The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old July 29, 2011, 04:04 PM   #26
603Country

When we lived in Houston, coons would climb through the cat door in the garage and eat the cat food and whup the stew out of my big tomcat. I got a trap and caught 14 of them over time. I'd spraypaint a spot of red or blue on them and release a few miles from the house. Any painted coon that got caught a second time was going to the dumpster. Up here in the country, I trap them in the wife's garden and they don't get a second chance. I'll be baiting the trap tonight. I bait with catfish food, which they seem unable to resist. Once caught and shot, they become coyote bait in the back pasture. And, another option is to cook them. Wife won't do it, but a buddy does from time to time, and it's real good.
Old July 29, 2011, 05:01 PM   #27
Buzzcook

Can't shoot them in the suburbs. Live trapped a couple and had animal control take them away.
Have found that they aren't Buick proof.
Old July 29, 2011, 07:25 PM   #28
acohoon

Raccoons are Crazy

While in college my fraternity brothers were having a social beverage in our chapter room (a 20' by 50' building for social functions). While my little bro was standing 15' from the door a raccoon ran into the building and bit him on the inside of his left leg very close to his manhood. This was through no provocation with around 25 guys hanging out in one area with music playing. The raccoon proceed to chase everyone out of the building and into the house. He followed several people into the house then ran them out of there. Finally someone toughened up and ran it off with a shovel. The guys called me and I brought over a live trap. A day later he was caught and dead and my little bro was already on rabies shots. I would guess without a doubt he was very sick. Moral of the story: Don't mess around with raccoons!
Old July 29, 2011, 09:13 PM   #29
Prof Young

Mother Coon ready to fight!!!

Hunters:

Long story short, I was trapped in a long walk way with only one exit by a mother coon and her kits. She was ready to eat my lunch and I just had to wait until she was ready to leave. This was at a ranger station in California at about 3 in the morning. I was returning the key to a cave.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old July 29, 2011, 09:38 PM   #30
Sarge

Rabies shots are no fun at all.
Old July 29, 2011, 09:41 PM   #31
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Years ago at Smitty's neighborhood bar in Sausalito, a couple of coons were regulars. They'd show up around 10 PM, nosh on leftover dinner rolls and then wander on their way. They were quite well-mannered, never disturbing us as we played Liar's Poker...
Old July 29, 2011, 09:52 PM   #32
Colorado Redneck

Tough critters to kill

"Coons are tough - next to a Tazmanian Devil, Honey Badger, Wolverines and Badgers, they are right up there for being pound for pound the toughest animals on earth."

Porcupines are pretty durable too. When we farmed in western Colorado, the cattle and dogs would get quills in their noses, and they were really tough to yank out. The porcupines would kill pine trees too. I shot one 7 times (missed twice ) with a 22 revolver once, and it dragged itself off into the trees. Felt bad about that.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:04 PM   #33
T. O'Heir

"...They are predators who kill just to kill..." Rubbish.
You should have left Rocky alone.
Old July 30, 2011, 01:10 AM   #34
SRH78

Years ago, I ran across one that just didn't want to die. At the time, I was using an old single shot 22. The coon was up a tree and when it looked down at me, I shot it directly between the eyes. It immediately fell from the tree and I walked over to collect my prize. Well, to my suprise, the coon sat up and looked at me with a look of suprise and confusion. I shot him in the head again from about 3' and he fell over but he didn't stay down. He had lots of blood running down his face but he got right back up. This time I literally put the muzzle directly against his skull and fired a third shot. He fell over and rolled a few feet but got up, yet again and now he was seriously ticked off. At this point my stepbrother proceeded to hit him over the head repeatedly with a shovel. After about the 10th swing or so, the coon finally gave up and died. I have never seen anything like it.
Old July 30, 2011, 03:35 AM   #35
Bamashooter

Must be some bad shots. I killed one with my daisy powerline 1000 pellet gun with one shot and the racoon was in the very top of a tree. Right between the eyes with a crossman destroyer ex pellet and he was done. I fed him to my dogs.
Old July 30, 2011, 06:55 AM   #36
ltc444

Down in south Arkansas they used to have a Democratic Fund raiser were they served Barbqued Coon. It was, along with the Chidester Squirell Muligan dinner, a truly outstanding feed. I wish I had the recipet.
Old July 30, 2011, 08:58 AM   #37
Wag

Equivalent of a Tasmanian Devil, to be sure.

