The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 25, 2011, 07:12 PM   #26
Smaug

Ruger

The S&W you're considering has fixed sights? Forget that stuff. That's for carry guns, and you've already got a carry gun.

Get the Ruger and you'll have a fantastic range guns that can handle magnums when you occasionally feel like shooting them.

A S&W rated in 38+P with adjustable sights would be a much better comparison.

S&W tend to have the better DA triggers, out of the box. Would you most be shooting it DA or SA?

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old March 26, 2011, 12:25 AM   #27
Genepix

In keeping with the S&W heritage, my model 65 has been one of my favorite shooters- Mine is 3 " with Crimson Trace grips and is(for me) the perfect home defense firearm...
Old May 10, 2018, 12:54 AM   #28
Bmp4510

Quote:
Originally Posted by osallent View Post
I have a confession to make....a few years ago I had several revolvers, and I sold them all so I could buy semi-auto plastic bricks to be like everyone else. However, I kept one, a S&W 642 Talo Delux model. The fact is that no matter how many plastic bricks I bought, I always felt empty and would go back to my S&W for concealed carry. Yes, the plastic bricks can carry 16+ rounds of 9MM, but they never felt as good as carrying my little snubby.

I managed to borrow a S&W 686 from one of my closest friends in order to fill the void, but after 2 years I feel guilty that I still have his revolver. I know he is a great guy and won't ask me to give him the revolver (like I said, he is a great friend) but I feel guilty about this arrangement, so it's time to buy one of my own and return the revolver to it's rightful owner.

I've sold my "tactical" wonder bricks off, and I am considering buying either a S&W Model 64 (.38+P) or a Ruger GP100 (.357 magnum) with a 4 inch barrel in order to compliment my snubby as my CCW weapon. I know a lot of you guys don't like modern S&W because of the "Hillary (censored)" but my snubby has one and it has never bothered me. So other than the lock which is not an issue for me, which one would you think would be better for my purpose? Do you have any preference between these two revolvers?

PS: Am not looking to replace my 642, I love that little gun...but it would be nice to have a companion for it....one that isn't on loan from a friend.

I remember when Ruger came out with the GP100. S&W had the 686 out, and there was a media war between Ruger and S&W on who had the toughest .357. I bought an early model SS 6” GP100 and still have it today.

One shot Ruger took at S&W was that various parts of the frame and barrel were thicker than the 686, therefore stronger. S&W responded with their frames were forged frames, not the “Lost Sand” investment casting Ruger used. One S&W ad had a cut away of both frames, under a microscope. The S&W frame was less porous than the Ruger frame. Both guns, in 6” full lug models essentially weighted the same. S&W contention was that they were stronger with the less porous forged frames.

On my early GP100, I shot often with 2-3 buddies and their 686’s. Their guns always shot tighter groups than my GP did, in my hands or my friends. Their triggers were considerably better as well.

I sent the GP back to Ruger several times. They would recut the forcing cone, check the timing, re crown the barrel. They would send it back with a note, saying the gun was in spec, but they did a few things to it. I was upfront with Ruger, saying that I couldn’t keep up with my buddies 686’s, and they never did charge me..

I bought a 4” S&W 686 a couple of years ago. Great gun. It will still slightly outshoot the Ruger, but the old GP I will keep forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old May 10, 2018, 08:36 AM   #29
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
I was upfront with Ruger, saying that I couldn’t keep up with my buddies 686’s, and they never did charge me..
They kept working on your gun because you couldn't shoot as good as your buddies?
That's extreme!