The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2001, 03:50 PM   #1
jtduncan

SWCs - Lead or Plateds?

I can get 1,000 lead SWCs from Laser Cats for about $53 delivered versus $70 for plated SWCs by Rainier/West Coast.

But can't shoot lead indoors and around Seattle its indoor shooting 60 percent of the time at least.

So is it better to spend the extra $10 per thousand rounds and shoot the copper plated 200 grain SWCs like Rainiers, Berry's, and West Coasts compared to shooting some Laser Cast 200 grain lead SWCs?

Laser Cast makes a nice looking 170 grain LSWC for us 10mm and 40 SW shooters. Nobody else does FMJ or plated. Only lead.

I've been told that with about lead is that after 200 or so rounds, you should clean out the barrel some or your accuracy may drop.

Is shooting lead any big deal? Just have to use some Hoppes #9 or some Lead Out right?

I know they need to travel at under 1,000 fpos to make sure you don't have leading problems.

Am I missing anything?

What do you shoot in your 625 or 610s?

Copper plated to save time from cleaning or lead to save money and a slight less wear on the barrel surfaces.
Old August 17, 2001, 06:21 PM   #2
Steve Smith

I have no probelm shooting lead in several calibers. Lead CAN be used above 1000 fps, but the proper lead mixture must be used. Many lead bullet manufacturers make lead that can go quite a bit faster without causeing accuracy problems. Leading more often associated with high pressure than high speeds (I know, the two go together... duh) Whay I mean is, that a lead 9mm will often lead up when going close to 1000 fps, but you could use the same lead "recipe" and not lead the bore of a .45 Colt barrel, even if the bullet is again going 1000 fps.

I think that there ought to be a bullet maker near you so that you don't have to pay the enormous shipping costs...you'll probably find that lead is much cheaper than what you've indicated.

The bottom line is, whether lead is right for you...If you're spending 60% of your time in an indoor range, then I'd consider buying 60% of my bullets in lead. My understanding of the coated bullets says that they shoot just like lead, so you load data could be very similar or the same.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member