The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 16, 2019, 08:52 PM   #1
Chaparral

Remington 700 Boone & Crockett series 7mm mag

Picked up a very nice rifle today. Saw a very pretty rifle on the used rack. Turned out to be a Remington 700 Boone & Crockett series in 7mm mag. Read up on it and it stated it was from 2008. The gun looks brand new. My only concern is it appears to have a sporter weight fluted barrel that is 26 inches long. I have not shot it but I am guessing it will have a pretty good recoil. It also has a CDL stock. Anyone have any experience with this rifle?
Old January 16, 2019, 10:05 PM   #2
std7mag

That particular rifle, no.
Congrats on the purchase though!

Sounds like it should weigh close to my Savage 111.
Factory loads aren't too bad. About the same felt (to me) as a 30-06.
Some of my handloads with the 160gr Sierra GameKings over RL 26 can be fairly stout. Especially from prone.
A scope with good eye relief helps.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 17, 2019, 05:40 AM   #3
Jack O'Conner

7mm MAG is not too bad with recoil and it shoots very flat with 140 grain bullets. A quality pad like Limb Saver is very helpful.

Jack
Old January 17, 2019, 08:08 AM   #4
jmr40

In a similar weight rifle, shooting similar weight bullets you can't tell the difference in recoil between 7 mag and 30-06. Until you get past 400 yards the trajectory will be about the same and no game animal will ever notice the difference between 30-06 and 7 mag.

They shoot the same bullet weights to about the same speeds at the muzzle. But in similar bullet weights the 7mm bullets are much more aerodynamic and that starts to make a difference at longer ranges.

Winston Churchill
Old January 17, 2019, 09:36 AM   #5
BusGunner007

I have a 1989 700 BDL-AS 7MM REM.MAG.

The first time I shot it I had a grin on my face.
It was less harsh than my friend's Ruger M-77 in .30-06.
Nice!

You found a good rifle.
Old January 17, 2019, 12:30 PM   #6
Chaparral

Man great news guys!!!!! Can't wait to shoot it now. Everyone here knows all guns shoot different. And that goes for the bullet, powder, etc. I have an expensive Remington 40X in 300 Win Mag that is silly accurate but the recoil is brutal. And then again I have a Weatherby 338 Win Mag with a much lighter barrel that is really not bad to shoot. And I have a 270 Weatherby Mag that I swear is softer shooting than some of my 270 Winchesters. That is just like a Swiss K31 I am trying to work a load up for. That rifle weighs a good amount. Why it kicks the way it does is beyond me. Maybe I'm getting more mushy.