The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 27, 2019, 09:57 PM   #1
SEHunter

Hoppes blast n shine damaged aluminum finish

(Edit: the receiver is steel, not aluminum. Didn’t realize it at first.)

Due to my own carelessness, i got some hoppes blast n shine on the aluminum receiver of a milled Arsenal AKM receiver. It streaked a spot and turned the white rag purple when i wiped it off. I dont know how the “blued” aluminum finish was done or what chemical is used on the aluminum to achieve the matte black/satin black coloring. Does anyone know of a product I could use to try to touch up or attempt to lessen the obviousness of the damaged part of the finish?

Last edited by SEHunter; November 29, 2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old November 27, 2019, 10:44 PM   #2
mehavey

You might look at this possibility (test first)
http://mossbergowners.com/forum/inde...-w-pics.11546/
Old November 28, 2019, 08:30 AM   #3
SEHunter

Thanks for the link. Definitely will give this a try. Thanks
Old November 28, 2019, 10:00 AM   #4
SEHunter

I’ve tried to research the finish on the receiver but haven’t been able to find exactly what it is. Gun is an Arsenal sam7r bought new in October this year. It may be some type of paint. If so, I'm guessing the product noted above isn’t for this application, it seems to be designed for use on clean aluminum. If anyone is familiar with the finish on the Arsenal receiver, I’d appreciate the info.
Old November 28, 2019, 01:30 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I have no idea what they used on your AKM but generally the process used on aluminum is anodizing, which is a kind of electroplating process, and completely different from the bluing used on steel which is a controlled rust process.
Old November 28, 2019, 01:59 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Anodizing uses a sulfuric acid solution and a direct electric current to build up a hard aluminum oxide layer on the aluminum surface that is transparent and porous. The part is then put in a dye that is absorbed into the pores to provide whatever color is desired, and then it is sealed. It sounds like the solvent got past the sealant and dissolved some of the dye. That can happen if the dichromate sealing method was used. I don't know if this can be repaired short of complete refinishing. In theory, the old finish can be removed in a sulfuric acid solution by reversing the current flow. Once gone, the part can be bead-blasted and refinished, including being dyed and sealed anew, but I've not tried it. I would consult the manufacturer.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 28, 2019, 02:09 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

Show us a good picture of the area. Anodizing vs paint is easy to spot.
Old November 28, 2019, 06:58 PM   #8
SEHunter

I think Unclenick hit the nail on the head. The liquid ran off purple. If i rub an inconspicuous spot on the receiver with rubbing alcohol, a faint purple color appears on the white paper towel.

Bill D, Im trying to upload a picture but unfortunately at the moment the download keeps failing. Ill try again shortly.
Old November 28, 2019, 08:58 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

A lot of foreign military rifles are painted with a black paint that when it contacts a solvent it comes off purple.

You see this a lot on imported AK rifles.

I don't know what kind of paint it is, it looks black but come off with solvent as purple.
I found this out in the 60's when I dropped a part in a container of lacquer thinner to clean a surplus rifle and the thinner turned purple.

I've most recently seen this with a Bulgarian SLR-96 and a Bulgarian AK-74 built from an unfired surplus demilled rifle.
Old November 29, 2019, 07:02 AM   #10
kozak6

Arsenal AK's are famous for their fragile paint. It's not anodizing, as it's a steel receiver. Tickle it with a magnet if you'd like to check.

Head over to akfiles.com to ask about it. It's possible to buy expensive Russian-spec paint, and there's various appliance paints that match up fairly well.
Old November 29, 2019, 07:55 AM   #11
SEHunter

You’re right, im not sure why I assumed it was aluminum. The milled receiver is definitely a magnetic metal, just checked.
Old November 29, 2019, 08:08 AM   #12
SEHunter

I cant get the picture to load. I think I understand my options now. I’ll either just get over it or take to get cerakote or something. I browsed on akfiles.com and it’s common. Its nearly baffling to me why any modern firearm maker in any country would use such a fragile finish. Surely there’s something as cheap that is better.

Thanks to all who contributed here. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old December 1, 2019, 02:20 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...a product I could use..." Birchwood Casey makes Aluminium Black. Comes in a bottle(3 ounces for $12.99) that's used just like cold bluing. Or a pen($7.99) that's used just like a Sharpie.
Of course, regular cold bluing will fix ferrous metal finishes.
Old December 1, 2019, 05:42 PM   #14
SEHunter

Appreciate the lead. Unfortunately I’ve found this receiver is not aluminum and the bulgarian mfg uses a 2 step coating. They apply some form of blue or park to the milled receiver, then its painted with some type of super cheap paint that is sensitive to most all chemicals and solvents besides mild gun oils.
Old December 3, 2019, 11:39 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

Zinc Parkerizing is porous and makes a great adhesion base for paints. You can get the old finish off with Iosso's bluing and phosphate finish remover, but then you want to re-Park and paint again with something more durable that will match the old color. This YouTube video may help you make a choice.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 4, 2019, 05:53 AM   #16
SEHunter

Thanks for that link! May be the route i go