The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 12, 2002, 03:20 PM   #1
Jack Straw

How stiff should a Ruger safety be?

A couple of years ago I had a Dayton Traister trigger installed in my M77 MKII. It has only been since the trigger was installed that I have noticed that the safety is extremely stiff to operate. Perhaps it was this difficult before the install, but I just don't remember. I also don't know what took me so long to notice it and why I have been putting off seeing if there is anything that can be done about it. Perhaps that sounds crazy to suggest that a safety needs to be loosened up, but it really is difficult to flip the safety off (especially when wearing gloves).

Is there anything about a trigger installation that might have caused this or are they very stiff from the factory? I don't want to make the thing unsafe, but can anything be done to make it easier to operate?

It hasn't actually messed me up while hunting (so far) but there have been times when the thought of sitting there with the safety at the halfway load/unload position has crossed my mind (I have not yet yielded to that temptation...and I won't, I promise). I frequently wish the thing had a tang mounted safety. Argh!

Jack
Old January 13, 2002, 09:18 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Jack, It could be that the trigger is interferring with the safety. If so then the trigger needs a little relief at that point. Does it work properly out of the stock? I don't know if this applies to yours or not but a guy brought one in the other day with a safety that wouldn't move at all. I took it apart while he was here just to get an idea of what might be needed to repair it and I could find nothing wrong. Out of the stock it worked fine. I thought maybe it was rubbing on the wood so I put it back in with just the front and rear guard screws and it worked fine. I put the center screw in, got it snug and I noticed the safety was a bit stiffer so I tightened the screw a little more and the safety froze again. I put the screw back to just snug like it should be and it worked fine. George
Old January 14, 2002, 10:08 AM   #3
Jack Straw

Thanks George. I'll pull the stock off tonight and see if that makes a difference. When you say that the trigger could be interfering with the safety, do you mean that the flat spot on the top of the trigger that butts up against the safety (when the safety is on) could be too rough or too tight against the safety? I just want to be looking for the right things while I'm in there.

Thanks again.

Jack