The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 02:14 PM   #1
GRyder

lcr cleaning

I just got a new lcr .38 +p and was wondering it I need to take it apart and clean it or is it good to go out of the box. It is very clean also this is my first revolver.
Old February 23, 2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Newton24b

take the manual out, open it to the pages about cleaning it. follow the directions. simple to do.

and yes you do need to clean it before you use it. basic procedure. and you get to see how it looks before you use it. thats how you can tell if something isnt right after that first 100 round box goes through it.
Old February 23, 2013, 02:40 PM   #3
kutz

Mine shot just fine out of the box.
Old February 23, 2013, 02:48 PM   #4
GRyder

Right. The manual... Forgot about that . Was just too excited and this forum has become my manual.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:08 PM   #5
DaleA

Don't forget this thread. After you shoot it come back and post your thoughts.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:26 PM   #6
mukwah

Re: lcr cleaning

I just run a good bore cleaner through the bore and cylinder then wipe down with patches. Last I run a oiled patch with CLP through the bore and cylinder and wipe her exterior down with a good gun oil. She' good to go.
I've had a LCR. 38/.357 for a year and a half now and love it.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:47 PM   #7
bluetopper

Had my 38 LCR for about 3 years now......love it.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:58 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

While it will probably perform without issue, I'd recommend removing the factory oil. That stuff is there more for corrosion protection than lubrication, and it'll often attract gobs of powder fouling.

Aside from that, the initial cleaning gives me the opportunity to familiarize myself with the weapon and catch any possible defects.
Old February 24, 2013, 09:02 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

Maybe a little clarification on what you mean by "taking it apart"?

If a guy is an experienced revolver person and knows what he's doing, he may "take it apart". If you aren't - I'd advise against doing it - you may be going back to the gun store with a shoebox full of loose parts.

With any firearm - new to you - read the manual and become familiar with it first. I've had mine about two years - a .357 model - and I love it. All I did was read the manual (I'm not a "manual reader" and I am an experienced shooter BUT, the LCR was "new" to me). I wiped it down to get any factory oil off, cleaned the bore and chambers and it shot great. I'm sure it would have shot fine right out of the box but I always clean a firearm first when I get it.

After shooting mine, I clean the bore and chambers with Hoppes #9, wipe it down to remove any residue and then as a final step, run a patch through the bore and chambers lightly oiled with RemOil. Everybody has their preferred cleaning solutions/oil/ etc. - there is no "one way only" to clean.

Let us know how you like it. Mine is my primary CCW and I carry on the belt. I find it to be a great pistol and really enjoy the light weight of it in regards to carry. I haven't shot the 22 or 22Mag version yet but I hear a lot of people who have 'em, love 'em. Good luck!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 24, 2013, 11:06 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

LCRs vs SP101...

+1 on the read the owners manual bit. Plus, in a lethal force event, if a criminal investigator or lawyer asks you if you read the firearms manual you can say; yes!
I owned a NIB Ruger SP101 .357magnum in the early 1990s. That owners handbook also showed a way to take the revolver apart but I never did it.
Is the LCR line the same way?
I'd add to run a light amount of CLP or Ballistol over your firearm before shooting at the range. It may speed cleaning later & keep the crud, powder, lead, etc off the weapon.
Good gun care products include Hoppes # 9, Butchs Bore Solvent, Weaponshield, Eezox, Gunzilla, Birchwood-Casey Synthetic Gun Cleaner.

Clyde
www.brownells.com www.midwayusa.com www.gunzilla.us www.eezox.com www.grafs.com www.weaponshield.com
Old February 26, 2013, 12:43 AM   #11
GRyder

Sorry about my terminology since I'm not familiar with revolver. By taking it apart I mean stripping down the action and the system inside the grip.

I just went ahead and clean and lube the bore and cylinders. Shot just 100 rounds through it this past weekend as its been snowing here in Wisconsin! It shot just fine and trigger is smooth. Btw I was debating between the +p or the 357 and choose the former only because I'm not going to be shooting magnum out of a snub-nose light weight. Plus I like the rounded cylinders of the +p as opposed to the more angular cylinders of the 357 pic will be up soon!
Old February 26, 2013, 01:19 AM   #12
ClydeFrog

+P .38spl vs a full house .357magnum....

In my opine, a .38spl +P or +P+ round works best in small frame(J frame size) over a full power .357magnum.
.357magnums are tops for LE & armed citizens but meant for K/L/N frames or the robust GP-100 series. Barrels: 4-6".

I'd pack a few .357magnum 125gr JHP or maybe a top load from DPX, Speer Gold Dot, Federal, Buffalo Bore, Golden Saber but only in a speed strip or 2.

If a critical incident has gone sideways and I'm in dire need of a spare strip, I'd either flee or load up a snub with magnum ammunition.

Clyde
Old February 26, 2013, 07:38 PM   #13
DaleA

I've shot an LCR with 158 grain .357 magnum and it was not pleasant-as in I'm not going to do that any more if I have a choice.

125 grain .357 magnum was a handful. I'll shoot it but not much of it at any one time.

Next time I'm at the range I might try some .38 special and some .38 special +P ammunition.

The LCR ran fine. I've heard speed loaders are problematic with it so maybe I'll go with some speed strips for reloads. That's what folk on this board seem to be doing.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:48 PM   #14
ClydeFrog

My 2 bits; orange Quik-Strips...

My input would be to snag a few safety orange Quik-Strips. They come in black polymer too. I prefer orange so you can ID it quickly in low light or in a high stress event.
I carry bright color handcuffs for the same reason, .
Tuff Products is the Quik Strips firm.
Check www.brownells.com www.midwayusa.com www.tuffproducts.com .

ClydeFrog