The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 22, 2017, 08:17 AM   #1
CDR_Glock

Winchester White box and semiautomatics

I have a colleague that has a an M&P 2.0. He has been having issues with a failure to eject with Winchester White box 9mm 115 grain bullets. This happens about 1 out of 50 rounds.

He has no issues with other brands of ammo.

Does anyone have similar issues? Does anyone else have issues with Winchester White box in any of their other guns?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old April 22, 2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Nathan

40 & 45 have been gtg in a max of Glock, XD and Dan Wesson guns.
Old April 22, 2017, 08:28 AM   #3
Lexspeed

I shoot WWB often and I have not experienced any such problem. I buy a wide variety of ammo brands and types. I don't have any favorite brand. I will say the for those that have the classic Luger P.08s, WWB is the clear choice among experience owners/collectors.
Old April 22, 2017, 09:47 AM   #4
tallball

I have bought WWB in 32acp with a... I think it's called a "trucated cone" bullet shape. The bullets are flat instead of rounded or pointy. The ammo didn't work well at all with several European 32acp pistols I tried it in.

The other WWB ammo I have used has been fine.
Old April 22, 2017, 09:58 AM   #5
TailGator

Before I started rolling my own, I shot a big pile of WWB of that very description. I had one box that had some mashed case rims, but no other problems. I haven't shot any recently though.
Old April 22, 2017, 10:15 AM   #6
K_Mac

I've shot thousands of them with no problems.
Old April 22, 2017, 10:17 AM   #7
TunnelRat

When you say failure to eject, what does the pistol look like when it malfunctions? A stovepipe or similar?

Maybe if the ammo was very underpowered and the recoil spring on his pistol very stiff he might get such issues. But it should be noticeable.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 22, 2017, 12:34 PM   #8
tahunua001

I don't shoot WWB, seen way too many threads with smashed casings, backwards primers, one kaboomed handgun... the list goes on and on... I only shoot vista brand ammo(federal, AE, speer, CCI, etc...)
Old April 22, 2017, 01:04 PM   #9
gbclarkson

I hope so!!! I just ordered bought a bunch of 9mm.

Quote:
I have bought WWB in 32acp with a... I think it's called a "trucated cone" bullet shape. The bullets are flat instead of rounded or pointy. The ammo didn't work well at all with several European 32acp pistols I tried it in.
I have noticed the same with my Keltec p32.
Old April 22, 2017, 04:43 PM   #10
tipoc

I've had no generalized problems with WWB ammo.

tipoc
Old April 22, 2017, 04:45 PM   #11
Mastrogiacomo

The WWB is the only ammo I use and I've never had issues...now Winchester Clean or WinClean - whatever it's called, is another matter - hate it.
Old April 22, 2017, 05:06 PM   #12
dgludwig

Quote:
I've shot thousands of them with no problems.
Same here. Great way to enjoy shooting with reliable and relatively inexpensive ammunition.
Old April 22, 2017, 05:08 PM   #13
FITASC

No issues with 32ACP, 380, 9mm or .45ACP
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 22, 2017, 05:35 PM   #14
Glenn E. Meyer

45, 380 and 9 mm seem as reliable as any. But that's not scientific.
Old April 22, 2017, 06:42 PM   #15
Jkist

I shoot WWB pretty much exclusively and have never had any issues. I shoot 9mm and 45acp. It's all been pretty good so far
Old April 22, 2017, 06:54 PM   #16
JoeSixpack

I shoot a lot of wbb 9mm and never have problems but I know some people complain about it.

actually the only 9mm I ever had trouble with is zero which is factory remanufactured (reloads)
Highly recommend you avoid that brand, I remember a box I bought had to run a rod down the barrel 3 times to dislodge stuck cases.
Old April 22, 2017, 06:58 PM   #17
Armybrat

My Ruger SR9 had a lot of light strikes with WWB 9mm fmj when new, but cleaning the striker channel solved that problem.

However, my Kahr CT380 simply will not shoot WWB .380 fmj at all. It eats up federal, Remington, and Hornady Critical defense all day long.

As a result, I will not buy any more.
Old April 22, 2017, 07:16 PM   #18
Kreyzhorse

Other than being dirty, I've never had any issues with WWB ammo.
Old April 22, 2017, 07:28 PM   #19
JohnKSa
Staff

I've shot a lot of WWB over the years with very few problems I can recall.

But I have run into enough guns that either "like" or "dislike" one particular type of ammo that I wouldn't be surprised to find that there are some guns that will choke on WWB.

For example, I have one pistol that really hates S&B 9mm ammo. Don't know why--but I know enough not to shoot it in that gun.
Old April 22, 2017, 10:06 PM   #20
Colorado Redneck

My nephew and I were at the range today. His Ruger 9e would not eject WWB 115 fmj. Ever. It would get the empty case about half way out of the chamber and the extractor claw seemed to just let go, and of course the next round would not be able to chamber. He had Remington ammo that worked 100% on 50 rounds, and PMC Bronze did too. My SR1911 worked perfect with the WWB ammo. He gave me the rest of his WWB....

Must be gun specific.
Old April 22, 2017, 11:00 PM   #21
pete2

All pistols won't shoot WWB, don't know why but it's true. My 92FS, 1911 and LC9 will shoot it. Know a fellow that has a BPS copy, won't shoot it. ????????
Old April 22, 2017, 11:12 PM   #22
hubris

My Stoeger will shoot anything but Federal. It can happen.
Old April 22, 2017, 11:23 PM   #23
Pops1085

I'm not going to lie, I pretty much only shoot WWB. It's cheap, readily available, and it's pretty much a known quantity for me. Basically I've only ever had very rare malfunctions with my firearms shooting WWB and every time it's just been ammo that's out of spec. Shoot the rest of the box, and the next, and the next with no malfunctions and you can pretty much rule out the firearm as the problem. I've only had one or two cases that didn't feed and that was because the mouth was deformed, otherwise I've mostly only had dud primers that didn't go off with the second strike. Love it.
Old April 22, 2017, 11:41 PM   #24
45Gunner

Way back when I was a novice shooter, I bought whatever was cheap to shoot, especially since I was shooting with a .45. As the years went by and I was earning larger paychecks, I started to experiment with the more expensive brands of ammo.

With nearly 50 years of shooting behind me now, I usually buy my ammo in 1000 round cases. I have also come to learn that high price does not usually mean better ammo nor does low price mean crappy ammo.

Being familiar with most brands, I can now tell what shoots dirty, what is accurate, and what is not. I do not buy WWB ammo any longer as I find it less accurate that most other ammo whether it be .45 or 9mm. My findings are not scientific nor did I keep an exacting log of one brand vs another. I know how I shoot. I know how accurate every gun I have is and I know what type of groupings to expect with what brand of ammo.

You may not have the same results.
NRA Life Member
Old April 22, 2017, 11:44 PM   #25
Cirdan

The only time I've had a problem with WWB was 22lr. I've got a Colt 1911 22 that just won't eat it. . .