The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 20, 2012, 08:39 PM   #1
OldSoul

T/C Thunderhawk

I have never shot a muzzleloader but I thought it may be something I would like since most deer around here go into rut during muzzleloader only season do I traded on a T/C Thunderhawk. I was wondering what input some of you might have for it as far as a review or other observations. It has been converted to 209 primers.
Old November 21, 2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Pahoo

Good trade !!!

I'm very familiar with this TC model so feel free to ask whatever questions you wish. This use to be one of my hunters, sold it and stepped up to the Black Diamond. You say that yours has the conversion and that's fine but I went back to the Musket caps. You have not mentioned if yours is SS or blued; wood or sythetic. These are good shooters with very nice tiggers. ..

Range-Time and;
Be Safe !!!
Old November 21, 2012, 11:30 AM   #3
OldSoul

Mine is blued with a wood stock and has a fixed 4x32 bushnell scope. What projectile did you find the most favorable and what charge did you use so I can have a basis to start at like I said I'm a newbie to smoke poles. Why did you switch back to musket caps?
Old November 21, 2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Pahoo

Quote:
What projectile did you find the most favorable and what charge did you use so I can have a basis to start
I'm glad you said, start as you have to come up with the shot-string as your M/L will tell you what it likes. ....

Powder;
90-95 gns. of loose 777
Projectile;
.44, 230-240 grns pistol lead bullet.
Sabot;
Honady 50/.44 (Important)
Musket Cap;
CCI, for now

Quote:
Why did you switch back to musket caps?
Less force, stronger nipple, easier to work with. What they call the 209 adapter or nipple, once broke on me at the range and I have never broken a musket of #11 nipple. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 22, 2012, 12:45 AM   #5
OldSoul

Thanks for the help. I will probably wait until deer season is over to experiment but go ahead and buy the stuff when it goes on sale.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:23 AM   #6
arcticap

Here's a PDF copy of the Thunderhawk owner's manual.:

http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals...awk_Manual.pdf
Old November 24, 2012, 11:14 AM   #7
PetahW

The walnut/blued Custom Shop (high polish blue + upgraded wood) Thunderhawk I had was very accurate, but I sold mine when I yearned for a removable breechplug to make cleaning easier, and bought an Omega.

Now, some 15 years later, I reverted, and hunt with patent-breeched, side-hammer rock & cap lock rifles - go figure ! !

Old November 25, 2012, 12:20 AM   #8
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Thunderhawk I had was very accurate, but I sold mine when I yearned for a removable breechplug to make cleaning easier, and bought an Omega.
I have a stainless I still use and my thoughts mirror PetahW. I only consider changing for the removable breech. Haven't made the change yet. In the end it isn't all that hard to clean and with the stainless I can let it sit a few days without issues. I do recommend stainless as all the powder is corrosive.

Two pyrodex pellets and a T/C superglide or something real similar from T/C. Been a long time since I bought them. I don't think guns are as projectile specific when using sabots.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; November 25, 2012 at 12:46 AM.