Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 25, 2020, 11:01 PM   #1
mel80

6.5 grendel doing 1426y in 10-15mph nosler 130g rdf atn x sight 4k pro

video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcBOKegB83s
Old May 26, 2020, 01:09 PM   #2
stagpanther

You got me curious enough to look into one of those scopes and I think I'll take the dive for an upcoming build that might see occasional night service.
Old May 26, 2020, 05:19 PM   #3
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
You got me curious enough to look into one of those scopes and I think I'll take the dive for an upcoming build that might see occasional night service.
just keep in mind if u wanna do anything lr with it lighting conditions matter big time theres a reason i shoot all my 1000+y stuff between 7-9 pm or early am
Old May 26, 2020, 09:27 PM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
just keep in mind if u wanna do anything lr with it lighting conditions matter big time theres a reason i shoot all my 1000+y stuff between 7-9 pm or early am
What is that?
Old May 27, 2020, 09:55 AM   #5
mel80

ill post some vids when i get home from work to show ya
Old May 27, 2020, 11:41 AM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
ill post some vids when i get home from work to show ya
Thanks--but what is the problem? Mirage/shimmer, poor light resolution chromatic aberration etc.
Old May 27, 2020, 01:39 PM   #7
mel80

mirage/shimmer when its really bright and hot out

granted the tall grass/weeds im prone behind makes this slighty worse then it would normally be but i was down to about 8-9x when at this ranged id normally be up around 12/13x
this is with just the factory sunshade , an add on shade helps alot like one of those slip on neoprene ones u can pick up for 10$

the scope is at its best in very low light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZGEAP4CtKI
Old May 27, 2020, 01:47 PM   #8
mel80

heres the lighting conditions i find best for really long range stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5kDDO9T2nM
and even going a lil darker then that
Old May 27, 2020, 06:23 PM   #9
stagpanther

Interesting, thanks for that.
Old May 27, 2020, 10:53 PM   #10
mel80

like i said it works great in really low light dont get me wrong though it works great mid day to when ur not really pushing for long ranges
Old May 28, 2020, 05:02 AM   #11
stagpanther

That's not unusual, that's why exotic top-tier glass costs as much as it does and many people don't use the upper ranges of the magnification of their scopes. I'm particular interested in the night use rendition as well as the range-dope that you can load into the scope--have you found those features to be effective? I like the option of mounting the in-line laser range finder to give you an updated display of your "dope."

addendum: just noticed that the scope actually has a digital zoom--so that's obviously a function of pixel-rendering hardware and not so much glass clarity.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 28, 2020 at 05:28 AM.
Old May 28, 2020, 09:16 AM   #12
mel80

i use the handheld lrf instead of the scope mounted , i was told to stay away from the scope mounted lrf by somone who does beta testing and support for atn

as far as the built in ballistics calc i find it to be very good
Old May 28, 2020, 05:45 PM   #13
stagpanther

Thanks for the interesting info. Have you tried your scope for night hunting yet?
Old May 28, 2020, 06:38 PM   #14
mel80

yeah works great as soon as u throw away the ir illuminator that comes with the scope , the oem one is good for 50/60 yards

invest in a sniper hoglights 66lrx or sniper hoglights coyote cannon i have both and both are awesome 600-700y range with the 66 and out to 1000y range with the cannon
Old May 29, 2020, 06:34 PM   #15
stagpanther

Appreciate that. I wonder why the OEM IR is such garbage?
Old May 30, 2020, 12:05 PM   #16
mel80

its just a tiny lil thing pretty much like a lil pocket flashlight and it runs on those exspensive cr123 batteries iirc , i have mine sitting around somewere ,
aparently even the other larger ir illuminators atn sells arent worth the money since u can get a 66lrx for slightly more money
Old June 4, 2020, 07:02 PM   #17
stagpanther

Appreciate your advice. I think I'll look into the coyote canyon once I know my way around enough to take it out at night. Bit of a learning curve here--the range of capabilities is really amazing at it's price point.

