The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 3, 2018, 07:21 AM   #1
Lohman446

CZ455 Scout vs. ?

Looking for a bolt action "training" rifle. The threaded barrel and ability to add a silencer later is a plus. The ability to swap out to a longer stock later if needed is a plus. Truth be told I had not spent a ton of time thinking about this and I came across this particular rifle.

What else should I be looking at that I am missing?
Old April 3, 2018, 08:04 PM   #2
fourbore

I like cz. I have a 453 and a 452. The 455 is the current model. CZ is in a class by itself as far as old school action and wood stock with a good reputation for accuracy. You can spend more or you can spend less less, but; IMHO, cz pretty much owns the steel/walnut middle ground.

Ruger makes the rimfire American in a short threaded barrel model that accept a long or short length of pull module that can later be swapped out. The modules are $25. The metalwork is good. I like the rifle action design better than guns like marlin or savage. The stock is very light plastic. Not the best stock, IMHO. I also have one of these and it just gives up a little in accuracy to the cz. Easy to carry and still a full size 22 the way I have mine setup. I know some models have iron sights, but: I dont know if you can get a short barrel with thread and open sights. That is someone else to look at.
Old April 5, 2018, 03:52 AM   #3
10-96

CZ 455 vs... another CZ 455? The CZ USA website has 455 barrels, magazines, and spacers so you can switch out between .22 LR, .22 Mag, and .17HMR.

I haven't bought any replacement barrels as of yet, but I can't imaging pitting anything against the CZ rimfires. Anschutz is a step up, but I'm not willing to add $1K to the bill to see just how big of a step that is.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 5, 2018, 06:56 AM   #4
Mobuck

Son bought a CZ with interchangeable barrels earlier this year. It is exceptionally accurate with the 22 WMR barrel(the one installed and we haven't swapped barrels yet)which is surprising since I've not seen 22WMR to be this accurate in anything.
We can hardly wait for warmer weather and a barrel swap to see how it does with 22lr. I have an extremely accurate 22 match rifle to compare but it weighs 9#.
Old April 5, 2018, 12:27 PM   #5
fourbore

The 22 mag has come a long way. I think the 17mag drove the technology toward better bullets. I have several 22mags, including ruger, cz and anschutz that will do 1 inch for 5 shots at 100 yards. That is pretty darn good in my book and it is a result that is very hard to match in 22LR at that distance. Although my most accurate 22LR will cut the 22mag groups by 1/2 if I move back to 50 yards and shoot both.

The rim fire magnums double the useful range and maintain 1moa accuracy for that distance. The slightest wind at 100 yards will move the 22LR all over the target. The mag also but to a far less extent.
Old April 5, 2018, 07:25 PM   #6
Mobuck

"that will do 1 inch for 5 shots at 100 yards"

Back in the mid/late 70's, I never got better than 2-3" groups @ 100. That made the 22WMR a 150 yard coyote hitter but anything further was iffy.
I shoot a 17HMR now and missing @ 150 is all my fault.
Old April 6, 2018, 07:28 PM   #7
Hammerhead

I have the 452 Scout, love it, super accurate. I'm 6' and I love the short stock of the Scout. Prefer it to my 452 Lux. Gotta 4X Leupold rimfire special on it. Best I've done so far is 1-1/8" at 100 yards with SK standard + and CCI SV. Pretty good for a $250 rifle with a pallet wood stock.

The new one (455) looks neat, barrel swapping and suppressing are attractive features. I would love to try a 455, but the lack of mag interchangeability with my 452s would drive me crazy.

CZ's are always a good value.

I think ya' gotta' do it.
Old April 6, 2018, 10:46 PM   #8
Ledslnger

Can’t really beat CZ $ for $. Heck, I have a 64 action Annie that can’t beat some of my CZs. It beats most, but 30-35% of my CZs beat it. Realistically you can drop well over a grand on an Annie and not be able to outshoot a CZ. One reason why I won’t buy any more Annie’s.
Old April 7, 2018, 02:27 AM   #9
10-96

Quote:
but the lack of mag interchangeability with my 452s would drive me crazy.
I'm with ya on that. I'm not a designer or an engineer, and don't play one on TV, but why in the world didn't they make the magazines interchange? That's enough to drive a fella to dippin snuff and such.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 7, 2018, 06:39 AM   #10
fourbore

Quote:
Back in the mid/late 70's, I never got better than 2-3" groups @ 100. That made the 22WMR a 150 yard coyote hitter but anything further was iffy.
I shoot a 17HMR now and missing @ 150 is all my fault.
I got a marlin 22mag back in the 1970's. I shot that for many years and eventually I started getting occasional failures to fire. I picked up a Ruger American. The Marlin was shooting 1.5 inch at 100 yards and I was able to do that with old winchester super x in cardboard boxes. The Ruger really liked one of the 30gr Vmax loads and would hold to about an inch at 100 yards. (Full discloser I got a bad Ruger and traded it back for a 2nd gun - results are with the 2nd gun)

I suppose if I looked for the worse case load I might find a 3 moa results. But, I stick with best performing ammo, I see a solid 1/2 moa improvement in 22mag.

I read so many comments, exactly as quoted. They must be valid. And strange it is ALWAYS, the 22mag is garbage and the 17mag is gods give to rimfire hunting. Yet the same vmax technology is loaded by the same companies and available in both rounds?

Last edited by fourbore; April 7, 2018 at 06:57 AM.