The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 2, 2016, 11:04 AM   #1
davem

Mossberg 500 Barrel

Someone said having a forcing cone extended improves patterns but you cannot do it with a chrome lined barrel. Does the standard Mossberg 500 pump action shotgun have a chrome lined barrel? Has anyone done this forcing cone extension and if so- how did it work?
Old June 2, 2016, 11:51 AM   #2
FITASC

How does the barrel pattern now with the ammo you use?

Choke determines pattern
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 2, 2016, 12:05 PM   #3
Virginian

A lengthened forcing cone can - can - improve (put more pellets in the circle) patterns maybe in the 1 to 3% range max. Unless you are pushing the absolute maximum range limit, just change the choke.
Old June 2, 2016, 12:26 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Don't believe an M500 has a chromed barrel. Mossbergs does chrome their O/U's, but there's no mention of it for the 500 on their site. That'd be a big time marketing thing if they did.
A lengthened forcing cone might affect the pattern. Reducing felt recoil is daft though. If there is any reduction physics would not allow the shooter to feel it. Lots of arguing on-line about it. Hawks says there's no proof. Other guys say otherwise. One guy says the finish on an extended forcing cone is more important than the extension.
Old June 2, 2016, 01:09 PM   #5
Blindstitch

Which barrel length and choke are you using? And what kind of range are you intending to use it at. With the turkey choke in mine with 28 inch barrel I only get 15 inches of spread at 35 yards. This is a late 90's 500.
Old June 2, 2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Slopemeno

A quick way to find out is to put a dab of cold blue on the interior of the barrel. I doubt the M-500 has a chrome lined bore. The usual warning apply- clear the gun and remove the barrel, clean the barrel, then apply the cold blue to the interior of the barrel.

For what it's worth I wouldn't put any money toward an extended forcing cone- we used to offer that and most hunters couldn't tell the difference.
Old June 3, 2016, 09:59 AM   #7
davem

I read that buckshot is stacked in layers and as the wad moves forward into the bore a lengthen forcing cone can improve the pattern- I was looking for feed back on anyone that did this.
Old June 3, 2016, 12:41 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Buckshot is usually loaded in just a wad. Buckshot is useless past about 35 or so yards depending on the choke. Typical chokes used with buck is none or IC. Any pattern improvement from just a lengthen forcing cone would be imperceptible.