The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 2, 2020, 05:20 PM   #126
orsogato

Although the dealer’s clerk put turn marks on the cylinder, I’m sort of with the dealer on this one. I think it was your responsibility to inform him what was coming in, that it was an unturned , unfired SAA. You should have asked him his procedures in advance and made it very clear that the action shouldn’t have been turned. If he had a problem with his need to safety check (and I agree that on most revolvers, you can visibly see if it’s loaded, however some you cannot). If I were the shop owner I would require any proper safety check of any kind of firearm to open whatever type of action it was. If you had an issue with that, you should have used another dealer. Lastly, the value of the gun is not “destroyed”. It may be diminished. Any damages would be the diminution of value, if any is proven. Would you sell the gun today for $0? No you wouldn’t. And many people would still pay a handsome price for the SAA.
Old January 2, 2020, 06:39 PM   #127
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsogato
I think it was your responsibility to inform him what was coming in, that it was an unturned , unfired SAA. You should have asked him his procedures in advance and made it very clear that the action shouldn’t have been turned.
Why do you think it is the buyer's responsibility to specifically ask in advance that a gun dealer not mishandle and damage a NEW firearm that's being delivered through his place of business?

IIRC, shurshot didn't have an issue with the fact that the clerk checked the action to see that it was empty. The problem was that the clerk did it improperly and caused permanent damage to the firearm in the process.
Jeepaholic
Old January 3, 2020, 08:12 AM   #128
shurshot

Orsogato,

It appears you didn't read the entire thread???? Perhaps you should before taking the dealers side, unless you were the one who damaged my Colt and are still Gaslighting.??

If you order a brand new car, do you have to tell the dealer that you don't want to accept delivery if it has a few hundred miles on the odometer and a scratch on the door? Do you tell the dealer you don't want the salesman to shift it without engaging the clutch, or do you expect a basic level of compentcy and trust that they will respect and not damage your property?

Or do you expect to receive a MINT, sparkling new car? Would you accept it if damaged, swallow the financial loss
from the damage and the disappointment after the dealer / salesman lies & blames you?

If your opinion is the Dealer was in the right and I'm in the wrong, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Or, perhaps you should read the ENTIRE thread and think about it from a buyer's perspective before commenting.

I bought a brand new Colt. Through ignorant and improper handling, THEY damaged it. It COULD have been safety checked without damaging it.

This is why AFTER I contacted the Better Buisness Buero the dealer sent me a check for the damage, as they realized I would win in small claims Court and they would get additional bad publicity. Kind of hard to stay in buisness with a horrible reputation

Last edited by shurshot; January 3, 2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old January 3, 2020, 01:19 PM   #129
44 AMP
Staff

6 pages on this, who'da thunk it?

I like the car thing, but the "delivery guys" didn't put hundreds of miles on your Colt, they scratched the paint. Who, how and why is a matter for the dealership to deal with. Their responsibility is to "make you whole", by paying for the repair to be done.

They have done that, and the gun has been sent off for finish repair, yes??

What else is there to discuss??
Old January 3, 2020, 03:47 PM   #130
orsogato

Does the firearm still function? My point is that it is not "destroyed". Even if we assume for argument's sake that the dealer's employee's mishandling caused cylinder turns etc. At best the loss in any court of law would be the diminution in value between a cylinder turn marked Colt SAA, and one that is in "Proof" condition. If I were the dealer, I would consider reimbursing you that difference (without any admission of liability) just because that would be good business sense and practice if he wanted any more of your business.

Besides doesn't Uberti manufacture all of these Colts now anyways? Just get a Cattleman and put it in a safe. (Just kidding).
Old January 3, 2020, 03:58 PM   #131
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Besides doesn't Uberti manufacture all of these Colts now anyways?
Ummm ... no.
Jeepaholic
Old January 3, 2020, 04:02 PM   #132
shurshot

Ok, I see now. You take exception to the threads "title". If you READ the entire thread carefully, specifically my posts, it is pretty clear that the cost of repairs (rebluing the cylinder) is ALL I stated I was after and subsequently received. I never requested the total value of the gun. I never could understand why people comment without reading ALL the information first.. ?

They DID in fact ruin its pristine, unturned value, as at some future point in time, decades from now, with turn Mark's it wouldn't be worth the same as an unturned Colt in the box. At least not to a discerning buyer. That was my intial intention, to put it away, mint, for a relative to receive as a surprise when I kick the bucket. I'll get another, and find a reputable dealer.

Uberti makes a damn fine revolver... but it's NOT a Colt.

Probably time to close this thread.

Last edited by shurshot; January 3, 2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old January 3, 2020, 05:53 PM   #133
44 AMP
Staff

Glad the OP is being "made whole", and I'm sure the next time he goes for a new, pristine, Colt (or anything else) that he'll make sure everyone in the delivery chain understands what he expects, that the gun he's paying for be delivered to him in exactly the same condition it was in when the Colt guy put it in the box.

Not an unreasonable request, but one needs to ensure the people handling it KNOW what you expect. Hopefully if this is done, the people running whatever shop he uses won't let the kid playing countermonkey to bugger up what isn't his.

At the request of the OP, we're done.
Closed.