The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 20, 2018, 08:50 PM   #1
lokidansk

M&P Body guard 380 Holster

I have two M&P Bodyguard 380s, one w/ Crimson Trace Laser and one without.
My question is, I want a nice leather holster for them, will the without laser work OK in a holster made for a M&P w/laser. IE will it be extremely loose?
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body......... but rather to skid in sideways with a cigar in one hand & a Scotch in the other......... body thoroughly used up & totally worn out.........screaming 'woo hoo -- what a ride !!'
Old May 21, 2018, 03:21 AM   #2
Cosmodragoon

As much as I hate the trigger and had issues with reliability, the Bodyguard carries like a dream. Before giving up on my own, I carried the original laser model very comfortably in a leather IWB holster by DeSantis. Looking at their website today, it looks like it might have been a "Cozy Partner". I'm not sure about the non-laser version.
Old May 21, 2018, 08:35 PM   #3
lokidansk

Thanks for the response, I love my M&P 380s. I don't mind the trigger at all "it is long but I shoot them enough now its OK. I just hate to buy two holsters if one will work.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body......... but rather to skid in sideways with a cigar in one hand & a Scotch in the other......... body thoroughly used up & totally worn out.........screaming 'woo hoo -- what a ride !!'
Old May 22, 2018, 02:25 AM   #4
Cosmodragoon

Like I said, the Bodyguard carries like a dream. It can work very well for some people. It's just that the uncontroversially bad and long trigger pull also breaks pretty far back. If you have big hands and long fingers, that can cause problems. I thought I had conquered it after a few hundred rounds of training but in a stress situation with wildlife, I automatically defaulted to how I shoot every other gun I own. I got a "squish" that stopped just before the break as I ran out of leverage. Luckily, the situation ended without injury. Relying on luck is a scary thing. So I sold the gun.

As far as holsters go, I don't know how much difference there is between the two models. A good holster has secure contact over key areas of a firearm. It's possible that the difference would simply disappear and the holster would still maintain positive contact for retention. The problem is that you probably won't know until you try it. That's why a lot of us (and maybe you) have a "holster box" in the back of a closet. You might get lucky and find someone who does exactly what you do and already has a holster that fits both. Otherwise, you might be the one to blaze the trail (and tell us how it goes).

As far as the Cozy Partner goes, it was comfortable and convenient. However, it was not "tuckable". That was alright for me as my job at the time was almost exclusively field work and I could wear casual attire. A polo shirt was plenty for concealment with that setup.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:27 PM   #5
lokidansk

LOL "Holster box" I've got a two drawer file cabnet full of Kydex and leather. Thanks Cosmo
Old May 22, 2018, 01:12 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Suspect you'll need 2. The muzzle end of the Laser pistol is quite a bit bigger top to bottom than the one without. The weight is a tiny bit more with the laser too. A whole .3 of an ounce.
These guys have the laser holster on sale for $20. Isn't leather though. That'll be $40 on Amazon.
https://www.crimsontrace.com/product...nufacturer=167
https://www.amazon.com/BODYGUARD-CRI.../dp/B072HX887M
Lots of like priced($40ish) leather holster for the plain pistol. So it's not horribly expensive buying both.
Old May 24, 2018, 05:52 AM   #7
OhioGuy

I had a Remora Tuckable holster for the Bodyguard .380. It was very easy to tuck my shirt in around it, and the holster never moved a bit all day. The sticky material worked well.

I think that's because the gun is so small, it may weigh less than the holster! I've used a Remora on a much larger gun and it didn't stay in place so well.

I eventually sold my Bodyguard because, even after a lot of practice, I just couldn't shoot that heavy trigger well at all. If I ever go back to a .380 again, it will probably be to the LCP-2.

Although, the Sig P365 may be changing everyone's game. That thing is SMALL, shoots well, has 2x the capacity of pocket guns and is in a more powerful caliber. Yeah, costs 3x more too But who's counting?