The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 14, 2011, 01:34 PM   #26
"JJ"

Scout learn all you can about them. Watch all the videos you can on youtube.
Even better register on buckingtheodds.com. It is a forum like this but it is dedicated to the pursuit of the coyote! Well really any predators. The founders have been on episodes of MOJO's Coming to the Call & make their own videos that you can watch for free as a member.
There are a bunch a great guys that don't mind sharing their experiences!

Warning- there is a reason they are called wile!!
If you decide to stop by say hi, I am "JJ" there as well!

Best of luck!
Old October 14, 2011, 02:41 PM   #27
rickyrick

I have found that if I provide the coyotes with a steady supply of pig carcasses they will leave everything else alone.

Late winter calving, coyotes are the most damaging.

They often get blamed for stuff that bobcats kill because the coyote is caught red handed in many cases, when in reality, they were finishing what the cat started.

In my opinion, feral dogs and coy-dogs are the most dangerous to farm animals.

every farm ends up a coyote or a few that kills livestock on a regular basis that needs to be taken out.

Coyote control is still very important, as a few well fed coyotes are way better than a bunch of starving desperate animals.

my coyote hunting attempts are always failures LOL.

The above statements are merely opinions based on personal observations. the whole post could be dead wrong. LOL

If I ever were able to get coyotes again...it would probably be .223.
Old October 14, 2011, 02:55 PM   #28
jimbob86

Quote:
do you guys shoot coyote's just because they're coyote's?
Well, when you get right down to it, yes.

They are in direct competition with me for game (turkeys, pheasant, quail, deer (they eat fawns, I want to those fawns to grow up before I eat them), rabbit......

Also, most of the farmers I ask to hunt on have cattle operations: they hate coyotes the way corn farmers hate corn rootworm.

That and a winter coyote hide will buy a box of bullets, a lb of powder, or the better part of 1,000 primers.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old October 14, 2011, 04:38 PM   #29
tahunua001

anything in my safe! 223 in green tip is a preferred if I'm hide hunting, fMJ if I just wanna killem.
Old October 14, 2011, 07:54 PM   #30
highvel

My Rem VR-15 in .204, love that little cartridge.

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old October 15, 2011, 12:17 PM   #31
Daryl

25 gr Berger match from a .17 Remington is my preference.

Have also shot them with .22 LR, .22 mag, .223, 22-250, .243, 270, 7mm Rem Mag, .357 revolver, and .45 Colt Vaquero.

Heck, I've even shot a few with a shotgun, but it's been better'n 20 years since I did.

Daryl
Old October 15, 2011, 12:32 PM   #32
Deja vu

Quote:
We have a few coydogs around here as well. One was killed after it attacked some hunting dogs, it weighed 67lbs. Some locals say that the coydog mix is why our coyotes are a bit larger then other areas. (50-60lbs top end, 40-50 not uncommon) Some of the old timers say our coyotes have a strong line of the Red Wolf that once was common in this area.
wow those are big Coyotes. I all most feel sorry for our coyotes with the "new" big dogs (wolves) in town.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 15, 2011, 06:50 PM   #33
Junglework

Shoot em with a .308 110gr. Hornardy TAP rounds, designed for LE head shots.
Pretty much blows them in Half!
Old October 15, 2011, 07:03 PM   #34
kraigwy

Ruger #1 in 204 Ruger, 32 grn V-max
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 15, 2011, 10:29 PM   #35
fatwhiteboy

Browning Model 1885 Highwall in .22-250. 52gr HPBT over 38.5gr of 4364. It's hell on prairie dogs and ground squirrels, as well.
Old October 15, 2011, 10:32 PM   #36
huntinaz

Quote:
Whatever I have in hand.
I'm not too picky about it either. I've used mostly a 243 and a 12GA with #4 buckshot, but I'll shoot them with whatever I have. Last time out I had a 45-70.
Old October 16, 2011, 12:07 AM   #37
603Country

I'm with Rickyrick and Jimbob86 in that I use pig carcases for bait and shoot every coyote I can find. I want the pressure off the deer fawn crop. I parked the 220 Swift and moved to the 260 Remington, and I'm having a great week. Shot a big hog this morning and about 10 minutes later, between sips of coffee, I saw 2 coyotes sniffing the dead pig. I got them too. That 260 just flat does a better job on both the pigs and the coyotes.
Old October 16, 2011, 07:27 PM   #38
BIG P

AR15-223 & 25-06 depends on the range.
Old October 17, 2011, 06:31 AM   #39
sourdough44

Usually a 243, when I don't have my Benelli M2 stoked with 3" Rem 'HD' T shot.
Old October 17, 2011, 06:48 AM   #40
2damnold4this

I was deer hunting with a muzzle loader this past Saturday and got to hear the coyotes hunting around and behind my stand. Several of the other guys saw the dogs and one of the guys missed one. There had been some turkeys behind me just a few minutes before all hell broke loose so it might have been one of the birds that was attacked before it could roost. I wish I could have seen what was happening.

