The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 6, 2016, 09:33 AM   #26
Evan Thomas
Staff

Metal God, the point is that no matter where majority opinions lie in either party, there are, out there in the world, liberals (Democrats, if you will) who support gun rights, and conservatives (Republicans) who don't. There are also Democrats who have never thought that much about the issue and don't feel that strongly about it; some of them are open to reasonable arguments -- not so much to name-calling, etc. People of different political persuasions are members here, and all sorts of other people read our forums.

It does us no good at all to alienate actual or potential supporters. That's why we have the policy we do, and that policy is not open for discussion. (That is a strong hint, and you'd do well to take it.)

ETA: cross-posted with Spats... but he's right.
Old July 6, 2016, 11:09 PM   #27
flyer898

I think Governor Brown is trying to supplant President Obama as the most prolific arms and ammunition salesman. Since those bills were signed I bought $1K in ammunition and $3K in AR rifles - I never owned an AR until these arrive, someday and hopefully soon. (Left-hand Stag Arms 3GL and 6L.)

I wonder how many AR and AK rifles have been purchased or ordered since 7/1; and how much ammunition has been ordered?

I am still looking for a left-hand AR-10 or equivalent.
Old July 6, 2016, 11:21 PM   #28
Metal god

I'm likely going featureless with one or two and dissembling the rest , not registering anything . As far as ammo , Thank god I reload . I figure that's what the hard core shooters will start doing if they're not already .

I was thinking today about the mandatory registration . CA in 2014 required all firearms to be registered when bought . They had only required hand guns to be registered prior to that . Is there a legal argument to be made that there is no need to register a firearm twice . The DOJ already knows who has what , at least since 2014 .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 7, 2016, 05:47 AM   #29
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god
. . . . Is there a legal argument to be made that there is no need to register a firearm twice . . . .
As in, "the new law which requires registration is invalid because the State doesn't actually need for me to register a gun twice?" I suppose you could make it, but you'd need to frame it differently. You won't get any traction with it written the way it was. Something along the lines of "the law is an unwarranted burden on the Second Amendment in that it: (1) burdens a core right of the 2A; (2) by requiring lawful gun owners to register guns a second time; (3) while providing no additional benefit to the State (because the guns were already registered)."

Last edited by Spats McGee; July 15, 2016 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 7, 2016, 10:04 AM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

While discussing the legal requirements of new laws is legit, discussion bordering on illegitimate markets isn't, so let's not.
Old July 13, 2016, 10:58 AM   #31
steve4102

Bullets also require a background check, so yes, reloaders are affected as well

(b) As used in subdivision (a) of Section 30305 and in Section 30306, “ammunition” includes, but is not limited to, any bullet, cartridge, magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, or projectile capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence. “Ammunition” does not include blanks.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...01520160SB1235
Old July 13, 2016, 11:04 AM   #32
steve4102

Who will be doing these background checks?

It is my understanding that the Feds/NICS will not allow individual States to use their system for Ammunition background checks?

If true, how will CA perform these checks?
Old July 13, 2016, 01:56 PM   #33
2ndsojourn

Steve,
Some states, including here in NJ, have their own NICS database and don't use the fed NICS. CA may be another one.
Old July 13, 2016, 02:40 PM   #34
Metal god

We here in CA don't believe it includes reloading components . If you read the above quote you can see some of those things named can't be fired from a firearm . Namely magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, so I think they were trying to cover all possible ammo . As we all know the law makers here in CA very rarely actually know what they are actually outlawing because they don't understand firearms in general .

As for CA and the NICS system . I believe CA does use it but that's not all they use . CA also has a separate system that follows , covers , more things then the NICS system .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 13, 2016, 03:03 PM   #35
steve4102

Quote:
We here in CA don't believe it includes reloading components .
Maybe not "Components all", but bullets and projectiles are named specifically.

Quote:
(b) As used in subdivision (a) of Section 30305 and in Section 30306, “ammunition” includes, but is not limited to, any bullet, cartridge, magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, or projectile capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence. “Ammunition” does not include blanks.
Seems clear to me?
Old July 13, 2016, 06:19 PM   #36
Metal god

So are magazines , clips and speed loaders . Seems clearly wrong to me . Are you saying you read the statute to require a background check on all mags , speed loaders and clips . No one else here does .

Not sure if you reload but how many times have you had to correct someone when they said bullet but really meant cartridge . We as a country often if not most times use the word bullet to mean a loaded cartridge . I believe that's what's meant here .

