The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 17, 2011, 04:27 PM   #1
dayman

Kimber grip safety.

I would like to change the grip safety on my kimber over to one with "memory grooves". I"m not looking to make any major alterations to the frame, and so I was thinking I"d go with the one made by kimber. My question is how difficult that would be to do on my own. Is it going to be a drop in part, or something I should let a professional handle?
Old May 19, 2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Clemson

You must be able to disassemble and reassemble the pistol. Fitting is minimal, but you have to file the "tab" on the grip safety until the trigger will clear it when the safety is depressed. While you are at it, you might consider replacing that abominable plastic mainspring housing that Kimber feels obligated to use.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old May 19, 2011, 01:23 PM   #3
GURU1911

Choice of grip safety

When considering the purchase of a new grip safety, to install on a 1911 frame, i have had great success using the ed brown "memory groove" grip safety.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 19, 2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Clemson

The Ed Brown safeties are excellent. I use them in guns that I build, but... the Kimber would require a frame modification to use one.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old May 20, 2011, 04:56 AM   #5
dayman

I changed the msh to an Ed Brown in "snakeskin" as soon as I bought the gun, so I'm all set there. MIM doesn't really bother me, but I"m not a big fan of plastic on a 1911.
I was going to ceramicoat the frame anyway, so I'll have it disassembled soon enough. I also did replace the trigger, but I can't remember if I had to take the grip safety off for that. I kind of think so, but it was a while ago.
It was the filing I was worried about, but I guess the part is only like $40 anyway, so even if I do screw it up it won't be a huge loss.
I am also a big fan of Ed Brown parts, but I'm nowhere near competent enough to try to modify my frame. I also don't want to put a huge amount of money into this gun as I"m trying to save to buy a full Ed Brown gun. I just want to do enough to this one to make it stand out from the other million kimbers out there.
I have a pretty decent file set, but should I get anything special?