I decided to mount mine on a build using an ARP 6.8 spc for my first platform to learn on, doesn't have the legs the Grendel does but is the better hunting round IMO at reasonable ranges. This tube is deadnutz accurate and delivers a bit more velocity than your average 6.8 spc.

You deserve some credit for your "marketing"--I'd be happy to credit you at ATN if you think that would benefit you.

BTW--how do you adjust for cant in the reticle (or is that a software function)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3090.jpg (250.9 KB, 129 views)
Old June 5, 2020, 09:16 PM   #18
stagpanther

Took it out for the first time today--took me a bit to figure out how to do the zero. One HUGE downer--which is what I think you referred to--is that the resolution (i.e. pixelation) becomes "profound" once you get to 100yds or more. My immediate impression is that while it's going to get you in the ballpark for game hunting and banging gongs--this is not a precision target scope. There's a good reason all their demo videos are done at unrealistically close ranges--keeps the view in sharp focus.
Old June 6, 2020, 10:33 AM   #19
mel80

mount ur abl behind the focus ring , its been known to break the bell off some scopes when mounted on the front , just take ur time and play with it and ull figure out how to get the picture sharp at long ranges , like i said lighting plays a huge part in it

cant in the reticle ? is urs crooked ? it shouldnt be or u scope isnt mounted level

on a side not i just plopped down some money on a nightforce nxs 3.5-15
Old June 6, 2020, 06:57 PM   #20
stagpanther

Thanks for the reply--I played around with it today and FINALLY figured out how to develop a profile and download it to the device--I can't stand going through all those menus on the scope itself. I thought about installing the ABL behind the focus ring--but the instructions are about as clear as mud and I didn't see a video showing how it's done, maybe I just missed it.

Can't go wrong with a Nightforce--great scopes, though these days I tend to favor higher end Leupolds like their VX 5HD, the one I have I think blows away a top-tier scope that I had that cost me over $3000.

Maybe it's just me, but what looks level on a scope to the eye never really is unless you level the mount and reticle. It may be possible that the ATN has some kind of auto-stabilization feature--it is electronic after all, but leveling optics is always the first thing I do when mounting something new.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 6, 2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old June 6, 2020, 07:20 PM   #21
mel80

get yourself the smartphone,tablet app and its alot easier to go threw the settings pages , and u can also name ur saved profiles anything u want that way makes it easier to find the proper profile if u have more then 1 saved

only thing i can think of is hang a plumb bob and look at it threw the scope and line everything up and then check the cant indicator on the sides of the screen and see if its reading 0
Old June 7, 2020, 11:15 AM   #22
stagpanther

I took the ABL off and slipped it behind the focus ring--the instructions say "3. Place the included Tape/Rubber housing protector behind the focus ring on your scope." I don't have any such part with the 1500 ABL I got--do you know what they are talking about?
Old June 7, 2020, 12:20 PM   #23
mel80

i dont but i can prolly find out for ya , like i said i was told to get the handheld and not bother with the abl
Old June 7, 2020, 01:08 PM   #24
stagpanther

There are several really big problems with mounting the ABL behind the focus ring: 1) the width of the ABL (front to back) is about twice that of the mounting surface of the scope--and one of the screws on the ABL clamp actually overhangs void--which means it sets up an inherent uneven join pressure 2) The ATN splash logo tags are raised lettering that protrude above the scope's tube body surface 3) Putting any kind of tape or rubber band (which I tried) to "protect" the scope body around the scope puts an out-of-collumn alignment between the ABL's screws and the screw holes in the ABL body; ATN's directions say torque the screws to between 40 to 60 ftlbs; on my ABL body the soft aluminum ABL screw holes started stripping out at about 30 inlbs.

I remounted the ABL in front of the focus ring.
Old June 7, 2020, 01:15 PM   #25
mel80

this is more then likely why i was told to get the handheld one lots of ppl in the atn facebook groups get a relocation kit to mount it to a pic rail , and they also make a ring kit for mounting behind the focus ring to fill that gap