The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 4, 2008, 07:14 PM   #26
Wildalaska

Quote:
I'm just curious, to the guys who advise agaisn't the wolf ammo, have you tried it?
Naw, I just bad mouth it 'cuz thats my way. What do I know

WildjustdisregardeverythingisayAlaska ™
Old December 4, 2008, 07:47 PM   #27
Walther22lr

I have used Wolf ammo in my AR for many years. No problems at all. I will continue to use it too.
Old December 4, 2008, 08:11 PM   #28
Moerlein

I started this!

well i started it so heres my results!

i bought 1000 rounds of 62 gr wolf (blackbox stuff) from ammoman.com was delivered within a week, was ordered late tuesday night, they are closed wed. and then with thanksgiving and all, i thought it was pretty fast shipping.

so anyways, to the results. i shot 80 rds today, pretty fast firing. no breaks inbetween. there were NO shortstroking, hard extractions or anything. NO problems at all for me. so i was very pleased.

20 of the 80 rounds were 55 gr military classic wolf. they worked fine as well.

accuracy was a little off, but maybe it was just me or i might not have my scope sighted right, idk. its a 552 eotech, and i was shooting probably 60-70 yards.

so IMO for the average backyard/plinking shooter that will not reload cases and just wants to have fun wolf works great! i paid $279 for 1000 rounds and the cheapest brass was $330-$350. so if a part breaks or something, the way im thinking is i have $50-$70 dollars to fix it. and thats if it breaks on the first case, if it lasts longer im saving even more.

so i loved it, and i will definitley buy more. i have a RRA ar-15

oh, and people talk about lacquer coating, it's now a "polymer" coating, not sure if its a big difference or what. but i didnt have any problems with it.
Old December 5, 2008, 07:07 PM   #29
FireForged

wikipedia has a nice write up on wolf ammo.. be sure to read the paragraph on potential problems.

Yes I have tried it and yes I had problems. We all know how firearms can almost choose the ammo you feed them. If you use wolf and like it, I am glad.
Old December 6, 2008, 08:37 AM   #30
Sam06

I don't like Wolf Ammo and here is why:

1. Its made in Russia
2. The money made on the ammo goes to Russia
3. The case is steel, Steel case going into steel chamber= Rapid wear
4. "Oh they coat it with Lacquer" If Lacqure was fire/heat proof Firemen would paint themselves with it. The Lacqure burns off in a hot chamber and coats the chamber or goes into the gas system on an AR. They can call it whatever they want the bottomline is its coated with a meterial that burns off in a hot chamber.
5. I have shot some over a Chronograph through a H&R Handi rifle to see how consistent it was, It was not! Can you believe 100FPS spreads?
6. Did I say you are giving Money to a country that would like to see the US destroyed
7. Ken is correct. I would not shoot that STUFF in anything but a handi rifle and even then I borrowed the gun

If you want cheap ammo, Reload. Get a Dillon and you will have 500 rds in about 2 hours and thats if you are taking your time.
Old December 6, 2008, 09:26 AM   #31
skydiver3346

Get cheaper Federal .223

Wolf? no way when you can purchase the cheaper version of Federal .223 on sale now at Sportsman Warehouse. You want a quality ammo no matter if you are at the range or have to use it someday to defends yourself or family. That is just my opinion. Ammo is not something to have to worry about or wonder if you chose the right brand, etc. Spend a little more and have piece of mind would be my choice.
Old December 18, 2008, 02:01 PM   #32
atrain0311

Wolf

I have shot hundreds of rounds of Wolf Ammo without any problems. I clean my rifle after every 200 rds. I see nothing wrong with having a few thousands of rounds in stock in case of a rainy apocolypse. I'd rather have 2000 rds of wolf than 500 rds of Federal...
Old December 19, 2008, 01:29 AM   #33
yosemitesamaz

if im only going to put around 100 t0 200 hundred rounds and have time to clean my ar i use wolf with no problem. i use wolf for alot of my guns and rifles. but if you just want cheap ammo for plinking they have 100 rnd 223 in brass case by federal at walmart for 40 bucks . i shoot wolf and yest its a dirty round!!! but still shoots fair! and a good price. but i still stock up on rangers when i get the chance. i still havent tried lake city ammo. any one try that? let me know what you think.
Old December 19, 2008, 01:32 AM   #34
yosemitesamaz

oh yeah you can now get wolf ammo without the lacquer. we just shot of about 1000 rounds yesterday through 2 sks's and a ak. the shoot the same but still dirty.
Old December 19, 2008, 02:00 AM   #35
Jermtheory

I dont feed my guns junk.

