The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 1, 2001, 08:40 PM   #1
gburner

norinca shottys

i'm looking for any info on new norinco shotguns. my local store had them for $229. are they cheap or are they CHEAP (poorly made)?
thanks in advance.

--------------
damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead
Old October 1, 2001, 11:27 PM   #2
taco

You mean the pumpgun that looks like Rem870?
Old October 2, 2001, 06:17 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Besides the morality of dealing with the world's largest remaining dictatorship, $229 will get you a nice used 870 made in the US, durable as heck, and likely to outlast all of us by a coupla generations.
Old October 2, 2001, 06:24 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Regardless of politics, the Chinese guns have a very mixed review. The 1911 clone had good frames & slides, poor everything else. The M14/M1A clones had soft bolts that battered themselves unserviceable in short order.

Strongly agree with Dave that a used 870/M37/1300 is a better value.

Giz
Old October 2, 2001, 11:12 AM   #5
Cthulhu

Can we have single thread about any Chinese-made gun without 5 posts saying "I wouldn't buy something that supports Communist China." The poster asked the shotgun, rather than the political philosophy of the manufacturer/ parent country.

I've examined and fired the 2 of their Rem 870 clones designated as the Model 982. Admittedly not a wide sample, but both were more than acceptable in terms of fit, finish, and function. Internally the parts were well fitted, and showed few tool marks or rough spots. Parts seem to be 95% compatible with 870's. Major internals interchange as do trigger assemblies (though the Norinco has a steel or aluminum guard rather than the polymer on on the 870). Barrels do not interchange, as the magazine length is longer on the Norinco. The ghost ring sights were well regulated, and extremely robust. I can't comment on durability compared to the proven 870, as of yet, but both fired and cycled without a hitch.

Concerns of poor heat treating or questionable metallurgy are common among discussions of chinese firearms. At their worst, I doubt these guns are any weaker than American-made pump shotguns from the earlier days of heat treating. We are talking about relatively low pressure shotshell rounds, not 7.62mmx51, so I'm not as worried about the possibility of catastrophic failure with these shotguns.
Norinco 982s (18.5"bbl, polymer stock, Ghost Rings) go for $179 in shops near my home, so $220 seems a bit high.
Old October 2, 2001, 04:05 PM   #6
gburner

thanks for the info minus the rhetoric.
Old October 2, 2001, 11:56 PM   #7
taco

Politics aside, they are very good shotguns. I think practically every part is interchangable with Remington except the barrel, magazine tube and the forearm. The forearm from Remington will not fit correctly due to the difference in the barrel contour (Norico barrel is thicker) but with a little work they will fit.

The price of $229 seems very high. I've seen them in Sports Authority around here for $170 or so for the 28" model with one mod. choke. 4 years ago I bought 3 of those shotguns for $129 each from a gunshop here who discontinued stocking them because the owner said he couldn't sell Rem870 when he started stocking the Norincos and the margin on Rem was much better. All three of those shotguns get used and abused a lot but they still work perfectly.