Old July 13, 2016, 07:16 PM   #37
steve4102

I reload.

Can't count how many times someone miss used the terms Bullet with Cartridge.

This legislation seems to have cleared that up as they used the terms "Bullet", "Cartridge" and even "Projectile".

They covered their bases and made it clear "in my mind" that a bullet is the projectile and not to be confused with a loaded "Cartridge".

Quote:
Any Bullet, Cartridge, or Projectile
Old July 13, 2016, 08:24 PM   #38
natman

Quote:
So are magazines , clips and speed loaders . Seems clearly wrong to me . Are you saying you read the statute to require a background check on all mags , speed loaders and clips . No one else here does .

Not sure if you reload but how many times have you had to correct someone when they said bullet but really meant cartridge . We as a country often if not most times use the word bullet to mean a loaded cartridge . I believe that's what's meant here .
Here's my take, with emphasis added:

Quote:
So if it's capable of being fired from a firearm it's covered, whether you call it a bullet, a projectile, a slug or a red, red rose.
Old July 14, 2016, 08:43 AM   #39
steve4102

I would also think that the wording here includes "bullets/balls,projectiles" that can be loaded into a Muzzle Loader.
Old July 14, 2016, 09:25 AM   #40
Metal god

Your interpretation would also include pellets and BB's . with a deadly consequence is open to any living thing I guess .

I do understand and agree the statute does appear to include the tips/bullets/projectiles . I guess I'm hoping the fact they got half the wording wrong by including mags , clips and speed loaders that they also wrote the bullets only wrong as well . We shall see

I went over to calguns to ask again what everyone thinks but apparently we are no longer aloud to talk about the new laws over there right now . The thinking is that the law makers monitor the site and if we talk about work arounds . The law makers will just pass another law banning the work around . After September first they no longer can introduce new legislation for this year . I guess that's are date we can then talk about these new laws

Last edited by Metal god; July 14, 2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old July 14, 2016, 10:10 AM   #41
carguychris

Quote:
Your interpretation would also include pellets and BB's...
This may be a reflection of my ignorance of CA law, but how would pellets and BB's fit this definition when they're not intended to be "fired from a firearm"? Does CA law define airguns as firearms?

I'll step back onto the sidelines now.
Old July 14, 2016, 11:06 AM   #42
Metal god

My point is that people are here are ignoring obviously wrong things in the bill and only excepting things they agree with . How is a mag anything that can be fired . Yet it's in there to get a background check . So I ask how is a pellet not capable of a deadly consequence . If mags , clips , speed loaders and auto loaders are wrongly included in the bill . Why can't firearm be wrongly interpreted as well .

Are you saying all we need to do is redefine what a pellet is ? Kind of like how the anti's keep redefining what an AW is. ... I'll have no problem shooting pellets from my firearms that remarkable appear very much like a bullet .

Last edited by Evan Thomas; July 14, 2016 at 11:14 AM. Reason: deleted off-topic content.
Old July 14, 2016, 11:14 AM   #43
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
but how would pellets and BB's fit this definition when they're not intended to be "fired from a firearm"?
Ah, but they ARE intended to be fired from a firearm, specifically SHOTGUNS!

and sorry, no, you can't really build a case to exempt air gun pellets, due to the wording of the law. "CAPABLE" does not depend on intended use.

Quote:
So if it's capable of being fired from a firearm it's covered, whether you call it a bullet, a projectile, a slug or a red, red rose.
They have indeed written a very inclusive law (as quoted). SO inclusive that one might, if you had the money and the time, take them to court over every truckload (or shovel full) of gravel sold in the state without a background check, because, after all, gravel IS CAPABLE of being fired from a firearm with deadly effect!

Banks and businesses ought to be running a background check on every customer too, because DIMES are capable of being fired out of a 12ga.

The possibilities are virtually endless. My Grandfather once loaded some 12ga with split peas, for a friend, who wanted to teach a dog a lesson, without killing it. Grandpa recommended rock salt, but the friend was insistent, he wanted split peas, so he got split peas. And, it killed the dog dead as a stone!!

Sure, its extreme, and they'll think its foolish, but it is what they wrote into the LAW!!!!

They didn't write "intended for" or "sold for the purpose of", they wrote "Capable of.." and literally everything in the world physically smaller than the bore size is capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence!

they wrote and passed a bad law. If you can't get it tossed, at least make them live with the unpleasant unexpected consequences, if you can.

