The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 14, 2018, 07:09 PM   #26
GarandTd

I'm in the "I would rather buy a bigger caliber" group. I have no interest whatsoever in +P/+P+.
Old May 14, 2018, 09:09 PM   #27
Sharkbite

Quote:
If we are talking SAAMI +p,its 38,500 for +p,and 35,000 for standard. That's 10%
And that 10% more pressure does not equate to 10% more velocity in a given pistol length barrel.

You need to chrono a load thru YOUR gun and see what, if any, velocity gain you actually get. Then compare recoil between the +p and standard pressure load. If the gain makes sense.... go for it.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:13 PM   #28
RickB

Quote:
"While I'm of the opinion that 9mm "needs all the help it can get", I don't think there's enough ballistic improvement with +P to justify the additional recoil, muzzle blast, etc."

Wouldn't a bigger gun/more powerful cartridge produce more recoil and muzzle blast, too?
I tend to buy guns proportional to their power, so my 9mm is a very light, very compact pistol, and bumping the power makes the gun harder than necessary to handle.
My .45 is much bigger and heavier, and is about equal in handling qualities, and I don't want to bump the recoil and blast of that one, either.
Muzzle blast is often more acute with +P, regardless of the base cartridge; 9mm+P would be greater than non+P .45.
Old May 15, 2018, 09:57 AM   #29
TailGator

Even when a manufacturer says that +P is OK for a given model, it is often with a caveat that regular use increases wear. Like some have said, though, your money and your guns.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:35 AM   #30
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Do you recommend 9mm +p over normal pressure 9mm? If so why and if not why not?
Recomend? No, it is for the individual to decide.
Do I use +P 9MM? Yes, sometimes.
In my small 9MM Kahr CM 9 I use Speer Gold Dot +P Short Barrel. Many tests indicate it has very good penetration, and expansion from short barrel firearms. The Short Barrel version is only available in +P.
Same with the 38 Spcl. Short Barrel in my LCR.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 17, 2018, 12:06 PM   #31
Onward Allusion

9mm +p or +p+ only if you need the extra umph along with capacity. An occasional mag or three will not harm most modern semi autos.

Personally, I just carry 357 Sig under normal circumstances. Although these summer months are steering me toward a sub-compact Glock in 9mm. Maybe I'll carry +p+.
Old May 17, 2018, 01:38 PM   #32
Jim Watson

Quote:
And that 10% more pressure does not equate to 10% more velocity in a given pistol length barrel.
Assuming that the powder was well chosen for the +P, it will give approximately 10% more energy, about 5% higher velocity.

Also note that SAAMI maximum is 35000 and +P maximum is 38500.
But 35001 is also +P (assuming they could measure that close, which they can't.) This tripped up Norma in the last century when they offered ".38 Special Magnum" ammo, advertised as high velocity at standard pressures due to a superior powder.
But that was CIP and they had to relabel it as +P under SAAMI for sale here.
Old May 17, 2018, 01:48 PM   #33
ammo.crafter

9mm super

Now wasn't that a fun exercise?