The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 11, 2012, 01:39 PM   #1
technomage

H&R info please

I have an H&R "The American Double Action" revolver. I am trying to find out as much info as possible about the gun. Here is what I know, but I do not know how to interpret it.

It says "The American Double Action" on the upper frame. There are no other visible marking on the frame or the barrel, etc. Appears to be a hardened hammer with spur. Firing pin is conical. The gun is a .32 and is six shot. Grips appear to be hard black rubber. Under the left grip is the serial number 523. I have not yet cleaned the gun but I expet it to be about 75 to 80% on the nickel. Frame, cylinder, trigger and trigger guard are all nickel plated.

Pistol is only semi-functional at this time. Sear does not rotate the cylinder. Will cock for single action part of the time and will work double action part of the time. Has a rattle between the trigger and hammer. Needs some work.

Can anyone tell me when this gun was made and is is made for black powder or smokeless? From what I have seen on the internet, it is not going to be a big money gun if it is working properly. But I like the way it looks and would like to fix it up. Will it improve or hurt the value to re-nickel the gun?
Old August 11, 2012, 04:15 PM   #2
magmax

I believe I have the same gun. Probably made in the first half of the 1900s & therefore smokeless. They don't really have much value and in my opinion not worth putting any money into it. The serial number on gun pictured is at base of butt.
David

Old August 11, 2012, 04:19 PM   #3
technomage

Thanks! Your's has the same grips and is the same basic gun. Someone told me that some of them were newer and would use modern ammo and some were older and were black powder. I agree they have very little value, but mine was given to me and I don't mind putting a few bucks into it. May also experiment with nickel plating to see if I can restore its cosmetics.
Old August 11, 2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Bob Wright

Your gun is not of any particular collectible value, probably less than $100.

Numrich (Gun Parts Corp) lists parts for your gun. I'd fix it up if I were you, do whatever you feel like. Its not a valueable collector, but it can be invaluable in education. Go for it!

Bob Wright
Old August 11, 2012, 09:59 PM   #5
technomage

I have been looking into nickel plating using nickel sulfate, nickel chloride and boric acid. Relatively cheap to do. The surface has to be super clean for the process to work. Very easy also. Just have to use flitz, semichrome, etc. to polish it out after plating. You can copper plate with the same basic process as well. I would like to learn to hand engrave also and then nickel plate. This would be a good learning gun as I could not hurt its value.
Old August 20, 2012, 10:57 AM   #6
technomage

Found the info I was looking for. Mine is the 2nd variation of the black powder version made 1888-1897. Thanks to everyone for the info.

Tags
antique revolver , h&r , harrington-richardson