The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 2, 2019, 09:54 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

Maybe moving cross country

For my spouses job we may be moving from Florida to Arizona. My question is what is the best way to move 5 safes full of firearms including several NFA items?
Old February 2, 2019, 10:22 PM   #2
Bimus

Rent a truck large enough to live in till you get there stay with the truck no dinners or hotels let someone else go in to the stop and go to get snacks .
Old February 2, 2019, 11:46 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Best way isn't the cheapest way. You can put everything in a large enough truck and guard it all yourself all the way there, but I think it would be better to hire a bonded shipping company, one with experience in such shipments.
AND, insure them to the hilt. Separately, and in addition to what ever insurance the shipper offers.

I don't know who that would be, but I know they exist. Not cheap, but the only thing more secure would be to hire private security along with the shipper.

I don't know how many thousands of dollars you have invested, but what would you do if it was that much gold bullion or gems?? Or artwork?? The cash value could be the same, the only difference is the physical bulk of the items.

Also, a bonded shipment will be done in accordance with all applicable laws, firearms laws, and shipping regulations.
Old February 3, 2019, 12:07 AM   #4
FloridaGuy

44 AMP all relocation costs are being covered by her employer. It would be hard for me to guard it myself because we will also be moving 5 pets at the Sametime (3dogs and 2cats).
Old February 4, 2019, 11:20 AM   #5
hagar

Or buy a 16-20 foot enclosed trailer, and sleep in rest areas. Do not leave vehicle alone..

I'll be going through the same thing in a couple of years, moving from SC back to AZ.
Old February 4, 2019, 01:15 PM   #6
Bottom Gun

My work required me to travel long distances and stay for extended periods (usually 6 months to a year or more) so I would take a lot of gear along including guns and other valuables. I would often pull a U-Haul trailer cross-country.
After a few of my colleagues had their entire rigs stolen while they slept in motels, I started leaving one of my dogs inside my vehicle when I stopped for the night. My dog didn’t particularly like being in my vehicle overnight at first but after he realized he would get lots of special treatment and yummy treats for his effort, he started looking forward to doing it.
Over the years I awoke to a commotion a couple of times and looked out in time to see some low life scurrying across the motel parking lot away from my truck but I never suffered any loss thanks to my faithful puppy.
I always made sure he had plenty of food and water and if I woke up in the middle of the night, I would dress and take my dog for a quick walk before I went back to sleep.
I never worried about my gear when my dog was on duty.
Old February 4, 2019, 02:30 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...5 safes full of firearms including several NFA items?..." Like 44 Amp says, that indicates a rather sizeable investment. I'd be thinking moving company with lots of insurance too.
The pets ever traveled far? Might be an idea to talk to your vet too.
Old February 4, 2019, 04:42 PM   #8
kmw1954

I cannot remember the name of the company but years ago when my sister relocated from Illinois to Montana they hired a trucking company that actually dropped a container at their house and they were able to load it at their leisure. When they were ready the company picked up the container and delivered it to the new address. As I recall they were able to double padlock the container.
Old February 4, 2019, 04:47 PM   #9
FITASC

Get a POD or however many you need - you load it, lock it; they drive it. ABF and Roadway also offer the same type of service; or just call United or one of the other big boys, list everything and buy the replacement insurance, NOT the .60/lb standard stuff
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa