The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 8, 2002, 02:06 AM   #1
HKguy9

Rigger Belts--Why?

What benefits do rigger type belts have? I see some of my tactical buddies wear Wilderness type belts (along w/ the RR 5.11 pants, Surefire and other tactical carry items).

What's the benefit of the belt over a rigid leather belt? Cost? Cheap alternative to expensive leather belt for dirty work? One size fits all? Never worn one, just wondering if I should get one
Old October 8, 2002, 02:38 AM   #2
Navy joe

Looks tactical.

Screams gun.

If they could tone it down it would be a nice belt.
Old October 8, 2002, 06:52 AM   #3
Billy Sparks

I have the problem of no butt or hips therefore to keep my pants
up I prefer a tight belt. This problem is worse when wearing a pistol. I like the Wilderness belts because they can be tightned up. The other reason is that during the summer (or any time the temp is about 70) I sweat like crazy. I have ruined several good leather belts. All of this said with khakis or dress slacks I wear a leather belt, with jeans a Rigger/Wilderness belt.
Old October 8, 2002, 08:39 AM   #4
Rosco Benson

While I agree that the Wilderness Instructor belt is not the most low-profile belt available, it works well for those times when one doesn't need a low profile. The main advantage it offers over a comparably rigid leather belt is that it offers very precise sizing adjustments compared to the leather belts punched-hole arrangment.

Rosco
Old October 8, 2002, 09:03 AM   #5
rennaissancemann

I made the switch from leather to nylon because I could wear the same belt for both my BDU's and my jeans. Another reason is a bit intangible, I found that I preferred the "cinching" up action of a rigger belt to the "notching" up action of a leather one. Nothing scientific or analytical, just old fashioned personal preference.

Regards

"The most difficult thing about planning against the Americans, is that they do not read their own doctrine, and they would feel no particular obligtion to follow it if they did." - Admiral Sergei I. Gorshkov

"We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn in this life that we tend to meet any situation by reorganizing. And a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization." - Attributed to Petronius Arbiter, circa 60 A.D
Old October 8, 2002, 12:24 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

¿ No waist, no hips ?

Good suspenders.
Take the load off even when wearin a good belt.
Allow you to NOT have to cinch up tight which helps in hot weather.

Just a thought.

Sam
Old October 8, 2002, 01:51 PM   #7
Foxy

I have one of the BlackHawk Rigger's belt's.. it's nice and stiff and I like to be able to cinch it down nice and tight.

My question is.. if you wear a holster on your belt (say, a Bianchi Accumold..) how the heck do you fasten the bitter end down if the holster is in the way? Am I doing it wrong?
Old October 9, 2002, 06:58 AM   #8
TheActor

Just finished a 8 hour rigging job... My SOE does look cool.
Old October 9, 2002, 04:30 PM   #9
Sastrugi

Have both their CSM & 5-Stitch.........Hated them at 1st. but have come to appreciate them for what they are.
Along with most of the prev. mentioned pluses, the speed of & micro adjustment make them worthwhile for on the street and IDPA. Back problems force wearing any belt fairly loose in a car or while waiting to shoot at a match. It's almost a one-handed adj, to tighten it up when it's your time to shoot a stage.
On the other hand they really need to offer an aluminum non-tactical appearing buckle, w/o the 'biner loop, to shed some of the weight. Most aren't likely to be rapping off a roof to smash thru a window 10 stories up with their MP-5, I'd guess?
Old October 9, 2002, 05:31 PM   #10
blades67

I prefer my Wilderness "Instructor" belts because they are lighter, more comfortable and more versatile than leather belts. The only people that think a Wilderness "Instructor" belt screams gun tend to be the tactical wannabe type.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old October 9, 2002, 09:03 PM   #11
Arnistador

As mentioned earlier, the Wilderness rigger's belt has the advantage of being strong, adjustable, rigid, comfortable and durable. The nylon webbing lasts a long time and can support the weight of a gun, magazines and other accessories. You can tone down the belt by ordering a 1 1/2" belt and holsters to match.

A good stiff leather gun belt can do the same, but will cost you more. Leather is also not quite as durable, though it is a more attractive and subtle option for concealed carry. For everyday use, I wear a Wilderness belt with a Kydex rig. For more formal occasions, such as court, I have a nice dress gun belt with a leather rig.

Sastrugi, Wilderness has a double ring belt that will allow you to forego the big D-ring.

Some of us who wear 5.11s and riggers belt actually do carry a gun for a living...
Old October 10, 2002, 07:11 AM   #12
Sastrugi

"...Wilderness has a double ring belt that will allow you to forego the big D-ring."

Had one of those, didn't work well at all. Only 1 1/4" & if worn tight the too large rings {for width of belt} are quite uncomfortable against the gut.
Old October 10, 2002, 12:13 PM   #13
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Started wearing Riggers Belts back in the Corps (good thing our Camo Tops are so long or I would have been in trouble at some of the units I served with)... MUCH better than that POS web belt they hand out in Boot Camp.

They are...

Wider - Distributes weight better.

Stiffer - Things hanging off of it don't flop.

Stronger - Hook a couple together and pull a hummer.

Nylon - Drys faster (then either leather or web belt)

Now, having left the Corps the only time I wear a Rigger belt is when at work or at the range working with my long guns and/or transition drills (I look sooooo tactical AR, Beretta, and 1911 on drop rig in my Rigger Belt, RR 5.11, Old Green USMC Shirt, and Danners! ). If I'm working with only my Handgun I wear my concealed rig (Rosen ARG & Belt) so I can practice my presentations from concealment.

When not at work or range I wear my concealment gear.

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old October 10, 2002, 01:14 PM   #14
Nanaimo Barr

so how about a pic or link so the rest of us can figure out what a riggers belt is?
Old October 10, 2002, 01:21 PM   #15
Archer1440

Foxy,

A PROPERLY FITTED Wildeness belt will NOT have the same problem you are having with your more generically sized Blackhawk belt. They are fitted to the inch, so the bitter end always finishes in the right spot. In addition, the Wilderness stiched belts are far more rigid and suitable for range holsters than the Blackhawk offering (which is still a decent belt for the price).

And a link...

http://www.thewilderness.com/Pages/belts.html
Old October 10, 2002, 07:22 PM   #16
KSFreeman

I prefer leather. It really upsets the vegans in skul!
Old October 10, 2002, 09:04 PM   #17
RKCheung

I'm a pretty skinny guy and most belts dig into my hipbones which really hurts after awhile. Riggers belts can be adjusted just right and they don't hurt. Good for those long humps.
Old October 11, 2002, 05:22 PM   #18
Nanaimo Barr

are these for CCW or range work? cause if there for CCW they scream "GUN!!"
Old October 11, 2002, 10:10 PM   #19
eggroll

it seems like....

the thrust of this topic has gone off subject.

Heres how I see it.
rigger belts are good for holding your pants up but while in the process they also work well for securing any belted items including drop-subloads.

Whether you use SOE, wilderness or Blackchicken - they all work the same concept - however the level of construction may vary - this is almost definite with BHI products, I cannot speak for wilderness, but I can speak for SOE, and it is the end-all for ME.

now to use a rigger belt for a CCW role is WAY overkill, a galco leather belt 1 1/2" would be good for this role - I dont know of many who use a rigger belt for this purpose.

but then again a belted holster for CCW purpose would NOT be my first choice of placement.

EGG
Old October 12, 2002, 02:47 AM   #20
STLRN

Wear one in uniform, Wilderness Inst Belt. And often wear them in civilian clothes even without a pistol on