The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 2, 2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Tallest

Never done this before and starting from scratch

Good morning folks,

So over the past year I've decided that of all the guns out there, I love SA bolt guns the best, particularly with Mauser type actions.

What I would like to do is build a .260 rem on a heavy sporter platform with a Mauser type bolt setup. Envision a Win Model 70 or Ruger M77 in 260 Rem with a varmint weight barrel.

I guess what I've hoping to learn is what's the best way to go about. Would I be best suited to buy one of the above models in a .308, .243 or 7mm-08 and just have it re-barreled?

Anyone who has an opinion or has done it, feel free to weigh in!

Thanks!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 2, 2018, 11:37 AM   #2
RC20

Whats an SA bolt action?
Old May 2, 2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Tallest

short action

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 2, 2018, 01:30 PM   #4
tango1niner

If I might ask, what is the intended purpose of said rifle and why the .260 Rem?

You've mentioned some great calibers in your initial post.
Old May 2, 2018, 02:36 PM   #5
Scorch

You can buy almost exactly the rifle you are looking for. Winchester offers the Model 70 in a short action.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...r-compact.html
Not a 260, it's in 6.5 Creedmore, but they are almost the same. Or you could get a Kimber 84M, they are very light, very nice little CRF bolt action rifles.
https://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles...ion_family=197
Old May 2, 2018, 02:43 PM   #6
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango1niner View Post
If I might ask, what is the intended purpose of said rifle and why the .260 Rem?

You've mentioned some great calibers in your initial post.
It will be a hunting rifle, primarily. But I'd like it to hold up well thermally for testing hand loads and target practice for hunting. That, and I just like having bigger guns. I'm 6'8", and I don't mind the extra heft and length as much as some might. And I would rather have a little extra weight to reduce recoil than have something light as a feather.

I have thought for a while it would be fun to collect all the chamberings of the .308 parent case. I have the 308, 243, and 7mm-08 already, so for my uses, the .260 is the next up. Plus, I recently started reloading so ammo availability is no longer a problem.

Old May 2, 2018, 03:21 PM   #7
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
You can buy almost exactly the rifle you are looking for. Winchester offers the Model 70 in a short action.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...r-compact.html
Not a 260, it's in 6.5 Creedmore, but they are almost the same. Or you could get a Kimber 84M, they are very light, very nice little CRF bolt action rifles.
https://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles...ion_family=197
The Kimber is intriguing! I have a friend who has a Subalpine in 7mm-08 and it is one of the nicest rifle's I've handled recently. The Winchester is attractive as well, however I won't be doing Creedmoor. I'm not anti 6.5CM, but it doesn't fit the theme I'm going for. I really like the M70, but if I do that, I'll get a .308 and have it re-barreled.

Old May 2, 2018, 05:05 PM   #8
std7mag

Maybe a Spanish Mauser....
If i wanted to do my own Mauser again i'd get one of the Dumoulin actions from e-sarce.

I used an Interarms Whitworth action, E.R. Shaw 1.5 contour 24" barrel in 284 Win. With a Bell & Carlson stock. EGW 20MOA solid base, and topped with a Sightron STAC 4-20X50 MOA scope in Vortex Viper low rings. And it weighs a whopping 10 lbs. !!!

Don't forget the 25 Souper!!
Old May 2, 2018, 05:06 PM   #9
mapsjanhere

The 260 Rem is longer than the 6.5 Creedmoor, might be possible to just run a reamer through the Winchester 70.
Old May 2, 2018, 08:48 PM   #10
Scorch

Quote:
The 260 Rem is longer than the 6.5 Creedmoor, might be possible to just run a reamer through the Winchester 70
I don't think it will work, the Creedmore has less taper so it is larger at every point forward of the case head. Additionally, the shoulder is farther back than the 260, so it will not clean up. But if the OP opts for the Kimber, he can probably have one built in 260 if he orders from the custom shop.
Old May 2, 2018, 09:37 PM   #11
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
I don't think it will work, the Creedmore has less taper so it is larger at every point forward of the case head. Additionally, the shoulder is farther back than the 260, so it will not clean up. But if the OP opts for the Kimber, he can probably have one built in 260 if he orders from the custom shop.

Ah... Kimber custom shop... sounds like money! But it also sounds very feasible, and such is the trade off for having one’s druthers.

Thanks!
Old May 2, 2018, 10:11 PM   #12
taylorce1

Order a 1999 Montana Rifle Company short action and build from there. Should be a pretty easy build, and the MRC action has the right sized magazine box for the .260 Rem.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:40 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Suggest you go to the library and read Stuart Otteson's The Bolt Action Rifle. It'll give you the breakdown on the various actions with their strengths and weaknesses.
Old May 3, 2018, 03:39 PM   #14
HiBC

I have not kept up with all the make/model variants.
IMO,one fork in the road is whether you think a production barrel will suit your needs,or will a custom barrel be more likely to work.

If you are paying a gunsmith to thread and chamber a custom barrel,figure you will have $250 approx. $400 just in the barrel. The gunsmith's time will cost a fair price.

Generally,to get the full potential out of the barrel,some degree of receiver blueprinting /squaring is suggested.

But maybe not with all receivers.Just most of them. If a receiver is made from 17-4 PH steel,its not likely to warp in heat treat. (Heat treat temps are low and its air quench)
Its sort of like "Speed cost money,how fast do you want to go?"

That Montana action is a variant of the Win pre-64 M-70. I'd think it a good choice,though I have no experience.They make barrels,too,and will sell you a barreled action. I don't know the current situation,but over the history of the Montana Rifle Company there have been some rough spots for production times and deliver. I hope that's all water under the bridge.

Brownells may still sell CZ actions,not sure.They are a Mauser variant.

Relatively speaking,the (Brownells ) Howa actions/barreled actions might be interesting.

I don't know if its still available,but FN Herstall was making a heavy barreled police/patrol/mil version of the Win M-70.

Or,you might find any number of $400 + SA hunting rifles for a donor action.

While a lot of very fine rifles have been built on military Mausers...that probably not the wisest foundation to start with these days.The work they require is expensive.

There are some factory/semi custom rifles available.I don't know the cost,but Nosler makes some,for example.

Good luck!
Old May 4, 2018, 12:45 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...I would like to do is build..." Is the building it the important part? As in "Thanks Ma, but I wanna do it myself."? Different thing from just wanting a heavy barrel .260.
Issue is what kind of skills and tools do you have. And more importantly, how much money do you want to spend?
"...Brownell's may still sell CZ actions..." Long and magnum actions only. Pity too. That was a good idea. Even though they're worth the same as a BNIB rifle. They are showing some Rem M700 short receivers at not stupid prices. Out of stock, of course.
The .260 Rem is just a 6.5mm .308. Means that any .308 family receiver/bolt will do nicely. I'd be looking for a used M70 or M700, et al at gun shows, pawn shops and gun stores just for the action. Barrels and any scopes become trading/selling goods to offset your costs.