The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 30, 2020, 12:26 PM   #26
Bart B.

Steve, that's all true. I tried one like that when I was shooting master class pistol competition scores. Didn't help at all because I correctly focused my aiming eye on the front sight and the rear sight notch was virtually as sharp without that iris on my glasses, bullseye was a bit fuzzy and not sharp. Same thing with rifles. Records were set as matches were won without the iris stuck on our shooting glasses. Nobody cared if the target bullseye and rear sight aperture was a little out of focus. Middle of the aperture field of view is the same place regardless of its clarity or focus.

But it doesn't make the LOS (and LOF) cone you aim with any smaller. It just makes the angle error between LOS and desired aim point easier to see.

Last edited by Bart B.; May 30, 2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old June 27, 2020, 06:39 PM   #27
jdscholer

I've got a Marbles flip-up tang sight on my old M94, but I don't see how it is adjustable for windage. Any help would be welcome. jd
Old June 27, 2020, 08:45 PM   #28
mehavey

The knob on the side doesn't turn?
http://www.marblearms.com/standard-peep-tang-sight.html
Old June 27, 2020, 11:14 PM   #29
jdscholer

Well, mine is different than the ones in that link. No knob. It is probably 20's or 30's vintage. Pretty similar to the last pic in the posts above. jd
Old July 3, 2020, 03:48 AM   #30
roscoe

I have loved those pop-up sights ever since seeing Augustus McCrae and Burt Lancaster as Valdez. But you really have to know your range with a cowboy caliber rifle when reaching out so I have always been a little skeptical as to actual practicality. I can remember Burt Lancaster as Valdez calling the range 1200 yards, then dropping the bad guys one shot each with his Sharps. Hmmm . . . .

My lever guns use XS peep sights or ghost rings and they are plenty accurate. My 30-30 uses an XS ghost ring tapped for a brass peep and is 2.5 MOA-ish out to 200 meters. Beyond that the front site is just too fat, at least for me.
Old July 3, 2020, 08:00 AM   #31
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
My lever guns use XS peep sights or ghost rings and they are plenty accurate. My 30-30 uses an XS ghost ring tapped for a brass peep and is 2.5 MOA-ish out to 200 meters. Beyond that the front site is just too fat, at least for me.
That's because you have good eyes and are good at aiming. You are fortunate, however, many of us don't have the vision we once had. In my youth, I had 20/12 vision (I could see at 20ft things that average people needed to stand at 12 ft to see [sort of telephoto]). Now my vision is not good and I need the help of a smaller aperture to help clear things up. In addition, at 72, I'm not as steady as I once was and a much longer sight radius helps reduce the angular displacement error (both vertical and horizontal) so that I can aim more precisely.

Being able to see the front sight and target more clearly and being able to sight more accurately are what the tang sight with target aperture helps with. An XS sight or peep sight on the barrel is too far from your eye to help with DoF at all and the short sight radius makes it harder to aim precisely so those are mainly useful for those younger folks with good eyesight.

(And yes, I'm jealous of you who still have your youth and great eyesight as I once had.)
Old July 4, 2020, 10:11 AM   #32
Arrowhead37

I have five different rifles equipped with tang peep sights. Having almost 83 year old eyes makes anything else but scopes problematic as in I can't see regular iron sights worth a hoot anymore even with my progressive bifocals. I've never had an eye problem with these sights. One of the rifles is chambered in 50-140-550 Sharps and if that thing won't hit you in the eye I don't believe there is much danger.