I don't consider them on the same order of rats or other rodents, but they can be destructive. If their populations increase, then some thinning is definitely in order.

The story of the Blue Tick hound above resonates. Those smart coons can really tear up most dogs. Usually, hunters take at least three dogs but as luck would have it, they'll end up getting aholt of three coons all at once! Hunters really need to be aware and protect their dogs if a fight breaks out. It's good thing the dang dogs can't climb trees....

It's really impossible to speculate about why they kill, seemingly indiscriminately. My own thoughts are that they kill chickens in order to get to the eggs but I dunno, really. They will eat meat but they generally prefer things like fish.

Hard critters to explain. Cool to watch until they start wrecking your place.

--Wag--
Old July 30, 2011, 09:06 AM   #38
mrbro

We ran over one with a Mercedes diesel once. Rolled under the drivetrain, not under the tires. In the mirror I watched it sit up, shake it off, and wander off the road.
Old July 30, 2011, 11:32 AM   #39
rodwhaincamo

Coons are good eating???
Particular way of cooking them? I'm willing to try almost anything once I suppose. I've certainly eaten things many would turn their nose up to.
Old July 30, 2011, 05:07 PM   #40
603Country

Yup, coons are good eating, though my wife refuses to cook them. I trap a lot of them out here in the country since they are always in the wife's garden, and that's a capital offense - according to her. I trapped a big one last year, and the neighbor's big mutt dog was over here. The dog was on the outside of the trap raising heck and I guess he was saying how he'd kick the coon's tail if he wasn't in that trap. The coon was making some pretty aggressive statements of his own. I wasn't going to shoot that coon, but just let him out of the trap, so I ran the dog off toward the front gate. I turned to the trap to let the coon go, and I guess the dog sneaked back. The coon came out of the trap and the dog hit him like a missile and the battle was on. The dog was winning till the coon chomped down on the dogs bottom lip. After that the coon was in charge. The coon finally broke free and made the woods, and the dog just sat there bleeding from at least 5 places, but I swear to you that dog was smiling about what fun he just had. A couple of days later I had a dead coon in the yard and that dog wouldn't get within 15 feet of it. He just stood off a ways and observed.
Old July 31, 2011, 06:15 AM   #41
Zen Archery

my farmer friend HATES them. they get under his house and do the nasty thing which sounds like 2 cats killing each other. they also break into his garage and steal his dog food (in a sealed garbage can), cow pellets (in a sealed 5 gallon bucket), and trash!!!

at least 4x a year i am called to come and dispatch 'dem coons!!!
Old July 31, 2011, 07:48 AM   #42
Come and take it.

Stepped out on my porch and saw three stealing our cat food. Went and grabbed my 17hmr rifle and stalked them out back of the house as they kept hanging around in the trees waiting to come back. Shot one and blew its lower jaw off (found it dead in the morning). I heard the most craziest screaming and crying. Didnt know that Raccoons could get that vocal.

Kind of unnerved me, especially seeing so many right out on my porch just a yard from my feet.

A person paid me 10 dollars to come out and shoot a coon they had livetrapped the other day.

I have never seen so many coons in my part of the world. They are becoming an epidemic. Coons and rabbits should have open season year round.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:29 AM   #43
dahermit

Quote:
Kind of unnerved me, especially seeing so many right out on my porch just a yard from my feet.

A person paid me 10 dollars to come out and shoot a coon they had livetrapped the other day.

