The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 23, 2020, 11:26 PM   #26
Sevens

It’s the standard deviation that I would find compelling if it were possible to record strings longer than 10 shots. While you could write a formula in excel for that (well, someone with a brain better than mine could), you have to enter absolutely every shot in to the spreadsheet.

The SD just seems as though it could be of value if you could really give it some meat to digest. 10 shots simply isn’t it.

Magnetospeed is no bueno for handguns so I also wouldn’t consider one.
Old May 24, 2020, 06:00 PM   #27
Shadow9mm

saw a guy with one at the range a week ago... it was not going well. he had to pull out his old regular one. worked fine first few rounds, then started getting all sorts of errors.
Old May 24, 2020, 06:05 PM   #28
Shadow9mm

I made an oopsie the other day. 223 55g sp at 2988fps. thankfully it was a tad high and by some miracle it still seems to work fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg chronograph.jpeg (152.0 KB, 162 views)
Old May 24, 2020, 06:11 PM   #29
Shadow9mm

I decided on using a laser bore sighter after the near death of my chrony, made life so much easier. line the rifle up. use the bore sighter and a 3x5 card to make sure its the same height front and rear.
Old May 25, 2020, 09:14 AM   #30
jrothWA

Nailed my Pact1, two weeks after getting it.

Then on I applied a strip of masking tape 3" above the "eyes" and eve had a problem since.
Now mine model is no-longer service-able and I'll keep using, unitl in needs replaceing.

PS they usdate to newer electronics.
Old May 25, 2020, 12:19 PM   #31
TX Nimrod

Labradar. The OP is getting one, end of story. He’ll be very happy, I used an Oehler for 30 years, splurged to get a Labradar. Will never go back, worth every penny due to simplicity, data amount, manipulation and storage. Plus down range ballistics. Love mine, but you do have to be smart enough to read and follow directions....

.22LR - .223 - .22-250 - .243 - 6mm REM - .25-20 - .25-35 - .25 BB - .250/3000 - .257 WBY - .260 - .30 M1 - .300 BO - .30 Herrett - .300 Savage - .32 H&R - .303 - .338-06 - .338 WM - .35 REM - .38-55 - .45 LC - .45-70 - .50-70
Old May 25, 2020, 01:10 PM   #32
SixShooterBP

Been there, done that. Shot mine with a 87gr 6mm Remington. Needless to say, not much was left.

Now using a Magnetospeed. So far so good
Old May 25, 2020, 07:29 PM   #33
Nathan

Quote:
Does anyone use the magnetospeed?
Yes. People who don’t shoot pistols or shoot for accuracy when measuring velocity. Not me.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:12 AM   #34
tangolima

I have found a labradar. I have turned the corner. Thank you guys.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 26, 2020, 11:41 AM   #35
reinert

An older chronograph...

Thanks SixShooter, a comment from an actual user. A couple of years ago, I was at our local range and a hunting/shooting acquaintance had one strapped to his rifle barrel a few benches down from me. Between target re-postings I asked him how he liked the magnetospeed. He said as you, "so far so good." I haven't seen him since then, so I wondered how they may have worked for others. Thanks again.

Probably better than 15 years ago now, a good friend and his wife up in Montana invited me and my darlin' up to their place to visit. The wives went shopping and my buddy and I went shooting. I brought my 45/70 Sharps up there, knowing he was going to set up his "Chrony." Because I wondered back in those days what my B.P. cartridge was doing out the muzzle, he was glad to find out, too. He was shooting his Browning High Wall in 38-55, and was curious to see what his M.V. was out of that rifle, also. Both guns' cartridges used GOEX black powder (no duplexing), and cast bullets. So, all set up, he told me to take a shot after carefully setting up his unit, and both of us situating my rifle properly. His unit had a digital readout on it, and right after I took the shot, we both looked at it and it read something like (as I remember it, now) 1153 f.p.s. And just as quickly as we saw the number, the screen went blank, and he couldn't get it working again (NO, thankfully I didn't hit it! Ha!). That was the ONE and only shot I ever took through a chronograph. Nary another one since. That readout was near what I figured (and what others told me I might expect) my 45/70 was doing with the load I was using; 68 grns. of compressed GOEX 2fg, with a 525 grn. Lyman Postell bullet. So with that, I've considered/wondered about chronographs and what's available 15 years later, for use in any RIFLE.

BTW and FWIW:

Back in '02, I was on a forum for B.P.C.R.s and there was a thread going about strictly using black powder in a cartridge, cast bullets and chronographs. Not having a chronograph, I posted a question about muzzle vel. and the load I was using (the above mentioned one, same rifle) and what I might expect out the muzzle for f.p.s. (as here in this thread, just curious). A fellow shooter posted this info, which I tried, and after using a calculator and my lame math, I actually came up with a result, and it was pretty cool how it calculated, so here is that info for GOEX black powder, from back a fair number of years. I haven't tried it since, just haven't had the need. Give it a try if you use GOEX B.P. and cast bullets in an old cartridge just for the little bit of time and curiosity; it might gratify you!

BTW, I'm not sure where GOEX is manufactured these days, nor if any of the process/ingredients have changed to alter the formula. I can only imagine the old STANDARD GOEX black powder is still close to what it was 20 years ago as far as performance. (?)

From the old post, from the old forum, from a fellow B.P.C.R. shooter:

"Here's a formula you can use to calculate your MV, using the bullet weight and powder weight. These came from one of the Precision Shooting Annual Editions. They are for GOEX powder, and 30" barrels."

Fg: MV=2115-[1143 x (log(b/p))]

FFg: MV=2240-[1199 x (log (b/p))]

FFFg: MV=2396-[1320 x (log (b/p))]

b=bullet weight, and p=powder weight, all in grains.

The "log" here is "log to the base 10", and on your calculator it should say "log". Don't use the "natural log", which is abbreviated "ln" on the calculator.

This (following below) concluded the post I was given for the formula, and luckily my 45/70 has a 30" barrel.

"I have a chronograph, and in practice, my velocities are within 3% or so (30-40 fps) of what these formula predict. My loads are consistently SLOW compared to this formula, but it does seem to work fairly well, otherwise. It is good for seeing how changing bullet weights and powder granulations might affect the load."

That's the end of the old post I received a long time ago and using the old standard GOEX black powder for the formula. I might/could imagine there's a calculation that could be figured if a barrel was inches shorter or longer than 30" to make this formula work for a mathematically inclined B.P.C.R. shooter who might be interested...and who doesn't have a chronograph.
Old May 26, 2020, 01:29 PM   #36
hdbiker

I shot my Shooting Chroney Beta remote with a .243, and was glad I did after 10 years of error messages and blank screen. I hated that thing on a sunny day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I now have a cheap Caldwell for about 1/2 the cost that actually works when I use it. hdbiker
Old May 27, 2020, 11:47 AM   #37
ed308

Now you get to figure out how to aim the Labradar. Beware, there is a learner curve to the Labradar.
Old May 27, 2020, 03:35 PM   #38
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed308 View Post

Now you get to figure out how to aim the Labradar. Beware, there is a learner curve to the Labradar.
Thanks for heads up. I will figure it out as I figured out the chrony.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 28, 2020, 01:22 PM   #39
Picher

When setting up my chronograph, I set the rifle in the rests, aiming at the target with the bolt out of the rifle, then go to the chronograph and set it up so I can see daylight through the rifle and there's a couple of inches above the chrony top to the bore line.

Then, I go to the rifle and check by looking down the side of the barrel, not looking through the bore, to make sure there's sufficient clearance above the chronograph.

Then, I sight the target again and double-check the bore's line of sight clearance, before loading the rifle.

I then line up the scope on the target again and double-check that I won't blow the hell out of the chrony.

So far, so good!!

I also haven't fired a rifle with a bore-sighter stuck in the muzzle. That could be even more expensive to remedy and could get a person banned from the range.
Old May 28, 2020, 07:44 PM   #40
jetinteriorguy

I like my magnetospeed. As far as it affecting accuracy, my rifles shoot the same group size with or without it, it just shifts the POI. As far as pistols go, you can use it on 6” or longer revolvers that don’t have full underlugs. It’s fine on most AR’s although it may have problems with some muzzle devices, and some full length rails don’t leave enough barrel exposed to attach it too. Even though it does have its limitations, it’s very convenient to use and simple to operate.
Old May 29, 2020, 09:28 AM   #41
reinert

Thanks, jetinteriorguy, for the good little review on the magnetospeed; what I was generally wondering about.
Old May 29, 2020, 02:17 PM   #42
ThomasT

It used to be that if you shot your Chrony you could send it back to them and they would sell you another one at a reduced price. We have shot two of them in the past but I didn't know that at the time so I just bought new ones.

I have a brand new one now I have never used. But its best if you set up a target to aim at and adjust the chrony so its absolutely below the barrel.

When I bought the first one I chronoed every thing I could at the house. Pellet guns and even my Wrist Rocket slingshot. My wrist rocket would shoot a 230gr round ball a very consistent 215fps. My air rifles would only vary by a couple of foot per second. I had a lot of fun with it. But after a while the thrill wore off.

I finally just decided bullet speeds were what they were and accuracy was more important. And whatever speed my bullet was going there wasn't a deer in the woods that could out run it.
Old May 30, 2020, 07:19 AM   #43
Picher

Being an old firearms instructor and benchrest shooter, I don't dare to hit a chronograph, or would be laughed off the range! (So far, so good, but you never should say "never will".)
Old June 4, 2020, 07:41 AM   #44
hounddawg

laser bore sight and a piece of cardboard, you don't need a fancy one. One of the cheap universals makes fine chrono insurance and enbales you so set the chrono up much faster and be right on the money as far as centering/height

https://www.amazon.com/Wolfroad-Gree...g-goods&sr=1-9
Old June 5, 2020, 09:17 AM   #45
Picher

It would be great to attach a magnet to the bore sighter, so it could be attached to the outside of the barrel. I've seen pictures of a rifle fired with the boresighter still in the bore. It wasn't pretty!
Old June 5, 2020, 10:37 AM   #46
stagpanther

One word: Labradar--you'll never give anything else a second thought after

I used the "tube" method taped in the notch for quite a while, but that didn't work out very well in the long run. I carry a bunch of Allen wrench for adjustment in my range bag--I eventually learned that laying one (the long ones for adjustable gas blocks are great) in the notch make an excellent aiming aid. All things being equal--the higher you can position the unit the better--especially if your target is uphill from your shooting position.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 5, 2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old June 6, 2020, 11:52 AM   #47
hounddawg

Quote:
I've seen pictures of a rifle fired with the boresighter still in the bore. It wasn't pretty!
that would fall under the Darwin effect rule