The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 10, 2018, 10:23 PM   #1
5whiskey

Tell me about the Ruger (non-super) RedHawk...

So I have seen a couple of places on line that suggest this gun is Revolver Nirvana. Ruger durability meets S&W out of the box trigger. While my next revolver purchase may be a while off, I think this will be it. I would like a 4" barrel, but can live with 5" or maybe 6"... nothing less than 4" or more than 6". I love the traditional looks with the half-lug and square butt. What I see most of, though, is almost all models are stainless. Ruger's website indicates one model comes with a blued finish, and it is only in .44 mag with a 6" barrel. It's pretty, but I prefer a shorter barrel and more caliber choices.

Speaking of caliber choices, apparently Ruger currently doesn't offer a Redhawk in .45 colt. What gives? I know I'm mostly just griping at this point, but seriously? I know the RH can handle Ruger only loads in 45 colt, and I prefer to shoot .453 bullets.

So, specific questions, plus a request.
-Did Ruger ever make a blued Redhawk in 45 colt?
-Do you ever find them used? Armslist and Gunbroker aren't showing me much.
-Lastly, for you Redhawk aficionados, is the pistol what it's hyped to be?

Also, feel free to wallow in self-loathing at the general lack of blued firearm with me if you wish. I'm sure I'll bring this up as a complaint numerous times in this thread.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 10, 2018, 10:48 PM   #2
Dan-O

The trigger isn’t that great. The grip options don’t work for me. Mine sits in the back of the safe.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:57 PM   #3
Water-Man

I had the 6" model in 44mag several years ago. Used it for hunting and carried it in a chest holster.

Very reliable, accurate and a mediocre trigger. I was never sorry I made the purchase.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:03 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

The actions of the Red & Super Red are different, and generally you can only go so far with a trigger job on the Red.
The Red's trigger is nothing special.
Nor is it horrible.
Denis
Old May 10, 2018, 11:23 PM   #5
TruthTellers

Denis sums it up well, as usual.

I like the DA on mine as I know exactly where to stop pulling just before break and get the sights spot on. The SA is mediocre, but I'm not sure if that's on the trigger or the way the grip is on the Redhawk I have.

Whatever the case, it's the only DA/SA .45 Colt revolver out there that can handle the Ruger only loads and it can also shoot .45 ACP, albeit not terribly accurately.

Do I regret buying it? No. Will I buy another Redhawk? Probably not. Unless Ruger makes a 10 shot .327 then the answer is definitely not.
Old May 11, 2018, 05:40 AM   #6
CajunBass

I've looked at them a time or two. I think most Ruger revolvers are as ugly as a mud fence, but at least the Redhawk (standard) is attractive. There was a 4/5", I forget which, blue gun (do they still make that one?) that was really hard to walk away from.

But I always buy Smith & Wesson N-frames.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 11, 2018, 05:42 AM   #7
mk70ss

Redhawk does come in a .45 Colt. I have the 4 inch .45 Colt/.45 ACP version.
Old May 11, 2018, 09:12 AM   #8
The Kingfish

I love my 44 magnum backpacker, very accurate and fun gun to take to the range. The single action trigger is a bit heavy at 6.5 lbs but you don't notice too much because of the weight of the gun. The double action is just phenomenal, buttery smooth and breaks just under 10 lbs. Very fun to use blasting 44 specials rapid fire.

I'm currently looking for a 7.5" model. Not sure if that will be another Redhawk or a single action Super Blackhawk.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:47 AM   #9
Real Gun

I have had RHs in 4 & 5 barrels,both 45Colt. Still have the 5 1\2". The trigger will never be great, but I am used to it and shoot it okay. I use it only for loads above SAAMI spec. I had pressure issues until opening the throats. The real drawback with the gun is the long trigger reach, corrected in the Super RH.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:55 PM   #10
Bayou

My only Redhawk is a 1984 vintage .357 with a 7.5" tube. This thing is a marvel - the large cylinder closes with the sound of a bank vault - crisp and sharp. The lock-up is remarkably tight.

The only things I've done to it have been to put a FO front sight on the end of the tube, and change out the much too small (for me) Ruger grips with Pachmayr Presentation grips.

Just a pleasure to handle and shoot. 12" plates are fodder for this thing at 100 yards - freehand with open sights.

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old May 11, 2018, 06:37 PM   #11
Sevens

What is still difficult for my pea brain to figure out even after a handful of years with my 1985 made 7.5" .44 Redhawk...

The double action stroke isn't light but very smooth, shootable, predictable and enjoyable but the single action trigger is... well, it's crap. If I had a S&W K, L, N or X-frame with a single action trigger break like my Redhawk, I would consider it "BROKEN."
Old May 11, 2018, 07:14 PM   #12
BBarn

For many years Redhawks were offered with 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" barrels only. Mostly stainless, but some blued. Always in 44 Mag, but also some in 357, 41 Mag, and 45 Colt. I believe there were a few made in blue 45 Colt.

More recently there have been some with shorter barrels, as well as 8 shot 357s and the 45 Colt/45Auto.

The Redhawk is Ruger's first 44 Mag DA revolver, their first with a front crane latch, and uses a single spring for the hammer and trigger return.
Old May 12, 2018, 07:17 AM   #13
muzzleblast...

