The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 11, 2006, 06:35 PM   #1
mrseven70

DeLisle Commando Carbine

Does anyone out there own one of these and what do you think about it? Is it worth paying over $2000 for it? Would like to hear any and all stories! Thanks.
Old August 14, 2006, 03:24 PM   #2
wrcook

Last I knew Valkyrie Arms made a nice reproduction of the DeLisle. Here is the URL. I suspect that an original would bring 100 grand plus, if one ever comes up. When it is the only game in town, not much choice. I have heard that Valkyrie makes a very fine product. I am considering one of these myself.

http://www.valkyriearms.com/delisle.htm

Bill C
Old August 15, 2006, 02:45 AM   #3
Chaingunner

It's a...

..silenced bolt action carbine?

neat!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."
Old August 15, 2006, 12:55 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

They were made from worn out SMLE receivers, with a .45 barrel and modified to use M1911 Colt magazines. They were supposedly to be used by Commandos and other special forces, hence the silencer. It is a bit difficult to see a role for one today, but they might be fun. One could be made fairly easily, and it would be legal if registered (U.S.) as a short barrel rifle, then the silencer also registered.

Jim
Old August 15, 2006, 08:11 PM   #5
Death from Afar

A mate of mine made one from a battered SNLE. It was kinda cool, and eerily silent.
Old August 15, 2006, 09:21 PM   #6
TNT

If they make one that is true to form of the original they claimed that the only thing you could hear was the firing pin hitting the primer but now you got me thinking
Old August 16, 2006, 04:56 PM   #7
UniversalFrost

you can buy a conversion kit for the enfields now that convert them to .45 and accept 1911 mags. The fact that they are suppressed is awsome, but you can get an old suppressor and have it registerd and your enfield converted and threaded for a lot less. But the Commando would be a great gun if you could get it.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 16, 2006, 08:18 PM   #8
TNT

got a link for that conversion UniversalFrost?
Old August 17, 2006, 07:09 PM   #9
smince

http://www.rhinelandarms.com/
Old August 17, 2006, 08:55 PM   #10
TNT

mrseven70 if I get in trouble becasue of this its your fault
Old August 17, 2006, 11:46 PM   #11

One of my best friends has one.
It isn't a Valkyrie Arms, it was made by a guy that makes them from the original drawings and sells them on an auction site, I think auction arms.
I have shot it a few times.
It is VERY quiet. I have a half dozen suppressed guns and/or suppressors and this is easily the quietest.
It isn't accurate for crap. At 50 yards you could probably put every shot on a human torso but that is about it. It groups about the size of a paper plate at 50 yards after pretty extensive testing of ammo/loads/possible problems with the gun........... This wasn't a quick and dirty test: he fired it quite a bit.

If you read the book SILENCER HISTORY & PERFORMANCE, VOL II . Here is the link: http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=762 it goes into great detail about the development of the originals and upon reading that it occured to me that they wern't getting much better accuracy then by the inventor at the factory.

It also doesn't feed all that great. It works, but it isn't smooth. The magazines it takes are 1911 magazines, but they are modified 1911 magazines, which you have to buy from a manufacturer of DeLisle carbines and I am sure they ain't cheap. Repeat, these are not standard pistol 1911 magazines.

The originals were made using Thompson SMG barrels.

If you just want a suppressed carbine in .45 ACP there are a lot more practical and cheaper ways to go. But, for the history buff, the DeLisle is very cool. My buddy that owns this is a British citizen and is seriously into British WWII gear. He owns all the rifles, all the pistols, all the knives, the uniforms, a Sten, a Sterling, and a Thompson. Him buying a DeLisle was a given.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old August 18, 2006, 06:00 PM   #12
UniversalFrost

Thanks smince. I was just about to post the same link. Lot of the Aussies are doing this now with their enfields since the semi auto ban over there and the shortage of .303 ammo at times (or at least that is what i heard the major reason is).

I got an old no 4 that is in bad shape, thinking about doing the conversion (minus the suppresor) reviews on line said it works pretty slick, will let you know if I do it.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 29, 2006, 05:16 AM   #13
MountainBear

Location: Floating between Oregon and Alaska depending on the season...
The Rhineland Arms kit looks pretty cool. If you can get your barrell off of your SMLE, then you can do the rest at home. It uses a Savage type barrell bushing, so get the go/no-go guages for headspacing and go to work...
All things considered, I think I'd rather have the silenced version, just for the history factor, even if it is a reproduction.
Old August 29, 2006, 09:43 AM   #14
deadin

DeLisle Commando Carbine

Useful Factor 0%
Cool Factor 100%