The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old November 7, 2019, 11:44 AM   #26
jrinne0430

Primarily northern Virginia (near D.C.) and parts of Tidewater (eastern VA) areas are the populations centers and also have the largest portions of transplants (both legal and illegal). These locations are the source of the current problems and are heavily influenced by outside entities. They are completely out of touch with the rest of Virginia which is leading to disastrous results. I'm concerned of the foolishness they will have Richmond spit out. Texas, your next.
Old November 7, 2019, 07:03 PM   #27
jrinne0430

I wanted to share this post from another site. This sickening proposal was from Jul and likely proposed again this Jan when the left take control. Thousands will become felons...this will not go well.

Quote:
See below for ONE example (there are UBC's, red flag laws and lots of other garbage). In a nutshell, anything semi-auto that is capable of a 10+ round magazine is an "assault firearm" and you can destroy it, surrender it, or sell it out of state or become a felon. Same for suppressors, magazines >10 rounds, etc. Basically all AR15's (rifle or pistol), all semi-auto pistols. Revolvers and single-shot shotguns and "sniper rifles" are all that would be legal. THOSE ARE NEXT - just wait until someone uses a revolver in a shooting...time to rally the troops. Contact your Sheriff, your local board of supervisors, your friends, your neighbors and be ready to stand up and fight.

list from July (special session): https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...xe?192+lst+ALL

The "ban everything" bill with ~25 co-sponsors, all Democrats: https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...192+sum+HB4021

Expands the definition of "assault firearm" and prohibits any person from importing, selling, transferring, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing, or transporting an assault firearm. A violation is a Class 6 felony. The bill prohibits a dealer from selling, renting, trading, or transferring from his inventory an assault firearm to any person. The bill also prohibits a person from carrying a shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered in a public place; under existing law, this prohibition applies only in certain localities. The bill makes it a Class 6 felony to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport large-capacity firearm magazines, silencers, and trigger activators, all defined in the bill. Any person who legally owns an assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator on November 1, 2019, may retain possession until July 1, 2020.

During that time, such person shall (i) render the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator inoperable; (ii) remove the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator from the Commonwealth; (iii) transfer the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator to a person outside the Commonwealth who is not prohibited from possessing it; or (iv) surrender the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator to a state or local law-enforcement agency. The bill establishes an appropriation for the fiscal impact of the bill and authorizes the Director of the Department of Planning and Budget to allocate such appropriation among the agencies and programs impacted by the bill.

"Assault firearm" means:

1. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds;

2. A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the rifle; (iii) a thumbhole stock; (iv) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand; (v) a bayonet mount; (vi) a grenade launcher; (vii) a flare launcher; (viii) a silencer; (ix) a flash suppressor; (x) a muzzle brake; (xi) a muzzle compensator; (xii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting (a) a silencer, (b) a flash suppressor, (c) a muzzle brake, or (d) a muzzle compensator; or (xiii) any characteristic of like kind as enumerated in clauses (i) through (xii);

3. A semi-automatic center-fire pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds;
Old November 8, 2019, 01:13 AM   #28
ronl

I am currently working to get the county I am living in declared a Second Amendment sanctuary. We have 6 of 7 county supervisors on board as well as the Commonwealth's Attorney. We hope to have the resolution in place before the next legislative session. We also hope to have a referendum on the ballot to solidify the resolution, which I am sure will pass handily. I have also contacted others in neighboring counties who are working on it in their localities. I urge all gun owners in Va to get to work. We can protect our rights and we can send a clear message to Richmond that we will not stand for their garbage.
Old November 9, 2019, 05:50 PM   #29
jrinne0430

Link below is an assessment VCDL posted on another board. They will be having a large lobby day on 20 Jan 2020. Everyone needs to attend even if you need to take off time from work. I did not attend in the past due to work but will start taking off for these events. If there is any other suggestions on what will benefit this fight, please share.

https://vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbth...ns#Post1558119
Old November 9, 2019, 06:31 PM   #30
American Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrinne0430 View Post
Primarily northern Virginia (near D.C.) and parts of Tidewater (eastern VA) areas are the populations centers and also have the largest portions of transplants (both legal and illegal). These locations are the source of the current problems and are heavily influenced by outside entities. They are completely out of touch with the rest of Virginia which is leading to disastrous results. I'm concerned of the foolishness they will have Richmond spit out. Texas, your next.
I don't know about Texas being next. It's not like VA has been some solid red state lately. This election didn't surprise me one bit. It disappointed me, but it's not like this was some shocker.
Old November 10, 2019, 01:55 PM   #31
langenc

Many senate and house seats didnt even have an (R) candidate.

The Ds were ahead from the beginning. I watched as VCDL.com warned about the coming disaster.

630000 concealed permit holders and 8000 members of VIRGINIA CITIZENS DEFENSE LEAGUE!!! (I believe those numbers are close)

VA residents see post #29 (just above--take the day off)!!XX!!XX
Old November 11, 2019, 08:12 AM   #32
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
Many senate and house seats didnt even have an (R) candidate.

The Ds were ahead from the beginning. I watched as VCDL.com warned about the coming disaster.

630000 concealed permit holders and 8000 members of VIRGINIA CITIZENS DEFENSE LEAGUE!!! (I believe those numbers are close)

VA residents see post #29 (just above--take the day off)!!XX!!XX
Where were they?

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 12, 2019, 08:55 AM   #33
USNRet93

Quote:
Not in Virginia(lived in Va. Beach a couple of times, long time ago) BUT the voter battleground is the large(larger than either end of the political spectrum) undecided, unaligned, moderate middle. Neither of the the 2 ends of the spectrum will change their minds but lots in the middle, will. If the results are that scary, then the opposition did a poor job of delivering that message. To point at population centers and blaming them makes no sense...the elections are won or lost by numbers....to include those in more rural parts of the state.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 12, 2019, 10:01 AM   #34
jrinne0430

Below is an update from VCDL. As per the last portion of the message,; "Don't listen to the defeatists. That is exactly what our opponents want us to do. Be fearless, stand strong and united with all your fellow gun owners, and be ready to fight back when the time comes!"

Quote:
Governor Northam wants war

Northam has declared war on Virginia's gun owners: CHP holders, open carriers, hunters, target shooters, sport shooters, collectors, and competitors. All of us. (Northam wants to strip us of our right to self-defense and is even looking at confiscating guns.)

So be it! But we are very much in the fight

As the dust cloud has been settling from election day, my optimism that we can derail a lot of Northam's agenda has been growing steadily.

Admiral Yamamoto, after bombing Pearl Harbor in 1941, famously said, "I fear that all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Yes, that is exactly what Pearl Harbor did. And that's exactly what shoving gun control down our throats will do, too!

And we are tired of so called "compromises," that always involve us giving up some of our rights, and getting absolutely nothing in return. That is not a compromise, that's stupid!

Virginia's gun owners are model citizens, with CHP holders being the most law-abiding of the law-abiding. We are fed up with being punished and pushed around every time some lunatic shoots up another gun-free zone or some gang-banger kills a bunch of other criminals. We have no more patience for being abused and we won't cede another inch without a fight.

There is no such thing as "common sense gun control." In reality, gun control is a black hole that sucks common sense and our liberties into oblivion! It hits poor minorities and women the hardest, but it ultimately affects all good people. Criminals get their hand slapped and are released to continue their acts of mayhem with illegally owned firearms.

A government that doesn't want its citizens to be able to protect themselves clearly has an ulterior motive for wanting a disarmed populace. We dare not turn over our guns to such a government, ever.

It's time to organize and create a "machine" that will
fight back wherever gun control rears it's head

We can put a major dent in Northam's plans if we begin preparing and organizing NOW, before the new General Assembly is sworn-in in early January.

Here's what we need to do (alerts will be going out on these items soon):
Strong gun-owner activism in Democratic districts. Democrat legislators in some of the more pro-gun areas of the state voted gun owners with impunity over the last 4 years because they knew the Republican majority would never let gun-control bills become law. Thus, their bad votes wouldn't actually change the status quo and probably wouldn't wakeup and anger gun owners in their district. With the new Democrat majority, they will own any gun control that gets passed for the next two years. Gun owners living in such districts need to be extremely active. Reach out to other gun owners in the district to get them involved, get them on VA-ALERT, and have them join VCDL. Contact your Democrat Senator and/or Delegate and keep the pressure on them to steer clear of all gun control. Go to their office and meet in person. Some anti-gun Democrats have actually told our members that they have never met with anyone who opposes their anti-gun voting! If enough gun owners do this, it WILL get their attention. Contact your Democrat legislators whenever VCDL requests you do so. Let there be no doubt: you can play an absolutely crucial role in slowing down, moderating, or stopping major parts of Northam's agenda by putting pressure on your Democrat legislators!
Watch Teams for local government (WTLGs). For each locality in Virginia, we need a team consisting of one or more local members to watch everything that the Board of Supervisors or City Council is doing. The WTLGs are looking for anything that affects firearms in any way, including hunting restrictions, and keep VCDL informed of what is planned or occurring so we can react. If we lose Virginia's preemption law, WTLGs will be critical in the effort to block local gun-control.
Liaison Teams for Local Government (LTLGs). For localities that have some gun-friendly supervisors or council members, we need to be able to interface with them. The purpose is to get inside-track information on any proposed gun control or hunting restrictions, as well as to work with them to implement pro-gun ordinances or resolutions. For example, making the locality a Second Amendment Sanctuary against unconstitutional gun-control laws, or lowering CHP fees.
Liaison Teams for Law Enforcement (LTLEs). LTLEs will interface with local sheriffs or chiefs of police who are supportive of gun owners and are willing to stand with us in preserving our rights. When an appropriate time comes, we will be looking for chief law-enforcement officers who would be willing to speak with one voice with gun owners at the General Assembly. We would also want to be looking for chief law-enforcement officers who would be willing to make their jurisdiction a Second Amendment Sanctuary against any gun control that is unconstitutional. No law-enforcement officer is required to enforce, or should enforce, an unconstitutional law.
More volunteers at the VCDL table at gun shows, festivals, and other events. Just this weekend in Richmond, there were gun owners who approached the VCDL table and had no clue about how precariously their rights are hanging after the election - I kid you not! We must educate our fellow gun owners on the threat that we now face. Do NOT assume they know what you know!
Advance litigation preparation in case we have to use the courts to stop unconstitutional gun laws. VCDL and its attorneys are developing contingency plans.
A huge Lobby Day on January 20, 2020 (starts at 8 am at the General Assembly Building in Richmond). Speakers for the rally (11am - noon) are being lined up and will be announced as the event draws nearer. This time the rally will be in an excellent, picturesque location on the steps of the Capitol, instead of in the field by the Bell Tower!

More Second Amendment Sanctuaries are coming!

VCDL has already been approached by several localities which want to become Second Amendment Sanctuaries! (We expect this trend to continue.) VCDL has given them some guidance and I expect to see announcements of such sanctuaries starting in January.

Patience, please, as VCDL is dealing with a flood of
incoming information and requests

I am personally getting over 700 emails a day (as I write this, I have 1,004 unread emails in my inbox since Friday), plus phone calls, texts, and Facebook contacts, as well as doing radio interviews and speaking at meetings. Please bear with me and the organization as we slog through the flood of information and requests. (The other Board members and some of our executive members are doing their best to take up the slack. The VCDL-PAC is compiling some useful information to help with the upcoming fight in the General Assembly.)

