The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 19, 2017, 02:58 PM   #51
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Because as you admit you more than likely won't get in a gun fight, and the likelihood of the distance being farther than a few feet, let alone a few yards is exponential much less.
Oh man. You missed the whole point of that.
Old April 19, 2017, 07:02 PM   #52
Arizona Fusilier

I live in the city, my EDC is a Sig P220. But if I go camping for 10 days, why can't my "EDC" be different?

My outdoors/rural carry has been my Beretta 92F, stoked with Fiochi 124gr truncated cone "combat" (which is no longer available). I have found this combo to be superbly accurate, and I selected this in anticipation of longer engagement ranges. That, and a healthy 15 round capacity, because you know there's going to be a few misses if you're shooting much beyond 15 yards. Let's be realistic; the Beretta is a large and bulky gun by current standards, and I carry mine in a Bianchi G.I.-style full flap holster. In my travels across rural Arizona, the Gila Monsters have yet to object to it's obtrusive presence.

Having said that, my longest ever handgun shot was about a hundred yards, at a four inch post, with my 6" S&W 57 in .41 Magnum. I often carry that hunting.

The talk about all the mass shootings etc. in this thread have given me a little pause. Maybe we should all back up that target a few yards, no matter what we carry as an EDC, and see where we stand.

The last time I shot at a target at 20 yards with a handgun, it was a humbling experience, I recall.
Old April 19, 2017, 07:05 PM   #53
ShootistPRS

Shooting up or down the bullet hits higher than it would when shooting level. At pistol ranges don't even think about it - you won't be far enough off to make any difference. Breathe, aim and squeeze, and your target will go down.
(assuming you can breathe, aim and squeeze in that moment)
Old April 19, 2017, 07:26 PM   #54
Tinbucket

Longer range carry gun

Opinion: A longer range carry gun in perhaps the AR10. The .308has more range and heavier bullet.
The AR15 too is good and everyone has one.
Just don't use the carbine stock.
It's design is too short and it is too loose for me for the most accurate shooting.
I have Cars on both of mine but still have the issue stock that' i"m putting back on the AR2 with 20 inch barrel.
The CAR is not long enough for me and I'm only 5'10." Nor is it tight and accuracy counts unless it is a select fire, and volume counts for suppression.
A good higher power laser, which I don't have, would be the ticket with lots of practice at longer ranges. However the laser is not much good, or the ones I've tried at over 50 yards at night.
The stock sites are very good with practice.
The first three shots I ever fired from an M16 in Ft Eustis, 1968, at 100 yards, were covered by a nickel. Sounds like brag shots but it is what it is.
Carrying a.22 rifle from the age of 6 in the mountains helped. We practiced, with spent .22 hulls, pennies and walnuts and acorns at what is probably 50 yards and shooting walnuts thrown into the air. It was woods for miles and no danger to anyone.
Old April 21, 2017, 12:09 PM   #55
hagar

The SIG 239 in 357 SIG is a good option. I have one, and like all my other 357 SIG pistols, making 100 yard shots is no big deal. That cartridge is amazingly accurate.
Old April 21, 2017, 01:00 PM   #56
zincwarrior

Your initial post mentioned the distance but also mentioned you were looking for something lighter than a 1911. Are you sure a light 6 lb carbine would not be preferred? We used to shoot magnums out to mansized targets (rocks) at 200 yards (across a valley to be accurate) but those hoglegs would have failed your weight criteria.

Now if you're talking 25-50 yards can find plastic pistols for that. All the usual suspects with 5in barrels could do such. You might consider a Bar-Sto or similar smith fitted barrel for that type of distance if money is less of a concern.
Old April 22, 2017, 08:39 AM   #57
walks with gun

Carbines are out, too much of a pain in the arse to try to pack around on my back when using a chainsaw, dragging trees or brush and rolling or un rolling barb wire. Picked up a 3"rossi 720 44spl. at a gun show a while back that seems to shoot real well and just the other day bought a S&W model 15 for $300 that is a real joy to shoot and for now will be the farm carry gun until it gets real humid, then I'll switch over to the stainless Rossi with the Pachmayr grips. If I worked in the mid-east I would probably opt for a carbine but in this country running around with a AR on my back so far is unnecessary.
Old April 30, 2017, 09:41 PM   #58
Danoobie

I find it's easier to carry full size for just this reason.
I'm much more likely to run into a pest control issue
on the property, than a hoodlum.

Last edited by Danoobie; May 2, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old May 26, 2017, 08:37 PM   #59
jrothWA

When I carried my ML during the regular Deer season, in 97..

I decided to pack a GM .45.
So I spent some week-ends prior at the range and using 185gr WW Silver-tpis, was able to keep seven rounds on a 25 yds replacement center @ 100 yds, off-hand using the base of the front.Only then did I feel comfortable using it for back-up.

did the same when I added my Ruger SS6 to the collection.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:01 AM   #60
walks with gun

jrothWA, have you tried the same test with other ammo, I haven't tried any Silvertips in years but found it shot very well in a few different guns. It's nice to know you could defend yourself at a distance.
Old May 30, 2017, 09:49 AM   #61
jackstrawIII

All you guys carrying 4" revolvers, what do you do for a living that allows you to carry something that size concealed?

It's all well and good to carry something that large if you can, but for those of us who have to dress a certain way for work and are often in heavily populated urban environments, I think the issue of "long range" shooting isn't actually much of an issue. I can hit a 5" plate at 25 yards with my carry gun, and I'm happy with that.

Like others have said, it's hard for me to imagine a "self defense" shooting at more than 25 yards or so when I'm out and about working. At that distance, I'm more likely to try to escape than engage.

Now, if I was at home, sure. At home I carry a larger gun (CZ) that I'm quite confident with if I had to use it at farther distances. But again, if I was at home, I'd probably grab a shotgun instead, should something really dicey pop up.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:05 AM   #62
ShootistPRS

I carried a 6" revolver. Before I was forced into retirement I was a heavy equipment mechanic, automotive mechanic, foreman, teacher and a minister. I also ran my own auto shop for a number of years.
The gun was carried in a custom pancake holster and a shoulder holster. At one job we were encouraged to carry. I even carried into the Hanford nuclear reservation and the gate guard knew it. I wasn't allowed to carry at the Bangor submarine base but the guard was polite about it.
Old May 30, 2017, 04:36 PM   #63
walks with gun

Ranch and farm work, when working construction it gets locked in the truck. I stay the heck away from Urban area's as much as possible. I have enough trouble just getting along with the five of me.