The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 7, 2005, 06:27 PM   #1
tjhands

Dumb question about accuracy....

When people say, "I usually get 3 inch groups at 25 yards," are they talking about shooting from a rest or shooting freehand from a standing position, or what? Thanks.
Old April 7, 2005, 07:45 PM   #2
fwcofficer

At that distance with a handgun, I would hope they were shooting freehand, and standing.
#20 Tony Stewart
Old April 7, 2005, 09:51 PM   #3
Avid Concealer

Well it could be either one, but 25 yards isn't that far, I usually shoot my pistol at at least 50 yards unless I'm trying to site it in. Generally speaking the individual would be standing.
Old April 8, 2005, 08:04 AM   #4
tjhands

Thanks. I didn't know if there was a "standard" or what.
Old April 8, 2005, 03:08 PM   #5
MX5

When guys talk about 3 inches at 25 yards standing without support, they are generally talking about the groups they don't screw up, lol. That kind of accuracy day in and day out, cold and on demand, is not typical outside of the upper levels of competition.
Old April 10, 2005, 08:33 AM   #6
Trapp

I have wondered that question myself. I go to the range and only shoot freehand standing or with a shoulder against a post. I shoot between 15 and 40 yds with my pistols. Some days I do excellent and other days I am mediocre. Then I look at other people. Most (70%) shoot solely at 15 yds. Their shots range from a ragged hole (mine most of the time, this one guy with a BHP every single time, and a few random others) to sometimes missing the target completely. Most people from what i have seen are just down right horrible at the range. (at my range we have 24" by 24" targets). Oh, and I generally don't shoot for "groups" in the conventional sense. I go for practice, to throw lead and to check reloads. For me the only shot that really matters is the first one.
Old April 15, 2005, 11:39 AM   #7
nonquixote

I'm often sceptical of people's claims of accuracy. The best I've ever done freehand is a little bigger than 4" at 25 yards, and at the range I shoot I've seldom seen anyone do much better than that. I have a few pistols that I can shoot in the 4-6" range fairly regularly. For the rest of my pistols 8-10" at 25 yds is pretty decent for me and I consider that acceptable for a service pistol.

Nonq
Old April 15, 2005, 02:21 PM   #8
Jim Watson

The ten ring on an NRA bullseye target is 3.39" diameter. It is shot at in slow fire at 50 yards, rapid fire (5 shots in 10 seconds) and timed fire (5 shots in 20 seconds) at 25 yards. With one hand, standing on your hind legs like a man. It is tough.
Old May 2, 2005, 12:12 PM   #9
a10t2

Just for reference, at the range the other day I shot 64/100 into an NRA bullseye, 25 yards, timed fire, Weaver stance. 75/100 inside the 8-ring, 91/100 in the 7-ring, and I got all 100 inside the 5-ring this time ;-). Based on other people I've shot with, I would consider this to be average or maybe a little below average. More importantly, it means that I can be 75% sure of making a torso shot at 25 yards should it come down to that.
Old May 2, 2005, 12:44 PM   #10
spacemanspiff

pshhhawww!

if i cant keep my groups at 25 yards under 1/2 inch after running 10 laps up and down the shooting lanes (during a ceasefire, i'm crazy but not stupid....or is it the other way around?) and using a stance where i have my back to the firing line and arch down so i can shoot between my legs and upside down, and having 2 other shooters intentionally showering me with brass from their shooting on one side, and another shooter touching off a couple rounds of 300 Win Mag with muzzle brake on the other side (you know, to simulate real world defensive shooting scenarios), i aint having a good day.