...and no i havent used it(at least not in my own guns)...

Because i dont feed my guns junk.

Although,i am a notorious snob because i dont like to skimp on things that go boom right in front of my face(or anything that gos in/on them).

I'll suck it up and by surplus M193 for my plinking.
Old December 19, 2008, 02:04 PM   #36
NineInchNails

I have 1,000s of rnds of Wolf. I've fired 1,000s of Wolf.

The only problem I can recall happening is a case stuck in the chamber that couldn't extract. The truth be told, I had never cleaned the chamber&bore on that weapon before that instance. I learned a valuable lesson that day. It took a rod to pop that case out. KEEP your weapon clean.

I wouldn't want to stand down range of someone firing Wolf any more than someone firing any other ammo. I know there are differences in the ammo, but if you're stocking up ... get what you can as soon as you can. Better ammo would be ... ideal sure.

One thing I was told with regarding a SHTF scenario:
If you have to fire 1,000 rnds to defend yourself ... and if you are successful; don't you think that you'll have at least something to show for it (other than your life)? Bound to be able to pick up at least 1 weapon, some ammo, a decent optic, etc...
Old December 21, 2008, 07:29 PM   #37
marine0341

wolf

wolf is garbage! A round got stuck in my m-4 upper and had to dissassemble the whole thing to get it out.
Now Only shoot surpluss brass and reload more accurate ammo.
Old December 21, 2008, 07:52 PM   #38
DonR101395

Quote:
wolf is garbage! A round got stuck in my m-4 upper and had to dissassemble the whole thing to get it out.
Now Only shoot surpluss brass and reload more accurate ammo.

What brand upper? Most of the commercial 1/9 barrels tend to be on the tight side of chamber dimensions.
Old December 21, 2008, 11:48 PM   #39
imp

gustav129 wrote:
Quote:
I've put 100's of rounds of Wolf (Black Box, 122gr) through my SKS. On other SKS specific forums, I have heard a couple stories involving broken firing pins, punctured primers, and so forth, but only the Wolf Military Classic was involved.

Also, I have had a problem with Winchester 7.62x39mm through my SKS. What that comes down to, American made 7.62 is slightly different. 7.62 NATO is closer to .308 than 7.62x39, so you use american made stuff in american made rifles, like the Ruger Mini-30.

As for the differences between .223 and 5.56 NATO, I'm not sure.

Just throwing out, the idea, of using american made ammo for an american made firearm.
7.62x51 is alot different than 7.62x39. Please don't try to use .308 in a mini-14...it would be all bad.

Also, for some of you shooting 5.56mm wolf...if your rifle is chambered for .223 only, you could be having some of your difficulties there also. The standard 5.56mm is ever so slightly longer, and loaded to a slightly higher pressure. From what i understand, it will fire, but can cause problems.
Old December 22, 2008, 10:37 AM   #40
RockyMtnTactical

If you want to shoot cheap steel cased ammo, go with bear. Wolf sucks.
Old December 22, 2008, 11:02 AM   #41
NineInchNails

Quote:
RockyMtnTactical:
If you want to shoot cheap steel cased ammo, go with bear. Wolf sucks.
Is Bear ammo more consistent or accurate?
Old December 22, 2008, 04:07 PM   #42
Te Anau

Quote:
Keep money on hand for spare parts if you decide to use it.
If you're using an AR that is.

