The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 19, 2010, 02:03 PM   #1
riverwalker76

I Need Help With Carbauba as a Lube Additive.

I found 100% carnauba wax locally for a cheap price, so I decided that I'll use it in my bullet lube since it has superior characteristics to Paraffin.

How much do I need to add to my beeswax to make it a hard setting lube?

I wouldn't think I would need to add it pound for pound to beeswax, but I simply do not know.

Any advice?
Old July 19, 2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I don't know either. Melt a little beeswax and try a small 50:50. If it's too hard, mix an equal part of additional beeswax. If it's too soft, use an equal part of carnauba wax instead. This approach should narrow the choices fast enough.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 19, 2010, 04:51 PM   #3
GP100man

I was gonna say go here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Until I saw ya postin .

I`d shoot Lars45 an email & ask em .
Old July 19, 2010, 06:02 PM   #4
riverwalker76

Well ... Dan from Bullshop said awhile back that he mixes 1 to 2 ounces per pound of Beeswax.

Maybe that's enough. Don't know.

I would think that the 50/50 mix would be way too hard. Considering the carnauba I have now is literally as hard as concrete ... I would think that you would only need a few ounces to make it work. I tried breaking it with a hammer, and it wouldn't shatter or anything. I had to grate it with a stainless steel cheese grater to get it to even flake!
Old July 20, 2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

It could be small. I just don't know? When you start mixing waxes with different melting points, you start to get a larger hardening slush zones. That may affect how you set your heater temperature on your lubrisizer. If you take the approach I suggested, working in factors of 2, your second and third doubling of the beeswax will get you to Dan's levels (1/8 and 1/16 part). You'll get a good sense of the effect of different amounts along the way. Just do it all small until you see what you like?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle