The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 10, 2018, 09:30 AM   #1
BuckBerry

Rifle/Scope/Ammo Review

Guys,
Just wanted to "check in" after having used my new rifle and scope. I had posted a couple of threads a month back and got a lot of helpful advice from several people.

Rifle: So far I have shot about 40 rounds through the new Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Win. As far as the rifle itself, I've been very pleased with the function and the feel of the rifle. It is an excellent quality gun that I'm proud to call my own. Its a very consistent and accurate shooter with an excellent feel to the trigger. Ammo is cycled though the action seamlessly. The walnut stock is beautiful. Checkering feels great in hand. I love the tang style safety.

Scope: Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40, 30mm tube, CDS Turret. Duplex Reticle.
I've also been very pleased with this scope. It is the highest quality scope I've ever owned. The glass clarity is amazing. It seems like 6-8x gets you so much more than it does on a cheap scope. The turret adjustments are solid and very positive clicks can be felt and heard. Also, the reticle returns to zero correctly after making adjustments for longer shots. It performs well in low-light conditions, allowing for the full use of all legal shooting light (30 min before and after sunrise/set). I am now a believer in Leupold!

Ammo: Hornady Precision Hunter- .270 Win. 145 Grain ELD-X
This ammo is right on line with the quality of the rifle and scope. It has served very well at the range and in the field. It is very consistent/accurate. So far, the new Rifle/Scope/Ammo combo is 2-0 on Mississippi Doe!

Additional Note on the ammo:
I know that nothing really guarantees that a deer will drop in its tracks, but both of the doe have done just that. Literally not another step. The only thing I would tell someone is that there is no substitute for shot placement. I know that most people know that, but its worth saying even again. There is no substitute for shot placement. Both of these doe were shot at right around 100 yards and neither one had an exit hole. The bullet mushrooms and retains mass well. It would be a little tough trying to blood-trail an animal with no exit wound, in the event of a marginal shot. As long as you know what you're using when you buy this ammo, then you will be very pleased.

All, Thanks for the advice when I was shopping around. I've been very pleased with the results!
Old January 10, 2018, 10:51 AM   #2
shootniron

Sounds like a great rifle/scope combo.

Ammo, not so much, IMHO...I like 2 holes, every time.

Tags
eld-x , vx-3i , x-bolt