The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 30, 2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Dreaming100Straight

New Trap Gun

Well its at least new for shooting trap. My son asked me about an old gun I had dragged out while looking for some Xmas ornaments. A 12 gauge single shot H&R Model 1905. The bead is long gone, it has a bad crack running through the stock from the trigger assembly to the end of the small, and the firing pin has to be pushed back into the breech face, although it is supposed to be retracted by a spring.

I figure that is a perfect trap gun. After all, the hot shots are all shooting single barrel and while its length may not be perfect, it is a 32 incher. To try and keep the crack from growing, I might wrap the small with wet leather.

I can't shoot trap worth beans, but once in a while I have a somewhat decent day and it will blow the guys away if I can score with this POS.

Jethrow Clampet move over. Heeyaw!
Old December 30, 2014, 06:17 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

More than often a guy shows up at the trap fields with a old well worn shotgun and cleans house with it.

It still holds true "Beware of the shooter with one gun."
Old December 30, 2014, 07:15 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

That is not me, but I might have some fun with it. So far I got the receiver stripped out, but while I have a clean shot at a firing pin retaining screw it won't budge. The cheap hollow ground screwdriver tip I have bent without budging the screw. My choice is to drill it and use an eZ out, get a better screw tip, or leave it. After soaking the firing pin with solvents, I got it freed up so the pin slides back and forth pretty well. I think I will let well enough be, after blasting it out with compressed air and hitting everything with some rem-oil.

I think I had just be careful to check that the pin retracts with the opening of the breech.
Old December 30, 2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Magnum Mike

Dont sound like fun shooting to me! Every H&R I've ever shot has been brutal.
Old December 30, 2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

I hadn't thought of that, Mike. Hard plastic butt plate and no pad. Still, I will give it a try, but will load some softballs in hopes of taking some pain away.
Old December 30, 2014, 08:20 PM   #6
jaguarxk120

Try some PB Blaster on the pin screw, keep it soaked over night then try turning the screw gently both directions. That should free it up.
Old December 30, 2014, 08:24 PM   #7
Blindstitch

Seems like something you could have fun with. Or I could. As a project I might have someone cut a vent rib trap gun style for it and weld/screw it in place. Mise well make it fit the part if just for fun.
Old December 30, 2014, 11:02 PM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

I tried some PB Blaster, but it can't hurt to let it soak overnight.
Old December 31, 2014, 11:46 AM   #9
darkgael

Trap

About the H&R .....the problem with this gun is weight. I may look a bit like a Trap gun but it is not. A BT-99 weighs about nine pounds. That H&R will weigh about seven. It is a lot tougher on the shoulder.
And...
Quote:
More than often a guy shows up at the trap fields with a old well worn shotgun and cleans house with it.
I do not know where you shoot Trap but.....I have yet to see that happen.
Pete
Old December 31, 2014, 01:02 PM   #10
jaguarxk120

Pete, it does happen, but that older well worn shotgun is the only gun the owns and shoots, he will shoot very well.
Old December 31, 2014, 01:22 PM   #11
Dreaming100Straight

Just a fun project and a joke to pull on some shooting pals. Step Grand Ma used this to put meet on the table for herself and the kids she raised as a single parent back in Colorado during the depression. Otherwise I would have dumped it as it is in such poor condition.
Old December 31, 2014, 04:36 PM   #12
darkgael

Sure,

Jaguar:
Quote:
Pete, it does happen, but that older well worn shotgun is the only gun the owns and shoots, he will shoot very well.
Maybe. Maybe not
I agree that such a scenario can and does happen. I disagree that it happens often. It is generous to equate long use with expertise. A shooter may have an old and well used shotgun and still not shoot very well. I have met many more of the latter type than the former.
Pete
Old December 31, 2014, 05:52 PM   #13
Dreaming100Straight

I think Zippy13 indicated long ago that repeating the same mistakes over and over simply embeds problems into muscle memory. Hence, longevity of shooting does not guarantee expertise.
Old January 1, 2015, 06:07 AM   #14
eastbank

i own and shoot many shoot guns and i like to take some of the old ones to shoot trap(i own regular trap shotguns) with. one of them is a remington model 1900 made in 1906 with 32" barrels choked full&full and i did shoot a 25-25 at trap with it, but it took a while and the gun has a lot of drop, so i had to hold my head up the get the right POI for trap and it kicked the bejesus out of me. but i was grinnin like a possem eating poop the day i did it. eastbank.
Old January 1, 2015, 10:49 PM   #15
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
After all, the hot shots are all shooting single barrel...
Except for doubles...single barrel shotguns don't work for that or many other clay sports.
Quote:

It still holds true "Beware of the shooter with one gun."
Well...here we go off the mainline and onto the fantasy siding.

Tell you what, send your guy with the old shotgun to my local trap club and I'll introduce the "shooter" to several of the members who have shot 200 on more than one occasion.

Then we'll see what the guy with the "old well worn shotgun" can really do under pressure against guys who really can shoot trap.
Old January 3, 2015, 09:33 PM   #16
zippy13

Quote:
Yep, but that old gun is more likely to be a model-12 pigeon grade than a H&R barn gun.
Old January 3, 2015, 09:47 PM   #17
FITASC

And when you ask them where they stand in relation to everyone else, they have no answer
Old January 4, 2015, 07:04 AM   #18
eastbank

there are naturals who can shoot well with any shotgun, but i found out that most new shooters get to a certain level and seem to get stuck there. after that its the right equipment and training and ++ pratice to get to a higher level of compition. i have let a new shooter use my BT-100 or my trap citori and with a little coaxing on stance,follow thru and head down they seem to go from 12-14 to 18-20 in a short time. at the clubs i shoot at they try real hard to make it a enjoyable expeanence, after all its about having a good time with friends to me. eastbank.
Old January 4, 2015, 09:25 AM   #19
BigJimP

an " H&R barn gun"......Zippy.....??

Come on man, we both know that description is too generous for this old ugly thing he's trying to rejuvenate...
Old January 4, 2015, 01:30 PM   #20
Dreaming100Straight

And you say you have feelings. Anyway, I have lost interest in messing with it as I eagerly await my new toy; the MEC 9000. It is back to the wallhanger pile. I won't even put this on a wall, but it has family history.
Old January 4, 2015, 10:04 PM   #21
zippy13

And, I have a toilet plunger that has family history.
Old January 5, 2015, 12:41 PM   #22
BigJimP

I know where there is a nice Winchester model 42 ( pump gun in .410 )....Pigeon Grade...and I think it has a 28" barrel...and probably a Mod or Ic choke ..not sure.../ but seller has it on consignment in a local shop for $5K....

It could work for a Trap gun...
Old January 6, 2015, 09:03 PM   #23
FITASC

BigJim - at the local club where I shoot, there is a small but growing sub group of shooters who show up on Tuesday with their 42's.

Several shoot FITASC practice with them and do quite well considering the payload size. I do not own a 410 of any make, but I must admit those 42s do seem to have a certain panache unto themselves. They tend to add some allure when you score and give you a good excuse when you miss!
Old January 9, 2015, 01:09 PM   #24
BigJimP

I like the excuse part myself....

I have a .410 in an Over Under....30" barrels, XS Skeet model Browning Citori, built by Browning on their 20ga receiver...its a great gun / but I have some mental issues shooting a .410 ...and its hard to get past them, for me at least....
Old January 9, 2015, 10:21 PM   #25
zippy13

Jim...

Back in the day (before O/Us became so popular), Winchester's M-42 was the gun for .410 events. There are still a lot of high grade 42s out there.

Yes, the little gun can be very intimidating and really mess up your head before you fire your first shot.