After dark, I walked through the field to the road that is just out of sight of the stand and found a large fresh coyote poo that hadn't been there when I walked in. We've got to do something to get these coyotes under control at our club or they will run the deer off.
Old October 18, 2011, 02:33 AM   #41
lead head

My favorite is a .222 Rem with a Weaver K12 scope. Also like to use a .22 mag, .30 carbine, 20 Ga with #3 buckshot, or the old Browning Hi Power 9mm.
Old October 18, 2011, 07:17 AM   #42
jimbob86

Quote:
We've got to do something to get these coyotes under control at our club or they will run the deer off.
Bullets work. As do traps and poison.... but check your local regs.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old October 18, 2011, 08:45 AM   #43
kd7sgm

either .223 or .300 win mag w/ 110gr Vmax.
Old October 18, 2011, 12:21 PM   #44
Wyoredman

The wind never blows in Wyoming, but if it does, I put the Swift away and reach for one of the "bigger" guns. They all seem to kill 'em dead, but the heavier bullets help in the breeze!
Old October 18, 2011, 04:26 PM   #45
Daryl

Quote:
In my opinion, feral dogs and coy-dogs are the most dangerous to farm animals.
While I can certainly agree about the feral dogs, I always have to smile at the mention of "coy-dogs".

Why? 'Cause I've never even seen one in the wild. I live in an area where farm dogs, ranch dogs, and pet dogs run sorta rampant. Last night the coyotes howling kept my wife and I awake for better than an hour. Literally, we were surrounded. The coyotes howling and the resulting dogs barking made for an interesting try at catching some Z's.

With that mix, you'd think coy-dogs would be everywhere. Again, I've never seen one I could identify as a "coy-dog".

And I've killed a LOT of canine critters over the years. I've called them, used to trap them, and shot them over a period of some 35 years, with good success at it.

and I've yet to find a coy-dog.

Out of literally hundreds, and hundreds of coyotes I've killed, I've never found a coy-dog.

So I can understand coyote damages to calving and such. I can even agree with damages done by feral dogs. But forgive me if I'm doubtful that there's enough coy-dogs to even cause concern.

Daryl
Old October 18, 2011, 04:49 PM   #46
rickyrick

I have caught coyotes trying to mate with my dogs.

That being said, coy-dogs are in the eye of the beholder.. and the appearance of them is unpredictable as any mixed breed canine, they can look like a dog but have coyote mannerisms....many are accused of being chupacabra.
Old October 18, 2011, 10:25 PM   #47
"JJ"

I guess to be perfectly honest, I don't know 100% that the 67 lb canine labeled as a "coy-dog" actually was part coyote and part dog. It was described as having the build and pelt of a coyote but white socks on each of it's leg. Technically speaking they could have killed some farmer's dog! The word was that it had killed some of the dogs the locals used to run coyotes. Apparently this one guy had a "reject" dog. Instead off "baying", or what ever the correct term would be, it would kill every coyote and destroy the fur. This was in the 80s when the fur trade still existed. This guy took his "coyote killer" in to the area after this alleged "coy-dog" had killed some of his "good" dogs. He managed to shoot the alleged "coy-dog" as it was teaching his "coyote killer" a thing or two!
There are many traits or unique marking that can lead one to believe a coyote may be mixed. This one I killed late last year had some very "husky" like markings.

It also had shorter and courser fur then the one that came in with it & the one I killed in the same field two days later.

I am pretty sure it was all coyote!
I guess without a DNA test on the ones in question we may never know for sure!

With that being said the 102 lb "coyote" in MO was subjected to DNA test and it was determined that it was 100% coyote! In my opinion, value is debatable, it was obviously not full blood coyote judging from the pictures.

So I guess we can only form our own hypothesis from our own research that pleases us and go from there.

Back to the OP's topic- these both fell to #4 buck!!
Old October 19, 2011, 09:01 AM   #48
L_Killkenny

With regards to coydogs......... what Daryl said. After decades of predator hunting and trapping, reading every article I can find on the subject and being part of the biggest predator forum on the net for the better part of a decade I've yet to see anyone produce a coydog.

As for coyote caliber........ .22-250. Easy on the pelt, hard on the innards.

LK
Old October 19, 2011, 12:43 PM   #49
rickyrick

Y'all are right, I believe probably mistaken Identity in most cases, either coyote with markings associated with dogs or feral dogs exhibiting coyote like behavior.

Interestingly enough, I have one dog that was born not quite like the others; sorta scruffy coat, yippy shrill bark and no interest in human contact. As a matter of fact, he circles around at feeding time and waits for me to leave and its a rare occasion he accepts a treat from my hand. He gets along with the other dogs and is not agressive.
I still feed and care for him like the others But I think it was more of a roll of the genetic dice, instead of coy-dog, as I only keep mixed breed dogs
Old October 19, 2011, 02:33 PM   #50
spclPatrolGroup

I like .17 Rem, it does very little to the pelts. If you are just shooting them to kill them it doesnt really matter what you use. but if you are trying to make money on the fur, you will prefer something smaller.