.
Old May 21, 2018, 06:10 PM   #6
Mr.RevolverGuy

Quote:
Bedding my 455 was one of the more difficult rimfire bedding jobs,especially with the pillars I made for it. Front pillar had to be gouged out to avoid the magazine bracket.

Once completed, the .22 WMR's groups went from 1 3/4" to under 1" at 100 yards. Not bad for varmint ammo.
There is a maker of pillars for the cz455 for this very reason. It is a really nice set.
Old May 21, 2018, 06:13 PM   #7
Mr.RevolverGuy

As far as ammo is concerned

Though this is top of the line ammo before bedding it shot the wrost like 2inch groups at 50 yards, after the bedding wow what a difference.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:45 AM   #8
Picher

Ammo brand/type that your particular rifle likes is critical to accuracy in the .22 WMR rifles. Mine likes Remington plastic-tipped 33 grain, Accu-Tip and CCI V-Max 30 grain; also plastic tipped.

Changing ammo brand/type changes point of impact considerably at 100 yards.