The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 27, 2017, 12:49 AM   #26
Machineguntony

I got the best Christmas gift. Nothing.

Why go into debt to give stuff that people have to pretend to like?
Old December 27, 2017, 03:14 AM   #27
FrankenMauser

Quote:
If they have to pretend to like it, you're giving the wrong stuff.
And, conversely:
If you have to pretend to like it, they're giving the wrong stuff.

I am notoriously difficult to buy gifts for, due to my very specific tastes/desires/wants. Yet, people find a way...
Old December 27, 2017, 03:31 AM   #28
globemaster3

I got an RCBS Rock Chucker Kit. My middle son got a Red Ryder which he's slept with it since opening it...

Now if it were warmer than -11 with wind chill, he could get out and shoot it more.

And I just need to get some dies, tumbler, calibers, trimmer, powder, primers, bullets, time....

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old December 27, 2017, 03:24 PM   #29
rickyrick

An Anvil... nothing gun related, I haven’t been doing much with the guns this year. Should’ve asked for gun stuff because anything is available now.
Old December 27, 2017, 05:31 PM   #30
KyJim

Quote:
I got the best Christmas gift. Nothing.

It may sound sappy, but it's not the money. The best gift I ever got was a bath robe my wife made for me our second Christmas. We were both students and didn't have a lot of money. I know she put a lot of thought and effort into it (her sewing talent usually maxes out at hemming pants). I wore it until it literally fell apart.
Old December 27, 2017, 05:36 PM   #31
5whiskey

Wife gave me money (per my request as I'm trying to get into leatherwork and need money for tools... but don't know how to tell her what tools I need). My Son gave me a BAD lever for an AR and Cabela's gift card. Oldest daughter gave me a Lens Pen (of which I really have a need for, twas a good gift).

On another note, oldest daughter (13) got her first "her" gun given to her. It was an AR15 build, and we just finished a range trip to test it out. She is one happy young lady.
Old December 27, 2017, 06:19 PM   #32
fredvon4

I asked for and got a few new books for Xmas

The not so worth while, was the recommendation of Hatcher's Notebook...

Dry read..not my cup o tea....expensive

Re-gift option for sure cuz will never read it a second time

I appreciate who the author was and his grand pedigree... BUT I am a practical modern fire arm guy and a lot of the pre Viet nam war info was just stories to me

I did read it cover to cover... lots of good poop for guys with an interest in the development and history of all things firearm related

And I must admit...to be confident in what we READ Now ----MUST be tempered with the HISTORY...if for not other reason than to call BS to modern assertions that are NOT supported by Absolute fact

So my brief review is Hatcher's Notebook.....is a Must read... ONCE....for the real history......BUT will not stay in my personal library
Old December 27, 2017, 07:33 PM   #33
cannonfire

Black CZ P10C, pistol brace for my HK SP5K, and about $150 in gift cards to my local gun club, a nice Suunto watch, and got my WWII French road map framed
Old December 27, 2017, 07:56 PM   #34
Ruga Booga

Bought myself a Savage 99E .308. It was shipped out to my ffl today. Wife got diamond earrings(boring)
Old December 27, 2017, 10:32 PM   #35
jmhyer

Primers, projectiles, a rotary media-case separator, and flip up sights for my AR. Plus a few other needed but non-firearm related items.
Old December 28, 2017, 09:16 PM   #36
turkeestalker

My youngest just started working at Harbor Freight and gave me a spotting scope that he bought with his first paycheck. A HF spotting scope is nothing to fawn over, but his pride and excitement over giving it to me made it seem somewhat Swarovski-ish in quality. We used it yesterday when we were pre-hunt checking the smoke poles at the shooting range and it worked just fine.

Aside from that I got some of Mom's special nut-ball cookies to bring home and some candied pecans from a buddy's Mom. Couldn't ask for more!

Both boys got a USA made Buck rubber handled fixed blade, a USA made PH1 Schrade and Little Finger... those were tough to find and pricey but well worth it. Both got quality cold and warm weather camo hunting rain gear and orange pack vests like dear old Dad's.

This was only their second year that they both chose to indulge deer hunting. Oldest took his first last year and youngest took his first this year so they're properly hooked and needed proper outfitting.

Ran across a couple of Nikon Prostaff 2-7x shotgun scopes NIB for $75 each and just couldn't say no. So they both got Weaver bases, quick detach rings, and a set of the TruGlo steel vent rib clamp on sights so that they could still use the shotguns once the scope was detached and the base stayed installed. Those went in their stockings and now they have optics on their turkey shotguns like I've always used.

I spoil them I know, but it's a selfish thing because that's what I get my real kick out of at Christmas.

added....
Oh! I did buy myself a Christmas present. Picked up one of the Yildiz pistol grip 12 ga. camo shotguns at Academy Sports and topped it with one of the Weaver Kaspa 1-4x with quick detach rings.
I know I know... Turkish?!?!?
It is a darn light and slick handling shotgun and the glass is awesome, so we'll see if it pans out.

Last edited by turkeestalker; December 28, 2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old December 28, 2017, 09:30 PM   #37
Kvon2

My fiancee got a Walter p22 in angel(tiffany) blue with a stainless slide.

Its funny, Santa must have grabbed my credit card earlier today though because all of the sudden I had a charge for a Bear Creek Arsenal AR15 in 7.62x39
Old December 28, 2017, 10:00 PM   #38
4V50 Gary
Staff

Not even a lump of coal. On the bright side, it's better that the mountain sliding down on top of me.
Old December 31, 2017, 05:44 PM   #39
firme67

Santa brought me a Tipton Gun Vise and a Wheeler FAT torque wrench. 10 yr old son got a Rem 870 20 guage. Both sons (10 & 8) got fishing tackle also.
Old December 31, 2017, 10:41 PM   #40
jclayto

I found a Burris AR 332 prism sight bundled with the Fastfire III in the Cabelas bargain cave. I bought it, but my wife made me wait until Christmas to mount it
Old January 2, 2018, 05:09 PM   #41
jugornot

Probably the last of the grand Christmass's for me. Autotrickler and A&D FX120i and an AMP annealer. Retired in August and budget constraints will affect all following.

Bill
Old January 4, 2018, 01:45 AM   #42
mack59

A new furnace for me. Out for almost 20 days - installed and finished the day before 20 below hit.

Got kids computer stuff and videos they wanted.

From family got a gift card to Midway and an echo dot.

Probably get new set of electronic muffs with gift certificate and surprisingly like the dot; hooked it into my sound system via bluetooth and with prime I can play tons of music - just say a specific band or composer and it plays and plays. "Computer play Bach" or "Computer play Grateful Dead."
Old January 4, 2018, 11:27 AM   #43
Plunderer

King Of The Hill on DVD, a Damascus-steel hunting knife, and a Brownell's gift card.
Old January 4, 2018, 11:39 AM   #44
AzShooter

Santa gave me my Volquartsen LLV 6 inch top end for my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. It has improved my accuracy and that's just what I wanted it to do.
Old January 6, 2018, 05:34 PM   #45
Slotback

Santa left me bills. I think some of them might even belong to some of you folks!
Old January 7, 2018, 10:09 AM   #46
thallub

i got a bunch of $100 gift cards. It's better that way: i can buy stuff that suits my taste.