Don't listen to the defeatists. That is exactly what our opponents want us to do. Be fearless, stand strong and united with all your fellow gun owners, and be ready to fight back when the time comes!
Old November 12, 2019, 03:24 PM   #35
USNRet93

For right above, wasn’t the ‘war’ and ‘fighting back when the time comes’, wasn’t that time the recent election?? What was VCDL doing to get their pro gun candidates elected? One previous post mentioned no GOP candidate on some of the ballots??

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 12, 2019, 04:06 PM   #36
JERRYS.

Virginians let 30 seats go uncontested to democrats. the number VCDL members is less than 5% of the ccw holders. this encroachment has been happening incrementally for years and was quite obvious, yet little was done to stem it outside of complaining. how many sheriff's have declared their counties 2nd amendment sanctuaries? doesn't matter, Va. is a true state police state. enjoy reaping what little has been sown.
Old November 13, 2019, 08:58 AM   #37
jrinne0430

The demographics has changed here. People from other states and immigrants (both legal and illegal) had flooded to this area plus tens of millions of outside money for the elections. Do you think what happened in VA will not happen elsewhere? It is spreading faster than you can imagine. TX is facing a similar fate soon and AL, MS, MT, etc. will not be immune from this disease. How do you stop it? Build a wall?
Old November 13, 2019, 10:04 AM   #38
thallub

All is not gloom and doom in Virginia.

The Democrats hold the VA house 55-45. Their hold on the senate is more fragile, 21-19. If the VCDL is smart, and IMO that remains to be seen, they will work with the less radical Democrats and rural Democrats in the legislature.

i read the letter from the VCDL on another website and it don't impress me at all. The guy talks about "sanctuary" cities. The letter had these very long paragraphs that make reading very difficult.

So called "sanctuary" cities do nothing for our cause. It is feel good stuff that will discourage Democrats who might otherwise compromise on gun control. If gun control with confiscation passes in Virginia the state police will take the guns, "sanctuary" or not.
Old November 14, 2019, 07:54 AM   #39
USNRet93

Quote:
The demographics has changed here. People from other states and immigrants (both legal and illegal) had flooded to this area plus tens of millions of outside money for the elections. Do you think what happened in VA will not happen elsewhere? It is spreading faster than you can imagine. TX is facing a similar fate soon and AL, MS, MT, etc. will not be immune from this disease. How do you stop it? Build a wall?
How do you stop it? With the same methods the 'other' side uses. $, mostly. There is nothing magic about this 'process'. 30 seats were uncontested??? Doesn't that tell you anything? BTW, it's not voter suppression, not illegal voting. That's a sound bite.
Get good candidates, get them funded, attack the election....it's not rocket surgery.
IMHO

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 14, 2019, 08:42 AM   #40
thallub

Some how i could not believe that Democrats ran uncontested in 30 seats. After doing a quick count, yep, it's true. BTW: Republicans ran uncontested in 8 or 9 seats.

How do Republicans ever hope to re-take the VA legislature when they don't care enough to enter a candidate?
Old November 14, 2019, 08:53 AM   #41
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallub
Some how i could not believe that Democrats ran uncontested in 30 seats. After doing a quick count, yep, it's true. BTW: Republicans ran uncontested in 8 or 9 seats.

How do Republicans ever hope to re-take the VA legislature when they don't care enough to enter a candidate?
Running costs money and takes time, and time and money are finite. I don't know the specifics of most places in VA, but there are quite a few places in which running for a particular party is nothing but a waste of time and money. That's a comment on the district rather than a decision in a party hierarchy that no one should enter a race.

As a general rule, in any consequential race, if a candidate of a minority party has anything resembling a chance, someone will run for the spot. I've counselled judicial candidates of both major parties, and opened with "You know you aren't going to win, right?". It hasn't phased anyone yet.

The reality of safe districts is that they are the basis of one party districts.
Old November 14, 2019, 08:58 AM   #42
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
Running costs money and takes time, and time and money are finite. I don't know the specifics of most places in VA, but there are quite a few places in which running for a particular party is nothing but a waste of time and money. That's a comment on the district rather than a decision in a party hierarchy that no one should enter a race.