If I won the lotto mega jackpot, I'd happily toss a few million your way to support the cause. Till then, all I can do is share ideas. Good Luck!
Old July 14, 2016, 11:22 AM   #44
Metal god

Quote:
Sure, its extreme, and they'll think its foolish, but it is what they wrote into the LAW!!!!
yes but didn't the affordable care act set precedent that it does not really matter what's in the text . All that matters is the intent . Penalty/tax they're the same thing .

Quote:
If I won the lotto mega jackpot, I'd happily toss a few million your way to support the cause. Till then, all I can do is share ideas. Good Luck!
That's a great proposal , unfortunately are legislature would either amend or rewrite a law mooting your suit so fast . It would just be a waist of money . CA with it's anti super majority has gotten really good at passing bills so fast it could make your head spin . These bills were just introduced this year and most were stopped in commit . Then Orlando happened and they gutted and rewrote other bills to become these anti gun bills. Not sure what date Orlando happened but that's how long it took these bills to become law .

Last edited by Metal god; July 14, 2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old July 14, 2016, 12:41 PM   #45
steve4102

Quote:
My point is that people are here are ignoring obviously wrong things in the bill and only excepting things they agree with . How is a mag anything that can be fired . Yet it's in there to get a background check . So I ask how is a pellet not capable of a deadly consequence . If mags , clips , speed loaders and auto loaders are wrongly included in the bill . Why can't firearm be wrongly interpreted as well .
First, I do not agree with any of this legislation, so forget that for now.

All I did, was post the Statute, you are free to interpret it any way you wish, as am I, but it doesn't matter what we think, it matters what it says.

Read it again.

Quote:
This (or) does not mean that the Mag,clips and speed loaders must be fired from a firearm.
Old July 14, 2016, 12:43 PM   #46
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris
...but how would pellets and BB's fit this definition when they're not intended to be "fired from a firearm"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Ah, but they ARE intended to be fired from a firearm, specifically SHOTGUNS!
<slaps forehead> I shoulda stayed on the sidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
They didn't write "intended for" or "sold for the purpose of", they wrote "Capable of.." and literally everything in the world physically smaller than the bore size is capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence!

they wrote and passed a bad law. If you can't get it tossed, at least make them live with the unpleasant unexpected consequences, if you can.
Sad but true.
Old July 14, 2016, 04:18 PM   #47
Metal god

Again you are cherry picking how you read the statute . You are doing the same thing the anti's do when they try to separate parts of the second amendment by saying it only includes militia's . Acting as if the part saying the right of the people shall not be infringed only goes to the militia . This statute claims amunition is magazines , clips and speed loaders . It claims those things can be fired from a firearm . Why are you ignoring that inaccuracy and hang on to the rest as if they wrote that correctly ?

I think 44amp showed how little they really thought about how the statute reads .

Last edited by Metal god; July 14, 2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old July 14, 2016, 07:10 PM   #48
natman

Quote:
This statute claims amunition is magazines , clips and speed loaders . It claims those things can be fired from a firearm . Why are you ignoring that inaccuracy and hang on to the rest as if they wrote that correctly ?
It was ridiculous for them to include magazines, clips and speedloaders in the law. It's also irrelevant to the point, which is that bullets - separate loading components - are clearly included in the law, other inaccuracies notwithstanding.
Old July 14, 2016, 09:49 PM   #49
44 AMP
Staff

The problem with the law, and nearly every law today is that while it is written in English, it is not written in English.

Call it legalsese or any other name, it is the equivalent of computer basic IF, THEN, GOSUB... and worse. Basic, I can figure out.

Quote:
(b) As used in subdivision (a) of Section 30305 and in Section 30306,

Quote:
ammunition” includes, but is not limited to,
How about this phrase?? What is an open ended phrase without a definition doing in ANY LAW??? Oh, wait, it IS a definition, of something in a different section...

The problem is an old one, it is the law making definitions for use in law that do not "match" the definitions in general use.

You could write a law that included Blue Whales as ammunition, you can include ANYTHING you want, and if passed, and signed, that what it legally becomes.

The use of "and", "or", "includes but is not limited to" and other things are used so the law can "say" or not say anything, and requires a court (lawyers and Judges) to tell us ordinary folk what it actually means.

On the other hand, if they wrote laws in plain easily understood English, a lot of people would be out of work.....
Old July 15, 2016, 08:28 AM   #50
steve4102

Bad law, bad language, whatever you wish to call it, "it" is now the law and it specifically spells out bullets and projectiles.

The bad language has placed the "bullet" a key component in reloading ammunition, on the list of items that one must go through a background check to purchase.