Last edited by Te Anau; December 24, 2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Grammar correction
Old December 23, 2008, 11:47 PM   #43
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

RELOAD, RELOAD, RELOAD!! You guys are talking about shooting thousands of rounds....If you have the time, then reload. The equipment start-up cost can be high, but over the course of thousands of rounds, it pays for itself. I reload for my RR AR-15 because 1.) I have the time 2.) It is cheaper 3.) I control the quality of the ammunition running through my rifle....not some communist dingleberry half-juiced on cheap vodka. This is of course my own opinion.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old December 24, 2008, 12:07 AM   #44
Huey Long

Ignore the ammo snobs. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Wolf for casual plinking. It's practically all I feed my FAL, and I've never had a single problem. The only complaint I have is that It's pretty dirty, but that's what cleaning kits are for.

Last edited by Huey Long; December 24, 2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:23 AM   #45
Huey Long

3. The case is steel, Steel case going into steel chamber= Rapid wear

There are many different grades of steel and ammunition components are made of much softer steels that the steel of your rifle for rather obvious reasons. Also, Wolf cases are given a thin coating of lacquer or polymer so that there's no direct steel-to-steel contact with the chamber anyway.

The military did a study on steel jackets in WWII and found that they didn't wear out barrels any faster than copper ones. When you consider the fact that a steel jacket is rubbing against your bore hundreds of feet per second faster than a steel case is rubbing against your chamber, it becomes quite obvious that steel cases are not going to bother your chamber.

The bottom line is that steel ammunition components are not any harder on guns than copper or brass ones. It's an urban legend.
Old December 24, 2008, 01:45 PM   #46
Wildalaska

Quote:
Ignore the ammo snobs.
I see the ammowoobie is kicking in

WildwolfiscrapcrapcrapAlaska ™
Old December 25, 2008, 04:21 AM   #47
marine0341

I am shooting a bushmaster upper
Old December 28, 2008, 04:51 AM   #48
BuckHammer

I shoot nothing but wolf 7.62x39 out of my AK and love it. It is the cheapest available, but that's all I'm looking for in AK ammo. Don't expect accuracy with wolf ammo. My AK does alright with it, but does much better with different ammo. Almost like clockwork, one out of every three rounds is way off (6-10 inches off at 100). My friends and I joke about every third round, calling it the "wolf flier". I have no experience with wolf ammo outside of AKs, so I can't really recommend it for anything else. However, I do recommend it for AKs for very cheap plinking fun.
Old December 28, 2008, 06:55 AM   #49
lon371

From my understanding the biggest difference in the .223 and the 5.56, is the case wall thickness. Outside diameter is nearly the same, but inside is not. There fore when you fire the 5.56 in a .223 you have the stuck case.

Here is a few links that may help you.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?action=search2

Also this is from another reloading forum
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is some more for what its worth info .

5.56 mm NATO versus .223 Remington
While the 5.56 mm and .223 cartridges are very similar, they are not identical. Military cases are made from thicker brass than commercial cases, which reduces the powder capacity (an important consideration for handloaders), and the NATO specification allows a higher chamber pressure. The 5.56 mm chambering, known as a NATO or mil-spec chambers, have a longer leade, which is the distance between the mouth of the cartridge and the point at which the rifling engages the bullet. The .223 chambering, known as SAAMI chamber, is allowed to have a shorter leade, and is only required to be proof tested to the lower SAAMI chamber pressure. To address these issues, various proprietary chambers exist, such as the Wylde chamber (Rock River Arms)[1] or the Armalite chamber, which are designed to handle both 5.56 mm and .223 equally well.

Using commercial .223 cartridges in a 5.56-chambered rifle should work reliably, but generally will not be as accurate as when fired from a .223-chambered gun due to the excessive lead.[2] Using 5.56 mil-spec cartridges (such as the M855) in a .223-chambered rifle can lead to excessive wear and stress on the rifle and even be unsafe, and the SAAMI recommends against the practice.[3] Some commercial rifles marked as ".223 Remington" are in fact suited for 5.56 mm, such as many commercial AR-15 variants and the Ruger Mini-14, but the manufacturer should always be consulted to verify that this is acceptable before attempting it, and signs of excessive pressure (such as flattening or gas staining of the primers) should be looked for in the initial testing with 5.56 mm ammunition.[4]
Good luck
Lonny
Old December 28, 2008, 11:37 AM   #50
Tatsumi67

Solider of Fortune ran an article about 8 year ago, they put 10,00 Wolf .223s through a high end AR15, with not one misfire or jam.

I'd trust'em
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.