The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 3, 2016, 12:18 AM   #1
Drumson

Central Florida handgun sale

Greetings to all. I'm trying to get a clear understanding of Florida law regarding the private sale of handguns. I have a modest collection of handguns and I'm considering putting two up for sale. I've developed an additional hobby (photography) and the Nikon D500 is calling my name, and there is no way my wife will let me pull $2000 out of our bank account for a new camera. Sadly the first two will be my Dan Wesson Bob-Tail Commander and a model 1903 colt 32acp pistol manufactured in 1916. So the question is how do I stay within the law and make a private sale of a handgun in Florida? Thanks in advance and stay safe.

Mycle

Last edited by Drumson; September 4, 2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old September 3, 2016, 12:47 AM   #2
Model12Win

Try Gun Broker.
Old September 3, 2016, 06:49 AM   #3
g.willikers

Federal law sez you must not sell any firearm to a resident of another state, only to a resident of Florida in this case.
Proof of that would be prudent.
Lots of folks will only sell to a ccw holder as proof of them passing a criminal background check.
It's not legally required though.
But rather than trusting info here, check your local laws with someone who really knows.
Much safer.
Keeping a written receipt with the buyers ID info would probably be a good idea, too.
If you are concerned there's always selling to a FFL or putting the guns with one on consignment.

Last edited by g.willikers; September 3, 2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old September 3, 2016, 04:20 PM   #4
TailGator

I have a Florida resident, not a lawyer, but pay attention to firearm laws, and I am not aware of any restrictions on private sales in Florida law. You can sell as long as you have no reason to think the person is prohibited from owning firearms. A DL is a good idea to establish that the buyer is a Florida resident. Lots of people execute a bill of sale for their records, but it is not required.
Old September 3, 2016, 05:21 PM   #5
FITASC

Face to face sales are perfectly legal in Florida. There are a few Florida-specific forums where you can list them for free.
If your local paper isn't owned by the NY Times, you can place an ad in the paper. If you have a garage sale, you can sell them there. If you want to set up a table at one of the many flea markets, you can sell them there.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 3, 2016, 07:09 PM   #6
steve4102

Quote:

Federal law sez you must not sell any firearm to a resident of another state, only to a resident of Florida in this case.
Proof of that would be prudent.
Please post the Federal statute that states one can NOT sell a firearm to an out of state resident.
Old September 3, 2016, 07:17 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102
Please post the Federal statute that states one can NOT sell a firearm to an out of state resident.
I think I understand your point (long guns), but it might have been more helpful if you had just made that point.

Since this is a handgun discussion area and the firearms under discussion for sale are both semi-automatic handguns, even though g.willikers wrote "firearm" I suspect he really meant "handgun."
Old September 3, 2016, 07:54 PM   #8
steve4102

Fine
Please post the appropriat Fedeal law that says one cannot sell a handgun to an out of state resident.
Old September 3, 2016, 08:34 PM   #9
FITASC

Or course you can sell to an out of state person - through their FFL. I suspect the meaning was one that you cannot sell and deliver it directly to an out of state person.

BTW, I am in central FL. PM me about the DW
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 3, 2016, 09:40 PM   #10
Drumson

Thank you

Thanks for the comments it's been very helpful.

Mycle
Old September 3, 2016, 09:50 PM   #11
steve4102

Quote:
course you can sell to an out of state person - through their FFL. I suspect the meaning was one that you cannot sell and deliver it directl
Sorry, I didn't read it like that.

Stating it is a violation of Federal law to sell any firearm to an out of State resident is a far cry from, yes it is legal but you must go through an FFL for handguns but not for long guns.
Old September 4, 2016, 11:19 AM   #12
P5 Guy

OOPS!?!?!

Here I thought a store in Central Florida was having a sale on guns.