The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 8, 2016, 06:23 PM   #1
Prof Young

Took my turkey . . .

For several years now I've had to get my turkey permit for later in the spring as I had to wait for the semester to be over to hunt. Retired now. Got the first season this year but am not sure it was the best choice. Cold and windy down here in down state IL. But when you can hunt . . . you hunt.

Anyway hunted three days this week. Only heard them the first day. Long ways away. A dearth of turkeys.

Second day I hunted I rousted one walking into the woods. If I'd had my gun loaded I probably could have got him as he ran away. Tried to call him back but couldn't get any response.

Between the first two days of hunting I set up at five different places where there have been birds before or I'd seen tracks this year all to no avail.

Today, driving to the place I hunt I could see them down in the open field. Tried to sneak up on them through the woods but they made me and left. However; I set up the decoys, called a bit and got three toms and a hen to come into my decoys. They came in fast too. One of those toms is in the oven even as I write. He was a jake, but that means tender. Sans his feathers, guts and skin he weighted 11lbs 10 oz.
Life is good.

See attached pic.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 turkey.JPG (135.9 KB, 47 views)
Old April 9, 2016, 01:38 PM   #2
Toney

Awesome congrats
Old April 9, 2016, 05:04 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Looking good.