The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 18, 2019, 06:28 AM   #1
OhioGuy

Anyone seen a 15 round aftermarket mag for Glock 48?

I mean, actually SEEN one, or maybe own one?

I saw the announcement and the video back in the spring. The status has gone from "preorder" to "out of stock" so I guess they must actually be shipping now.

I like the idea. I like the capacity. The 48 fits me better than the P365, and I haven't seen a Hellcat yet.

Just wondering if anyone has actually used one of these mags, and whether they're reliable.
Old December 18, 2019, 06:59 AM   #2
Brit

Had a friend send me a video of the Shield 15 round, all-steel magazine, for the 43X and of course the G48. They shot 250 rounds, dropped the mag. a few times on the indoor range concrete floor slid it a few times down the range. Not a very fancy test. But it did not crap out once. No failures to fire. Or eject, or lock back. Looked good as well.

Voiced a concern on the longevity of the plastic magazine release. With a steel magazine.
Old December 18, 2019, 07:09 AM   #3
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
Had a friend send me a video of the Shield 15 round, all-steel magazine, for the 43X and of course the G48. They shot 250 rounds, dropped the mag. a few times on the indoor range concrete floor slid it a few times down the range. Not a very fancy test. But it did not crap out once. No failures to fire. Or eject, or lock back. Looked good as well.

Voiced a concern on the longevity of the plastic magazine release. With a steel magazine.
It either comes with or you can get from the company a steel magazine release.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old December 18, 2019, 08:53 PM   #4
Nanuk

Carry a bigger Glock.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 18, 2019, 08:55 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
Carry a bigger Glock.
Or carry with these magazines. Choices.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old December 18, 2019, 09:09 PM   #6
American Man

Been waiting on Shield to get their first batch of 15 rounders for a very very very long time.
Old December 18, 2019, 10:08 PM   #7
Siggy-06

I saw one but it had weird markings on it, read "G19."
Old December 18, 2019, 10:23 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Interesting. These would also fit the G43X which is a pretty compact gun--just a hair larger (maybe 0.25" longer in the grip) than the Kahr P9 and about the same thickness. The P9 holds 8 (7+1) rounds.

The 43X/P9 is about as small as I will go in 9mm. The grip size is sufficient for a solid hold on the gun. You don't feel like you're shooting a tiny gun even though it is quite compact.
Old December 19, 2019, 04:19 PM   #9
Brit

The main reason to carry a pistol every day. Is JUST IN CASE.

We can not ever know when we will need to deploy the pistol we carry every day. But where you live, where you travel, how we travel? These are factors we can examine, and as I am long retired, possibly modify.

We came to Florida for a 6-month stay with my Son. In 2004. And stayed, going the legal way, having my Son sponsor me, and I, in turn, sponsoring my Wife. Now at this time, of 26 years.

Two years ago, whilst I was reading my library book. Parked outside the local Publix Grocery store. And having my Wife shop (I do not like grocery shopping!)
I received a concerned Cell phone call "I am being stalked by two Hood Rats,
where ever I go, one of them is close, no cart or basket with either one"

I arranged to be under the overhang, my Security Marked Jeep parked, me leaning against the rear. So when she came out, she would walk by me. I would be a blocker, as in an ambush. When I was seen, holding their pants up, they departed, across the parking lot (No vehicle!) I saw no sign of any weapons. At that time I was carrying a Glock Gen 4 Glock 19. I had shot lots of rounds, in IDPA sports competition. Carried working for my Sons Security Company in uniform.

That was a real threat. Looking back on the incident. Assessing the reality, if weapons would have been produced, my Wife would have been out of the line of fire, and behind the young men, a curved wall as a backstop. Range 7M.

As a volunteer with the Orange County Sheriffs Dept, I somewhat understand how the responding Officers would react, had they received from dispatch those details? Plus response time with the road coverage in that area most likely would have been 15 minutes! A guestimate.

As it was, no problem. Yes, I shop with the Lady Now!
Old December 19, 2019, 05:23 PM   #10
jonnyc

I have one of the Shield +4 bases that I use on a spare for my 43X. Thinking about the 15 rounder, but I kind of want to keep the original mag catch in place.....apparently a No-No with the all-steel 15 round mag.
Old December 20, 2019, 07:24 AM   #11
Brit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
I have one of the Shield +4 bases that I use on a spare for my 43X. Thinking about the 15 rounder, but I kind of want to keep the original mag catch in place.....apparently a No-No with the all-steel 15 round mag.
I think that using the original polymer mag release would be dependent on visible wear, observed as time goes by. If wear observed, replace with the aluminium spare available.
Old December 21, 2019, 01:25 AM   #12
greentick

