The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2012, 12:01 AM   #1
C0untZer0

Is Cerakote really the most durable finish?

Rohrbaugh introduced a new version of their R9 - the Coyote:

They state:

Quote:
The NEW Rohrbaugh R9 Coyote 9mm Pistol features Cerakoteā„¢ Firearm Coatings, which improve performance and reliability over conventional finishes. This state-of-the-art coating technology out-performs any competitive coating in both laboratory settings and real world applications.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r9coyote.jpg (22.6 KB, 4074 views)
Old January 12, 2012, 12:23 AM   #2
ripnbst

From all data I've seen, yes it is the best coating available today.

EDIT: This is the data I am referring to. Done by the Cerakote company so take it with a grain of salt I guess but still, data doesn't lie.

Last edited by ripnbst; January 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old January 12, 2012, 02:31 AM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Cerakote is not as durable as: nickel, hard chrome, nitriding, cobalt.
It maybe the most durable paint, but it's still paint.
Old January 12, 2012, 02:48 AM   #4
nimbleVagrant

Is it better than Birdsong?
Old January 12, 2012, 11:54 AM   #5
CastleBravo

Quote:
EDIT: This is the data I am referring to. Done by the Cerakote company so take it with a grain of salt I guess but still, data doesn't lie.
Huh? People fudge data all the time.

Insert obvious joke about politics here.
Old January 12, 2012, 04:12 PM   #6
Deja vu

I was told that TiN is the most durable... I know they use it on drill bits and such.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 12, 2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Officer's Match

Ionbond or Dave Severn's Hard Hat would be my top considerations.
Old January 12, 2012, 05:18 PM   #8
lamarw

I agree with Bill, but it may depend on the definition of finish or coating. In my personal opinion, the gun in the picture is one ugly critter. LOL
Old January 13, 2012, 11:27 AM   #9
zombieslayer

Dan Wesson's Duty finish is tough as nails. Bonded to the metal at the molecular level. As far as I know its the toughest finish out there. Definitely not a paint!
Old January 13, 2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Olympus

Old January 17, 2012, 02:48 PM   #11
C0untZer0

Supposedly this picture of the R9 Coyote doesn't do it justice.

I think maybe this is a Photo-shopped version or something. According to Carl Rohrbaugh the new Cerakoted version of the pistol doesn't really look like this - it's more tan colored.

They took the picture down from their website, an actual photo of the real thing will be put up there soon.
Old January 17, 2012, 02:59 PM   #12
tahunua001

cerakote has a number of colors so it's probably the most decorative coating to choose from. it isn't going to be as tough as most treatments but after a great deal of research I would say it is the toughest coating availible. you have to realize that you are comparing a compound that is being applied to the outside and baked to harden to treatments which actually change the characteristics of the metal itself. no coating will last as long as the metal it's on but cerakote should definitely last a couple decades as long as you dont manhandle it on a daily basis
Old January 17, 2012, 04:34 PM   #13
Skans

The frame is still just coated aluminum - I don't see how it would be a superior coating to that used on a Glock slide or the hard chrome used by Witness.

If Rohrbaugh claims that their gun is "tough", lets see them put it through a torture test. I'd like to see it go up against the Ruger LC9. Blast 'em, rub 'em in dirt, soake 'em in salt water - is the Rohrbaugh up to the task??? Or are they going to cry about how it's not meant to be a range gun, etc. etc.
Old January 17, 2012, 07:53 PM   #14
checkmyswag

Everytime I read cerakote as creosote.
Old January 17, 2012, 08:01 PM   #15
spilot11

obviously the rohrbaugh isn't a range gun...who'd want to shoot a pocket 9mm that much? It's a gorgeous gun, still the best in its class. it's not a plastic keltec knockoff like the lc9
Old January 17, 2012, 08:09 PM   #16
Mrgunsngear

I agree with the above statements that if you consider a finish a paint, then yes. But, melonite/ionbond/tennifer will all be more corrosion resistant. Electroless nickel (and its' variants) as well. But, cerekote certainly will beat out duracoat or alumahyde for sure.
Old January 18, 2012, 12:41 AM   #17
C0untZer0

Well Aluminum doesn't "rust" it just sort of gets powdery when it oxidizes right? The coating on the Aluminum frame is for lubricity and looks.

Not that I like this color at all or even like Cerakote - I'd much rather have NP3+

And.. I don't really need the R9 to pass a torture test, I'm not going to be wading through swamps with it, doing the low-crawl under concertina through mud, or trudging through the desert with it.

I know lint can cause malfunctions, but I'll make sure I keep it clean.
Old January 18, 2012, 09:27 AM   #18
Skans

Quote:
And.. I don't really need the R9 to pass a torture test, I'm not going to be wading through swamps with it, doing the low-crawl under concertina through mud, or trudging through the desert with it.
But, wouldn't you like to be able to shoot the heck out of it, with no breakages and little signs of wear so that you could become proficient with it? If the R9 was all steel and had a tough hard-chrome finish on it and a reputation for being "indestructible", that would make me a customer....Rohrbaugh could even put me down for 2.
Old January 19, 2012, 03:33 PM   #19
zombieslayer

There's been this desire to own a Rohrbaugh in me for a while now. If they would build me an all stainless one I'd gladly buy it. I just prefer stainless.
Old January 19, 2012, 03:52 PM   #20
C0untZer0

People have asked for that but from what I read on the Rohrbaugh forum - Carl Rohrbaugh's goal was to make the smallest most lightweight 9mm pistol possible and making one all steel moves it away from what he was trying to accomplish.

I definately think he would sell them if he made them.

I'd like to get a raw R9 and send it to Robar to get NP3+ a-fied. I think Robar charges to remove the Titan Kote on the Alum frame.
Old January 23, 2012, 10:02 AM   #21
C0untZer0

This is a better picture of the Cerakoted R9

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/rohr...-at-shot-2012/

I wonder if this is the wave of the future, gun manufacturers don't put a finish on their firearms like Tennifer or whatever, they just put a coating on it like Cerakote / Whatevercoat.

Tags
cerakote , rohrbaugh