The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 18, 2016, 10:07 AM   #26
DPI7800

A big issue with the lack of willingness to train is a result of our false beliefs as men that we are a natural at fighting, driving, fornicating and shooting.

Without regular training we are marginal at best, at any if them.
Old December 18, 2016, 11:35 AM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

While crudely said, I agree. Many training opportunities I've been to, bring out the same crowd. Same with matches.

We have a solid core. At the new shooter introduction, we see 15 or so folks. If they continued we would have hundreds shooting but it still is the same 60 or so.

To build the repeat business in training, you need a significant reputation.
Old December 18, 2016, 11:51 AM   #28
Slowpoke Rodriguez

I urge you to look at a career in law enforcement. It is a honorable profession, and generally offers the best opportunity for those with the warrior mindset.

If that is not an option, you could try producing your own content for a YouTube-type channel and see where that takes you...lots of guys out there doing that...
Old December 19, 2016, 12:38 AM   #29
Koda94

why is it that an over-saturated market of MMA, Brazilian Jiu Jistu and other martial arts gyms are doing well but not advanced firearm training?
Old December 19, 2016, 09:17 AM   #30
NoSecondBest

Quote:
why is it that an over-saturated market of MMA, Brazilian Jiu Jistu and other martial arts gyms are doing well but not advanced firearm training?
You're comparing apples to oranges here. Grocery shopping is more popular than advanced handgun training. I can't believe how many guys think handgun shooting ranks high on the American public's list of things to do. I like it myself, but I realize that shooting just isn't all that popular in this country. The NSSF will tell you that 98% of all ammo and gun sales in this country go to the casual shooter who hunts two or three days a year...not to target shooters. That's just the way it is.
Old December 19, 2016, 10:15 AM   #31
g.willikers

The number of members for the major competition organizations really hasn't increased all that much in a long time.
Wonder if that holds true for the number of undocumented casual shooters who goes to a range once in awhile.
Doubt if there's much of a market for advanced shooter training.
Once the basics are acquired, not many people seem to want to know more, about anything including shooting.
Old December 19, 2016, 10:27 AM   #32
FITASC

One area of firearms "training" (more like instruction and coaching) is in the clay target sports, especially sporting clays. The top dogs in this sport are all sponsored by many different companies from gun makers to ammo and equipment ones. Prize money isn't where the income is - it is in the $150/hr+ per person for instruction and the DVDs, books, etc. and showing their face in an ad for something. Some of these guys make some very decent income in that regard. Whether that can cross over to metallic, I do not know.
Otherwise, if you get a good job with good pay and bennies (like working for CSX), then you can pursue this hobby into a part-time gig so your hobby at least pays for itself.
Good luck!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 20, 2016, 10:57 AM   #33
kraigwy

The biggest problem with entry level firearm instruction is the market is saturated.

Just about everyone with a military or police back ground is getting into the instructor business.

Good, bad, or indifferent, that's the way it is. That means the market is saturated so making a living at it is gonna be tough.

Knowing how to shoot, and being good at is doesn't mean you can teach.

I got my start over 40 years ago with the Anchorage Police Dept. No matter how many "firearm instructor courses" I attended, I was required to attend the FBI Instructor Development Course before the State would certify me as an instructor in any LE course, firearms or otherwise.

Also you have to have a place to train. I have up to a 400 yard range on my property, but there is no way I'll do any firearm instructing here. I use our Clubs Range, and have Club sanctioned training. We have insurance that covers any such activity.

For the guy starting out, insurance cost is gonna put a big dent into profits.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071