I am not sure about the Redhawk being "revolver nirvana". I have a 5.5." Redhawk, several S&W 29/629s and a Colt Anaconda. Where the Redhawk shines for me is in the field, when packing maximum handloads with ~300-ish grain hard cast bullets.
Old May 12, 2018, 08:55 AM   #14
pete2

I have owned 2 Redhawks and a Super Blackhawk. The SB out shot both RHs. If I ever buy another 44 Mag it'll be a 29 or 629.
Old May 12, 2018, 01:14 PM   #15
Sequins

I have the 7.5" 44 magnum Redhawk and I love it. I think the trigger is very unique in it's characteristics and it doesn't feel like any of my other revolvers- It's very very smooth, IMO not that heavy but I haven't weighed it, and then it has this interesting ledge right before the break where once you've finished powering the cylinder revolution the weight of the trigger feels noticeably different for the final bit of travel and I really like it, helps clean up my break.
Old May 12, 2018, 07:47 PM   #16
AL45

I have a stainless 7.5 inch Redhawk in .45 Colt that I really like. I can load it mild or wild just like I did my Ruger Blackhawk. The trigger is average, but as it is with any gun, it's a matter of getting used to it.
Old May 12, 2018, 08:47 PM   #17
smee78

+1 "I have a stainless 7.5 inch Redhawk in .45 Colt that I really like. I can load it mild or wild just like I did my Ruger Blackhawk. The trigger is average, but as it is with any gun, it's a matter of getting used to it. "

I don't think I could of said it any better than AL45.
Old May 13, 2018, 08:19 AM   #18
Wishoot

I have a 5.5" RH in 44mag. I agree that the trigger could use a little smoothing, but it's not all that bad.

It's great fun to shoot.
Old May 13, 2018, 09:20 AM   #19
black mamba

I've had both an early 5½" 44 mag and a recent 4" 45 Colt. Both of them were only moderately accurate and both had horrendous trigger pulls. I can't imagine anyone who has ever fired an N frame S&W being satisfied with a Redhawk, unless the action and trigger have been customized. And to that point, the Super Redhawk is noted for having a better trigger than the Redhawk (but still not in the S&W realm).
Old May 13, 2018, 01:16 PM   #20
5whiskey

Ok this is the feedback I was looking for. Had a co-worker that tells me his RH is one of the best revolvers he's ever touched with an awesome trigger. I happen to like Ruger revolvers for durability,but have never felt that any of the double actions had a great trigger.

What you guys are telling me is... It's pretty much a typical Ruger DA revolver. Has it's plusses but it's not the greatest ever.

Old May 13, 2018, 06:07 PM   #21
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5whiskey View Post
Ok this is the feedback I was looking for. Had a co-worker that tells me his RH is one of the best revolvers he's ever touched with an awesome trigger. I happen to like Ruger revolvers for durability,but have never felt that any of the double actions had a great trigger.

What you guys are telling me is... It's pretty much a typical Ruger DA revolver. Has it's plusses but it's not the greatest ever.
It's an average trigger. There are worse triggers on revolvers, but also better triggers. The nice thing about Ruger's is that you're left plenty of room to slick up the action and put in lighter springs.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:20 PM   #22
saleen322

We have both a Redhawk and Super Redhawk. As DPris advised, the triggers on the two are different. The SRH setup mechanically lends itself to be a better trigger out of the box. Our RH is older and since it was shot more and smoothed out by use, I can't see a big difference between the two as far as trigger. That said, I still think the SRH could be smoothed up easier all things being equal. YMMV
Old May 14, 2018, 07:39 AM   #23
Real Gun

The discussion is a little different talking 44 Mag versus 45 Colt. The RH is way overkill for 45 Colt unless firing loads that are well over SAAMI spec and in the realm of "Ruger only". S&W doesn't make a gun like that for anything above 23k 45 ACP level, and supposedly they don't have a 44 Mag that will take a steady diet of full power either.
Old May 14, 2018, 09:23 AM   #24
5whiskey

Quote:
The RH is way overkill for 45 Colt unless firing loads that are well over SAAMI spec and in the realm of "Ruger only".
That is why I like Ruger revolvers. Though honestly I don't shoot .45 colt much over standard pressure often. I load it a little warm, but nothing crazy. I do have a load I use to hunt that is pretty stout.

Honestly I should just go with 44 mag I suppose. Can load it up or down just like 45 colt, never have to worry about someone accidentally obtaining my loads and shooting them in a revolver that can't withstand the pressure, and brass is as easy to find. I just think there are slightly better heavy bullet options in the .454 diameter... hence my love of 45 Colt

Old May 14, 2018, 11:20 AM   #25
Real Gun

If big and heavy is what you like, perhaps you should be shooting heavier 45 Colt from a 454 Casull. My 5 1/2" Redhawk 45 Colt was trying to blow up at .452. I had the throats and forcing cone done, and everything seems reasonable now and ready for more. Tight throats create high pressure. I had some .454, 250 gr bullets left from a 45 convertible Blackhawk with huge throats and tight bore (sold it) and resized them to .452.