The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 17, 2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Colvin

Transporting pistol parts question

I live in Michigan, by the way.

This seems perfectly legal, but I want to make sure.

Say I have my handgun that I'm legally transporting to the range, but I have to go other places too.

If my wife or someone else is driving a separate car, can we keep half the disassembled parts in each car and not have it count as a pistol? What counts as a pistol in your car?
Old August 17, 2011, 11:00 PM   #2
sigcurious

For clarification, why would the pistol be disassembled to begin with? and why not just keep it locked up in the car while you run your errands before the range?
Old August 17, 2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Colvin

In MI, we can only transport to and from the range, our property, and the PD.
Old August 17, 2011, 11:27 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Under Federal law, the receiver is a firearm. Most states treat it the same. That means even if broken down, ONE of you will be transporting a firearm.
Old August 19, 2011, 11:47 PM   #5
Sgt Pepper

Is there any reason for law enforcement to do a search of your vehicle during a normal traffic stop?

Are there really indictments or convictions in your area against folks who claim to travelling to or from a gun range? If it's locked away in the trunk, most jurisdictions presume in your favor.

Don't overthink it. The law makes no mention of intervening stops, whether those are acceptable or not.

Your question fallaciously presumes that, if you are stopped by law enforcement while literally on your way to or from the gun range, they will believe you at that time but would not believe you any other time. You follow? That is the problem with the "travel" law - you are at the mercy of law enforcement regardless of whether you are telling the truth or are following the law. They do not have to believe you and how are you going to prove it anyway. The real question always is - how are they going to prove you were not following the law?
Old August 20, 2011, 12:10 AM   #6
Hardcase

The law defines what a "lawful purpose" for transporting a pistol is. There is a list that essentially boils down to "en route from where you keep your gun to where you're going to use your gun".

Now, say that, somehow, you're caught with that handgun in the grocery store parking lot. The prosecutor will have to make the case that stopping off at the store to grab a six pack of Pepsi is not "en route".

On the other hand, if you travel from point A to point B without any intermediate stops, you've met both the letter and the intent of the law. No problems.

It's unfortunate that Michigan has such restrictive laws, but I would say that given what's in the code, I would tend to err on the side of being a law-abiding citizen, rather than a law-stretching one. And I would also keep lobbying my legislators to pass some more rational laws.
Old August 20, 2011, 01:25 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper
Don't overthink it. The law makes no mention of intervening stops, whether those are acceptable or not.

Your question fallaciously presumes that, if you are stopped by law enforcement while literally on your way to or from the gun range, they will believe you at that time but would not believe you any other time. You follow? That is the problem with the "travel" law - you are at the mercy of law enforcement regardless of whether you are telling the truth or are following the law. They do not have to believe you and how are you going to prove it anyway. The real question always is - how are they going to prove you were not following the law?
Forum rules:

5. Topics and conduct that will not be tolerated:
  • Drive-by cut and paste posting
  • Puerile bickering
  • Political Advocacy posts, or any purely political topic. However, some very few exceptions may be made.
  • Conspiracy threads or posts
  • Posts or threads on Race, Religion, and Sexuality
  • The End Of The World As We Know It (TEOTWAWKI), AKA: SHTF or Doomsday threads and Zombie threads
  • Knowingly and willfully advocating violation of a standing federal or state law (any state)
  • Violating our Copyrighted Material Policy
Old August 23, 2011, 03:15 PM   #8
drtodd

MCL 750.227(2) makes it a felony for a person to transport a pistol anywhere in a vehicle unless the person is licensed to carry a concealed pistol. Exceptions to the above statute are found in MCL 750.231a and section e.

A person may transport a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed (registered) by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.
The exception allows for transportation of pistols in a vehicle for a “lawful purpose.”
A lawful purpose includes going to or from any one of the following:
 A hunting or target area
 A place of repair
 Moving goods from a home or business to
another home or business
 A law enforcement agency (for a safety
inspection or to turn the pistol over to the agency)
 A gun show or place of sale or purchase
 A public shooting facility
 Public land where shooting is legal
 Private property where a pistol may be lawfully
used

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(05c...l-750-231a.pdf

Last edited by drtodd; August 23, 2011 at 03:22 PM.