As a general rule, in any consequential race, if a candidate of a minority party has anything resembling a chance, someone will run for the spot. I've counselled judicial candidates of both major parties, and opened with "You know you aren't going to win, right?". It hasn't phased anyone yet.

The reality of safe districts is that they are the basis of one party districts.
yet Trump swept the nation after 8 years of Hillary telling Obama what to do.
Old November 14, 2019, 09:23 AM   #43
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS.
yet Trump swept the nation after 8 years of Hillary telling Obama what to do.
Yet? Assuming the truth of your observation, "yet" doesn't seem appropriate.

There are precincts in Cuyahoga County, Ohio in which more votes were cast for BHO in 2008 than there were registered voters, and none of the votes were cast for McCain. If you were thinking about running as a repub in that area based on that information, how much of your time and money would you commit to that campaign?
Old November 14, 2019, 09:30 AM   #44
JERRYS.

Quote:
Yet? Assuming the truth of your observation, "yet" doesn't seem appropriate.

There are precincts in Cuyahoga County, Ohio in which more votes were cast for BHO in 2008 than there were registered voters, and none of the votes were cast for McCain. If you were thinking about running as a repub in that area based on that information, how much of your time and money would you commit to that campaign?
what you and others are failing to see is that Trump did not play like a choir boy republican. he called out the democrats long term grip and failure to deliver to the same people voting for them..... he played the democrat's game and beat them at it.
Old November 14, 2019, 09:43 AM   #45
TomNJVA

I think it's a fine strategy for the Republicans to funnel their available money and resources into races they have a chance of winning, rather than dilute the effort in races they have no chance of winning. I'm sure the party does enough research to know the difference between the two.

Here in southwest Virginia where the Republicans typically sweep at least 2:1 over the Democrats it is not uncommon for some local Republican held seats to go uncontested.
Old November 14, 2019, 10:00 AM   #46
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS.
what you and others are failing to see is that Trump did not play like a choir boy republican.
Jerry, that doesn't follow from what I've written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJVA
I think it's a fine strategy for the Republicans to funnel their available money and resources into races they have a chance of winning, rather than dilute the effort in races they have no chance of winning. I'm sure the party does enough research to know the difference between the two.

Here in southwest Virginia where the Republicans typically sweep at least 2:1 over the Democrats it is not uncommon for some local Republican held seats to go uncontested.
I'm not confident that it is strategic at the level of local candidates, though funding decisions may reflect a wider strategy. Running for office is expensive and takes a lot of time; normal people won't do it if they don't stand a chance.

Some people like to say that "every vote counts" with a meaning that it matters if you as an individual vote. In some places, places as you describe in SW VA, that's not really true.
Old November 14, 2019, 10:06 AM   #47
JERRYS.

Quote:
Jerry, that doesn't follow from what I've written.

I'm not confident that it is strategic at the level of local candidates, though funding decisions may reflect a wider strategy. Running for office is expensive and takes a lot of time; normal people won't do it if they don't stand a chance.

Some people like to say that "every vote counts" with a meaning that it matters if you as an individual vote. In some places, places as you describe in SW VA, that's not really true.
I'm trying to point out that in democrat controlled areas you cannot play the typical republican campaign game.
Old November 17, 2019, 03:38 PM   #48
jrinne0430

Has anyone contacted their state senator or delegate that may not be so far gone to the left about our concerns? I have and awaiting on another response.
Old November 17, 2019, 04:59 PM   #49
JERRYS.

Quote:
Has anyone contacted their state senator or delegate that may not be so far gone to the left about our concerns? I have and awaiting on another response.
if they are a democrat they will do as they're told by the DNC. I'd like to see a list of Virginia democrats that vote against any further 2nd amendment infringements.
Old November 17, 2019, 10:46 PM   #50
osbornk

Quote:
I live on the Western end of the state and everyone within hundreds of miles of me are deep red.
Closed Thread