I have never seen so many coons in my part of the world. They are becoming an epidemic. Coons and rabbits should have open season year round.
The explosion of raccoons is the result of the anti-fur movement many years ago. If you remember the throwing or red paint on fur coats, picketing, etc.
Before then, the price of raccoon fur was such, the people would actually stop and pick up road-kill raccoons in the fall. I trapped back then, and remember getting $45 for a single large (x-large would have brought more), coon pelt.
However, after the anti-fur crazies did their work, the fur prices dropped to the point where the price of the traps was more than one could get in a season of trapping, effectively ending trapping as source of supplemental income.
Now, instead of being utilized by someone and keeping the population low, we (I) kill them to keep them from destroying my goose eggs, goslings, and throw them into the soybean field as fertilizer. I have poisoned, trapped and shot at least 15 this year (12 opossums), 18 last year. So, anti-fur jerks, you are not "saving" them from trapping, shooting, etc., they are just a resource that is being wasted.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:46 AM   #44
solvability

We had bandits in the garbage cans and set out one trap and filled it every night for a month - got a second trap and filled both every night for a month - I relocated those guys - do not put them in your SUV they stink.

Gave up on the relocation and built a cage for the Garbage cans to keep them out - they went away when the food source was unavailable.

If you need to bait a trap there is nothing better than chicken scraps and particularly Fried Chicken - no I am not kidding.

When I used fried chicken I often got more than one in a trap.

I had one die that wedged his head under the door and choked itself to death.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:52 AM   #45
dahermit

Relocate hell...kill them. "Relocating" is just making them someone else's problem. I live in the country, just let me catch someone "relocating" them to my area!
Old July 31, 2011, 09:02 AM   #46
shortwave

I and the dog kill several coons a year. Winter and summer. Not for just the sake of killing. Just something that goes with the territory of living in the country, especially in the middle of the woods.

Coons gotta have food, shelter and are no different than any other animal. They'll get that in usually the easiest, most convenient way.

Problem is, around these parts, there's really no natural preditor other than possibly coyote to keep population in check. Nobody traps anymore.

I killed five that were in the barn huddled in a big ball under the steps last winter. The barn seems to attract them although there's no food of any kind in the there. I believe they were there to get out of the extreme, prolonged cold we were having at the time.

They are smart also. I put an electric fence around garden to keep all wildlife outta there. Worked for awhile. One morning I get up, looked at the garden and it looked like someone had destroyed my sweet corn with a vengence like I had slapped their momma or something.

Couldn't figure out how the bandits were getting past the electric fence so I sit out in the yard that night and watched the coons come out of the woods, go straight to a tree located close to the garden where they climbed the tree and went out on limbs overhanging a small corner of the garden and dropped about 12ft or so into garden.

Had to rig tin around base of tree.

The electric slowed them down but I usually end up live trapping and killing 6-8 a year that still manage to get in the garden.

The fruit tree's. They don't bother the apple tree's. Won't get into how they'll totally strip peach tree's of literally hundreds of peachs in a single night. They know right when those peach's are ripe and you'll wake up with not one peach on a single tree with peach pits piled up under the trees.

I'm retired now so I plan on getting even this year. As I'll be able to stay outside a few nights this year when the peachs are ready to thin the herd.
Old July 31, 2011, 12:07 PM   #47
603Country

Like I mentioned earlier, coons have been making a mess of my wife's garden and flower beds, so she put a "contract" on them. I'm the contractor. Caught one in the trap last night about 10 pm and was planning to do my contract work this morning. But...it was a momma coon and this morning there were two little ones trying to get their faces into the trap to get milk from momma. My wife got all gooshy and wouldn't dream of letting me harm a hair on their little bandit faces. So we let her go. Geez...
Old July 31, 2011, 01:57 PM   #48
Sarge

Now you'll have to kill all three of them.
Old July 31, 2011, 02:47 PM   #49
Daryl

'Coons can be tough if you don't hit 'em right. It's amazing how long they'll last, and how much they'll fight with a poor hit.

And one well placed .22 LR or .17 HMR kills them deader'n scat pretty much immediately. I've killed them very effectively with CCI CB shorts from a .22 rifle, but you have to hit them in the right spot on the forehead.

Daryl
Old August 1, 2011, 09:37 AM   #50
rickyrick

LOL, And injured raccoon will rip off his own leg and beat you with it...

About 5 out of 100 coons will show super-ummm-raccoon abilties even after receiving a hail of bullets from a frustrated hunter...

I was chastised into submission on this forum once for sharing one of those stories..... but they happen, awesome shot and all....even with half the face missing.
apart from vaporizing the animal... not much you can do but keep shooting it.

PS. They cannot resist marshmellows
Closed Thread