The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 24, 2012, 08:57 PM   #126
Willie Sutton

Unless you are alone out in the woods or desert and have a pistol as an adjunct to your wilderness experience:

Open Carry is a Political Statement.

Concealed Carry is a Tactical Position.

I would never give up my most important tactical advantage: Surprise. I carry to defend myself, if I want to make a statement I put an NRA sticker on my car (which I do not... again... I do not give up any tactical advantage).

Now, spending some 4 months a year in the Mojave Desert, I was quite happy and content to open carry *in the desert* until a bunch of IDIOTS in California decided to OC when it was absolutely not appropriate, and their *political statement* ended up in our losing the legal ability to carry openly out in the desert, ruining what had been a practical solution to snakes and such. THANKS A LOT for losing that battle for us ....

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; February 24, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old February 24, 2012, 10:55 PM   #127
BIG P

CC in the city surprize factor
open C in the country for convinence.
Old February 25, 2012, 02:12 AM   #128
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Open Carry is a Political Statement.

Concealed Carry is a Tactical Position.
I disagree on both counts.

While it would likely still be my choice for a variety of reasons if I had a choice, for me, at the current time, concealed carry is simply the only legal option.

OC is certainly a political statement for some, but for others it's not any sort of statement at all, it's just business as usual. It can also be a good tactical choice as well, under the proper circumstances.

I think it's easy for folks on both sides of this issue to paint with the broad brush--both when looking at their own position and that of others--and I think that's a mistake. This topic is a lot more complex in many respects than it is often given credit for being.
Old February 25, 2012, 02:59 AM   #129
AndersonG22

Quote:
OC is certainly a political statement for some, but for others it's not any sort of statement at all, it's just business as usual. It can also be a good tactical choice as well, under the proper circumstances.
And under the proper circumstances a katana can be a good tactical choice as well, but in the majority of circumstances a concealed gun would be the best choice. That's because you would have the edge on the attacker, the element of surprise.

As Sun Tzu says in The Art of War..."In battle, confrontation is done directly, victory is gained by surprise".
Old February 25, 2012, 03:05 AM   #130
JohnKSa
Staff

The point is that since OC can be a good tactical choice in some cases, it's incorrect to state or imply that it is only done to make a political statement and never for tactically sound reasons.

Similarly, since CC may be the only choice, it's incorrect to state or imply that it is only chosen for tactical reasons.
Old February 25, 2012, 10:17 AM   #131
shortwave

^^^ ...again, advantages and disadvantages of both.

Tags
concealed carry , open carry , self-defense , tactics