Quote:
I mean, actually SEEN one, or maybe own one?
They allege they have shipped a few batches, also curious if any have been seen "in the wild."
Old December 21, 2019, 07:34 AM   #13
American Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentick View Post
They allege they have shipped a few batches, also curious if any have been seen "in the wild."
I refused to do the pre order and would just rather wait. My buddy who carries this as a back up and off duty has been waiting about 6 months or more. I did sign up for a notification and I'm not sure on the time, maybe 6-8 weeks ago, they sent an email update that all of their magazines they received had incorrect followers... so the wait started all over again from scratch. These magazines better be worth the wait. On a positive note, I save ammo when I practice with the 43X... I get tired of reloading 2 10 round magazines over and over and over... gets old quick.
Old December 21, 2019, 08:37 AM   #14
Metric

I feel sorry for Shield Arms (changing the world is a thankless job), but you can only give so many broken estimates before people begin to sense that stringing customers along is part of the business model.

That "summer 2019" pre-order is looking increasingly like it will not be complete before SHOT show 2020. At which point competition is likely.
Old December 22, 2019, 07:32 AM   #15
Brit

I agree with you Metric! By the way, I was so pleased to leave the Metric System behind in Canada! On moving to the USA.
Old January 28, 2020, 11:10 AM   #16
Metric

For the record, I got mine in the mail yesterday. I had ordered about 50 minutes after I got their email notification that the pre-order was live, back in September.

Haven't shot them yet, but they fit nicely and drop free perfectly well.
Old January 28, 2020, 05:41 PM   #17
unclenunzie

I received my shipping notice yesterday for my pre-order. I expect it to arrive in a couple days. This would be about 4 months from my order date, knowing full well that it would take time. Shield Arms has been upfront and communicative. I'd rather wait longer for a product that works than receive something disappointing, sooner.

I expect the product to work, but of course will test it before carrying. It will be nice to have a skinny G19 which is what my G48 will be
Old January 29, 2020, 06:48 AM   #18
OhioGuy

Cool, someone please shoot 1000 rounds immediately and then tell us all how it works
Old January 29, 2020, 08:50 PM   #19
greentick

Mine arrived today, with the metal mag catch. Looks great. Did not load it as I had to come into work. Drops free with ease when empty. Came with a 20% off code in recognition of the delay. I was in no rush, actually ordered it back in September and didn't get a G48 until a week ago. Actually quite timely in its arrival lol
Old February 2, 2020, 12:07 PM   #20
Metric

Ran a small test. Worked both with cheap range ammo as well as a box of underwood +p+ xtreme defenders. Ran just fine. I also installed the metal mag catch.

I have to say that I really like the finish of this mag. It does give the feeling of very high quality.

The one flaw I could find is that the witness hole for #15 is slightly misplaced -- I can see round #15 if I tilt the mag over and look hard, but if you do a normal check, you would not think the mag is full.
Old February 20, 2020, 05:28 AM   #21
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Ran a small test. Worked both with cheap range ammo as well as a box of underwood +p+ xtreme defenders. Ran just fine. I also installed the metal mag catch.

I have to say that I really like the finish of this mag. It does give the feeling of very high quality.

The one flaw I could find is that the witness hole for #15 is slightly misplaced -- I can see round #15 if I tilt the mag over and look hard, but if you do a normal check, you would not think the mag is full.
Cool, glad to hear it's working well!

Greentick, did you get to run yours yet? Any impressions so far?
Old February 20, 2020, 05:34 AM   #22
OhioGuy

I checked their website -- they're advertising 3 packs and "CCW kits" but everything is out of stock. I guess these are still pretty much "unobtainium" huh?
Old February 21, 2020, 09:18 AM   #23
USPSUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I checked their website -- they're advertising 3 packs and "CCW kits" but everything is out of stock. I guess these are still pretty much "unobtainium" huh?

You can obtain them, for $100 on Gunbroker by the guys who bought them all up and are now screwing everyone in prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old February 21, 2020, 10:50 AM   #24
unclenunzie

I ordered my set of 3 plus mag catch in September during the last days of the pre-order. I received mine a few weeks ago. With my earlier model silver-slide 48 the mags required +10% springs to gain 100% lock on empty. In earlier testing with original springs I had feed failures as well.

Once I got and installed the +10% springs I ran 11 mags of 124 grain fmj and 124 grain gold dots through the set of mags, intentionally limp writing strong and weak hand. No failures of any kind.

At the end of the session I had 2 gold dots and 2 FMJ rounds left, so I staggered them in a single mag and firing weak hand intentionally limp wristing I finally got a stovepipe and fail to feed. I intend to go back to standard, non-mixed round testing using a normal firing grip. But so far with the +10% springs its looking pretty good.
Old February 26, 2020, 05:20 PM   #25
greentick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Cool, glad to hear it's working well!

Greentick, did you get to run yours yet? Any impressions so far?
Just got back in town, haven't been able to try it out yet